Blurcock Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Hi all, I need some solid solid advice. I am contemplating buying a toyota vios (manual 62k), Mitsubishi lancer (Manual 67k) and a mazda 2 (auto 70k). I have done my research about the previous 2 models. But I am not sure about the mazda 2 cos it's a relatively new model. Can anyone tell me how is the car. And advice would be appreciated. Thanks. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 I don't own any of the 3 cars you mentioned, but I did some basic research on the Vio and the Mazda 2. I find the Vios is more value for money (OMV vs selling price). But, I think in the end of the day, it's down to what you are looking for in a car, b'cos both are of different cat (sedan vs mini MPV/hatch). Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Carnut Clutched August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Vios - Thai made Lancer - Jap made Mazda 2 - Jap made but not a saloon, new concept/styling like Matrix Really depends on what are you looking for.... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blurcock Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Author Share August 16, 2004 I know i might sound fickle. I have the info on vios and lancer already cos there r many threads on these 2 cars. But there is hardly any info on mazda 2, and since i might be getting it, I tot it's best to ask here. Anybody driven a masda 2 b4? how's the car like? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Ride quality for the Mazda 2 is good, but nothing to shout about. I find it very over-priced. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Remygenn Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Bro .. go for a test drive for all the 3 cars if u hv done so . Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dhti Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Hi all, I need some solid solid advice. I am contemplating buying a toyota vios (manual 62k), Mitsubishi lancer (Manual 67k) and a mazda 2 (auto 70k). I have done my research about the previous 2 models. But I am not sure about the mazda 2 cos it's a relatively new model. Can anyone tell me how is the car. And advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Personal opinion - rear sitting is restricted for vios lancer - i only worry about status of Mitsubishi Motors ( my frend who just returned from osaka and hokkaido told me he didn't see any Mits on the road, and the locals shared the reasons why) Mazda - hatch car has flexible seating arrangements..ever tried to load a TV set into a sedan??? mazda should be able as the rear seats foldable...consider mazda 3 hatch - NICE! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 (edited) That's why it's probably better for you to list your priority and test drive all cars before you decide. Take my friend for example. His priorities are 1) Cheap to run 2) Usually just him and gf 3) Planned to get married in 2 yrs & kid in 4yrs...so in the end, he chosed a picanto. He doesn't really care if the rear leg room is good or that the boot is big enough. I quote him" I bought the car for myself & gf, so I'm not going to worry too much about the rear legroom. The occansional rear passengers are not paying for the car, and I'm doing thema favour to give them a ride, so they shouldn't complaint. As for boot space. If I have too much to carry, I'll just put down the back seat and I'll get 'boot-space' as big as any larger sedan." As for me, when I was at his age. My prioirties were 1) Relatively cheap to run 2)Handling & power 3) Relatively good built quality 4)A car for just me and gf. For that, I got myself a Renault Clio. Edited August 16, 2004 by Silver_blade Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheekg99 Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 3 models in different categories ... probably u have to zoom in what u want ...eg. budget, features, looks ... etc Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Well said Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blurcock Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Author Share August 16, 2004 Actually, I got go testdrive all 3 already. But still cannot make a decision leh. So hoping for some bros here to tell me the bad and good points of mazda. sometimes i think i just can't make up my mind..hehe Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sinner Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 (edited) Since u had teat-drive these 3 model, so what's holding u back now? These 3 cars shouldn't have much problems cos 1) it's a new car 2) as all the above ppl mention b4 if $$ no problem, follow ur heart n go with madaza2!! Can se u fancy this model more. Not very common on the rd now cos it's new n pricey but nice car be in it. my$0.02 Edited August 16, 2004 by Sinner Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 (edited) With my limited knowledge of Mazda 2, I concluded that it is:- PROS a) Flexible seating arrangment b) Fine engine c) Come standard with bodykits d) Fun to drive CONS e) Over-priced (too much mark up by the agent) f) Re-sale value (as compared to Toyota & if 2nd hand car market recover) g) Quality of interior fitting comparable to cars which cost a few thousands dollar cheaper h) Looks a bit dated But the above, wouldn't be an absolutely fair assessment, b'cos everybody's expectations is diiferent, so is each one's priority. Maybe you can start considering some of points Cheekg99 mentioned:- 1) Budget 2) Type of cars (Hatch/Sedan) 3) Purpose (ie. to ferry family; size, work, etc) 4) Styling (Sporty/Conservative) 5) Handling 6) No. of features (ABS, no. of airbag, etc) Edited August 16, 2004 by Silver_blade Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blurcock Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Author Share August 16, 2004 Actually, I kind of prefer the vios and lancer cos i like sedan car. but the mazda 2 is really quite well made compared to the other 2. the interior is nicer and u can feel that the built quality is quite good...esp when it comes to tackling bumps. But then it's an auto...i think manual more power leh. so many things to consider. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Between Vios and Lancer, I will choose the former. Vios is sitting on the Echo's platform which is newer than Lancer's. If my memory serve me right, the current lancer's platform is a tweaked version of those made in 1993...but I could be wrong. Vios' ride is also more refined and the price mark-up is also lower. But BM's salesperson usually have bad attitude. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Blurcock Neutral Newbie August 16, 2004 Author Share August 16, 2004 i find the sales attitude of BM quite alright lah. i went there yesterday. served by a rather sweet looking lady. but like cannot negotiate for freebies one leh...nothing given at all. lancer ride not bad too...more exciting driving a lancer, cos if i buy, i will get the sports version which comes with bodykit and oz sports rim. but mazda also good. anybody driven the mazda 2 b4? any feedbacks? i hoping to make a decision by this week. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 Enjoy shopping for a car and good luck in your purchase. This is the best part. Once you own one, the fun factor will turn to headache...cos of installment, servicing, road tax,mods etc..... Just joking..... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Toyo 1st Gear August 16, 2004 Share August 16, 2004 i find the sales attitude of BM quite alright lah. i went there yesterday. served by a rather sweet looking lady. but like cannot negotiate for freebies one leh...nothing given at all. I used to drive a Toyota until i gave it up recently. for my case, reasons for not getting another toyota are: 1) Poor after sales service - my previous soluna had several problems such as alarms, central locking, power window, exterior door handle broke into half... etc. The turnaround time for solving all my problems are very long, the longest being the faulty power window. took them about 3 mths to solve it. claim they had no spares. how can this be??? 2) Poor service from SE. I was at the showrooms 3 times. I was never served. not even once. In the end, had to help myself. 3) toyota cars are too common on the road My advise. toyota are no doubt good cars but it's definitely worth to look at other alternatives. that was what i did. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
2026 Mazda EZ-60 / CX-6e
2026 Mazda EZ-60 / CX-6e
2025 Mazda 6e
2025 Mazda 6e
MAZDA 6
MAZDA 6
Mazda FC3S RX-7
Mazda FC3S RX-7
Win a Limited-Edition Mazda RX-7 Diecast in Sgcarmart livery!
Win a Limited-Edition Mazda RX-7 Diecast in Sgcarmart livery!
2022 Mazda CX-5 Facelift
2022 Mazda CX-5 Facelift
Original Mazda MX-5 chief designer dead 😢
Original Mazda MX-5 chief designer dead 😢
2022 Mazda CX-60
2022 Mazda CX-60