VW Caddy DSG advice?

Exanimated

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, have been planning to get a Caddy 2.0 DSG MK3 for some time and wondering is there are any owners who have experiences on wear & tear with this car?

All I understand about some issues are that the 06-08 versions most probably will have clutch issues after some 3-5 years. My mech also strongly advised against the MK2 1.9 TDi for various reasons like as it is a lot older, parts are more prone to be replaced and VW parts dont come cheap, and also that technically, servicing and repairing an MK3 is a lot easier than an MK2. (Not too sure how true these statements are though)

Any idea which MK3 model by year seems to be the best?

Have been searching through EVC and AVG forums but seems like both are inactive and a search only came up with 6 threads on MCF. [sweatdrop]

Many thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
(edited)

I am driving the 1.9TDI Caddy with 6 speed DSG. The model before this facelifted one. Still love to drive it after almost 4 years. It's coming to 4 years this August. No big problem so far. Coolant tank sensor was faulty but it was replaced under warranty so no issue.

There's only 2 problem with this facelifted one. First, the 7 speed DSG is problematic (Mechatronic and Clutch). Go check VAGSG and you will see. Second, the workshop is facing manpower shortage. 3 weeks to make appt for servicing of car??

This facelifted one was only launched early this year so I think very hard to know what wear and tear it will have. I like the front though, looks like Polo/Golf. The side and the rear are the same but the tailgate is now 1 piece which swing up rather than the 1 big 1 small door.

Edited by Fcw75

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for sharing Fcw75. Informative!

Seems like the new DSG 7 does seem problematic and they only come in 1.6 TDis now. I should be looking for a pre-fl 07-09 1.9 or 2.0 DSG.

A check with VAGSG on "caddy" term doesn't seem to chalk up a lot of threads specific on the vehicle itself.

As for the look of the FL, I think I have come across quite a number of threads from overseas forums on owners who did a bumper change to a golf gti bumper. Looks pretty good! However most of them were driving the panel Caddys. I think our SG models are based on the Caddy Maxis?

Hypersonic
(edited)

Thanks for sharing Fcw75. Informative!

Seems like the new DSG 7 does seem problematic and they only come in 1.6 TDis now. I should be looking for a pre-fl 07-09 1.9 or 2.0 DSG.

A check with VAGSG on "caddy" term doesn't seem to chalk up a lot of threads specific on the vehicle itself.

As for the look of the FL, I think I have come across quite a number of threads from overseas forums on owners who did a bumper change to a golf gti bumper. Looks pretty good! However most of them were driving the panel Caddys. I think our SG models are based on the Caddy Maxis?

No problem. Yep, the new one is 1.6TDI only. But it's the 7 speed DSG which is worrying.

There was 1 red 1.9TDI on sale recently at sgcarmart but I think it's sold, don't see it anymore. There's no 2.0TDI DSG Caddy for 07-09. It is a 2.0 SDI manual transmission, no power one.

Anyway, you can request for a test drive. The one and only salesperson selling commercial vehicles at VCS is Vince Loo. You can call or sms him at 91695111.

Funny thing is he was also the one selling the red 1.9TDI on sgcarmart coz I recognzied his number. [confused]

Edited by Fcw75

Neutral Newbie

Ah.. thanks for clearing up my confusion of the 2.0 SDi. Had been wondering why VW came up with a 1.9 AND 2.0 lol.

I had contacted Vince before, and got the quotes for the new Caddys and I must say they're not as cheap as one expects for a 1.6l van.

And as for Sgcarmart, I'm very skeptical of the cars i see there. A lot of them have been advertised under different dealers on other site with different mileage and claims. Also contacted a used car salesperson and he seems to keep pushing me to rent rather than buy. Guess new ones offer more security.

Hypersonic

Ah.. thanks for clearing up my confusion of the 2.0 SDi. Had been wondering why VW came up with a 1.9 AND 2.0 lol.

I had contacted Vince before, and got the quotes for the new Caddys and I must say they're not as cheap as one expects for a 1.6l van.

And as for Sgcarmart, I'm very skeptical of the cars i see there. A lot of them have been advertised under different dealers on other site with different mileage and claims. Also contacted a used car salesperson and he seems to keep pushing me to rent rather than buy. Guess new ones offer more security.

What's the selling price for the 1.6TDI now? Is it about $70K? Yep, VW more ex than other brands such as Renault, etc.

Neutral Newbie

Quoted on 9th June:

"The new price of the 1.6 Caddy manual and auto is $66800 and $72800 respectively"

↡ Advertisement