Bluecollar 1st Gear July 25, 2003 Share July 25, 2003 Beware !!! Drivers using Shell card and escape points will know...... Shell recently sent us promotional leaflets and include a 10% discount voucher for petrol. The coupon indicated that "$2.00 redemption for $20.00 purchase" and a huge 10% printed on the voucher. Also printed "minimum purchase is $20.00"; all looks innocent enough for un-suspecting drivers. What Shell meant was even if you pump $40.00 into your car, you still get a $2.00 redemption. So drivers beware when you intend to use the coupon, you can get better deals with even a 6% or 8% discount. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Autocraze Neutral Newbie July 25, 2003 Share July 25, 2003 Shell recently sent us promotional leaflets and include a 10% discount voucher for petrol. The coupon indicated that "$2.00 redemption for $20.00 purchase" and a huge 10% printed on the voucher. Also printed "minimum purchase is $20.00"; all looks innocent enough for un-suspecting drivers. What Shell meant was even if you pump $40.00 into your car, you still get a $2.00 redemption. So drivers beware when you intend to use the coupon, you can get better deals with even a 6% or 8% discount. i aLREADy ganna liao.... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bluecollar 1st Gear July 26, 2003 Author Share July 26, 2003 I made a formal complain to Shell on their website. Hopefully they will respond next week. Anyhow suggest you made one too, to let them know that we as consumers are not happy at all See what they have to say. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Modeldriver Neutral Newbie July 26, 2003 Share July 26, 2003 Thanks for the warning. Yah... those places that offer discount actually told me cannot combine also. So useful only if U end up at a place w/o discount, and if so, make sure U pump only $20. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Assassin Clutched July 27, 2003 Share July 27, 2003 I have made complaints to SHELL before via their web site for other matters...emailed them TWICE last year...and I'm still awiting for their replies ! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jimmyl Neutral Newbie July 28, 2003 Share July 28, 2003 Actually hor, when I read their $2 off coupon. I oredi got the impression that it meant only $2 off $20 of fuel, so I really don't think there was any misleading information here. I remember a while back, Shell also had a promotion of $3 off for $30 fuel. That one had many coupons. I think if you read closely, you will see that it meant only $2 off. No offense. P/S: Under the Terms and Conditions 1) to qualify for the $2 rebate, you must spend a minimium of $20 on petrol in a single transaction. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chippz Neutral Newbie July 28, 2003 Share July 28, 2003 me kenna already... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bluecollar 1st Gear July 28, 2003 Author Share July 28, 2003 No problem, Jim For the sake of discussion, no hard feelings Below is their reply :- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for your feedback. We wish to assure that we have ensured that the discount and terms and conditions of this promotion has been clearly stated in our July-September 2003 newsletter. Kindly be informed that the promotion indicates that we are offering a 10% discount on your next $20 of petrol purchase which translates to a maximum of $2 off on your next $20 petrol purchase. We have further explained the promotion in terms and conditions i.e. in (1) and (5) below: 1) To qualify for the $2 rebate you must spend a minimum of $20 o petrol in a single transaction. 5) Not to be used in conjunction with any other discounts/offers/promotions. We apologise for the misunderstanding and for any inconveniences caused, and will surely forward your feedback to the management for future considerations. We hope that we have managed to clarify the concerns you have raised. We thank you for the time and effort you took to give us your feedback. Please do not hesitate to call the Helpline at 1800-2615322 if we can be of further assistance to you. Thank you and best regards Shereena Lim Shell Service Centre ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- See the two statement that I've purposely bold. The first statement :- It is a no-brainer that 10% discount of $20.00 is of course max $2.00; can it possibly be anything else???? Thus my arguement to Shell is I cannot asked for anything more. That statement is effectively correct but without indicating anything more than $20.00 pump is no longer valid. The second statement :- We must spend minimum $20.00; question is why minimum instead they could have use maximum (I maybe wrong here, singlish not so good lahh.. ) I have since reply their explaination, and I do not expect an answer now. Maybe you can tell us how do you interprete Shell's redeem coupon. Seems that you only one never kenna lehh... wow... so clever... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jimmyl Neutral Newbie July 28, 2003 Share July 28, 2003 No worrys man. After this incident, bet you will be smarter to understand Shell's way of promotion. That's how I learnt too....from others' mistake. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bluecollar 1st Gear July 28, 2003 Author Share July 28, 2003 Yaloh...not expensive lesson but the moral behind is not right. However, we can talk till the cows come home, Shell know jolly well that we cannot touch them. Unlike other places where consumers have their rights. Imagine they can even sue MacDonalds for selling them food that makes them fat. Really commoners like us can only suffer quietly Just hope others learn a lesson and not fall into the same trap all over again. As for me really have to evaluate whether to use Shell anymore or not. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jasper Neutral Newbie July 28, 2003 Share July 28, 2003 Hello Guys. I guess it just bad luck you encounter such situation. For my case, I got my shell $2 discount from buying a donation ticket. When I attempt to use after pumping ard $50 of petrol, the cashier inform me that $2 does not include the existing 8% discount, and advised me not to use it coz the discount will be less. Such good customer services does exist but alas I did not get her name. If I remember correct should be a malay or indian (non-chinese) young girl at bukit timah (eng neo) shell station. Subsequently, I just pump $20 and use that $2 voucher. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bluecollar 1st Gear July 28, 2003 Author Share July 28, 2003 I am sure there are good ppl around , except that my wife and I never get to encounter them Bad Luck! No lah.. like I've said it is the principle behind. The wordings were misleding. Shell being a big name should have been more careful in using their words. The only thing I am sore about is the consumer's rights here does not exist at all . There is no way we could have our voices heard, regardless of whether if is petrol or any other goods that we buy. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Petrol Price Movement in Singapore
Petrol Price Movement in Singapore
Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!
Used Car Dealers Feedback (Part 2)!
Grab your Sgcarmart e-Shop promo code here!
Grab your Sgcarmart e-Shop promo code here!
Full DAy Bus Lane BEWARE!
Full DAy Bus Lane BEWARE!
Where to mod fuel needle?
Where to mod fuel needle?
Servicing car at Shell station
Servicing car at Shell station
Is it really cheaper to own an EV?
Is it really cheaper to own an EV?
Beware of Tire shop - Blacklist Here!
Beware of Tire shop - Blacklist Here!