Jump to content

Air con not cold enough


Toledosun
 Share

Recommended Posts

Neutral Newbie

Noticed that during hot weather, the climatronic fan speed is very high but the air is still not very cool. Car is coming into its fourth year and I've already changed the compressor. Is there anything else that needs to be done, short of changing the car ?

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

Had a similar problem. Did you check whether the 2 fans are working?

Mine was no, and that screwed up the pressure valve for the coolant. Had to replace the valve and fan....painful to the pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

a. Look at the Air Con evaporator for any bubbles, if so, means you need to top up the gas.

b. Check the air con button is switch to on and also closing of the recycle button.

c. There should be a clicking in and out sound if the compressor is working, if not, it is the compressor.

d. If there is a leak somewhere, it needs to be track using a flame equipement, used by the aircon guys.

e. Main fan not working optimumly, or having a large intake feel, it is carbonised, need to clean. Hence it might be turning but not cooling enough.

Edited by Fortress
Link to post
Share on other sites

How long does the air con compressor last? how much was the damage? If not convenient to reveal the cost and where, can PM me. Thanks.

 

My car is coming to 3 years by year end and I have not done anything to the aircon. I should count myself lucky. There used to be a recommendation to this chap at the BP at Upper Thomson Road (I vaguely recalled that his name has some commonality with our car (Mr Peter Seat or something). Now that SPC had taken over and the station had been renovated and perhaps under new management, dunno if he is still there?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

Cost was about $400+. Can't really remember but I know I changed a sanden compressor.

 

Coming into the office, I noticed that the aircon was cold enough. Guess it's only during hot weather when it's not performing as expected. I typically set my air con at 22 deg C. Works fine on most days but on hot days, the fan speed goes up but the air doesn't feel any cooler.

 

I remember that Peter Seat guy as well. I think people said he did a real good job of cleaning out the aircon and after the clean up, the air con felt cooler. Anybody know where he went?

 

What does the buddy club do for the air con? I went to the link before but wasn't sure if it works by flushing the air con, or by changing the compressor fluid or what?

Link to post
Share on other sites

hiya todysun,

 

i've been using the buddyclub (blue and red) for more than a year, close to 2 years. It is an aircon compresser lubricant or something like dat, more info on the web, but it is more for preventive maintenance. I did it at Riverview (AMK autopoint) and after they fill in, they also check the aircon temp. aircon became quieter and colder after using the product

 

my aircon is set at 21.5degC on most of the time ........ but it got colder after doing the thermal barrier coating on my exhaust manifolds.... as engine bay is much cooler.

 

quack! [:p]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

I had a aircon failure with my previous cordy, the price you paid for the compressor was considered much more reasonable as compared to my encounter, refer to thread,

http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi...good%20;#681631

 

IMHO, just finds that sometimes VAG workshop would usually propose straight forward replacement of parts without even doing proper diagnostics(time consuming). The only reason I went for VAG workshop is that mine was an integrated AC-Radio-Engine display all in one, most other workshop will not even take a second look! shakehead.gif

 

Lesson learned, I would consider AC an electronic problem and can be rectified by reliable AC specialist. nod.gif

 

Given up on the cordy, but still have faith in SEAT cars......

Link to post
Share on other sites

many seatizens hv tried his service...and so far feedback has mostly been positive.

 

he can do normal servicing/cleaning, replacement of parts etc. He ever changed the front panel mentioned by JHoo (dont know wat u call that) for mk1gti (wan) for $400 (thereabout) and its considered very cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

my car air con is amazing, when hot weather, it will give you hot air, when cold weather, it will be like fridge, damn it! [blush]

Link to post
Share on other sites

That time after i changed my compressor, a few wks later. The air con wasn't cold, went back to servo, they changed something don't know what its called. Must remove the dash to change it. Cost around 300-400.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Toledosun,

 

Have you recified your problem?

 

I am also driving a toledo and faces problem with my aircon too. However my problem is direct opposite of yours. During hot weather no problem, but during the nite if I drive for 20mins or more no matter how high the fan speed i put to, no air seems to flow out of the aircon vent.(can hear that the fan is blowing though) This also happens on very cold weather like raining days. If I will to draw air from outside, I can drive longer with the aircon functioning longer but after another 10mins or so..problem surfaces.

 

Went down to Servo and they replaced the valve for $120, but the problem still persisted. The aircon compressor and the fan motor are both running, so I still can't dignosed the root of the problem.

 

Does anyone knows if Toledo has a thermistor? Just got back from up north and the return trip during the night is terrible as no aircon and wifey and baby got edgy and uncomfortable and thus have to stop for like 20mins, after which aircon funtion again. Because of this, I suspect that the thermistor could be faulty, if there is one.

 

Can anyone help?

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...