Comment on Mazda 5

Ray7456

Dear Forumers, any comment on this cars? I have done a search here but not much info. I'm looking for engine reliability & how does it fair against Honda Stream. Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I own a Mz5 since Oct05, so far as good. Handling is good ( in fact very good for a MPV), FC about 11km/l ( I drive 70% highway, 30% city ). Space and sliding door makes mz5 a much better car compared to Stream ( new and old stream are very narrow for the third row ). The 6+1 seat arrangement is first of its kind and it make the seat arrangement very flexiblem especially if you have young kids who cannot decide to sit on second or third row. In addition, it comes with sun roof, auto headlight, wiper and all these make the driving experience very pleasant. overall, I think it is a better car compared to Stream ( and also Picnic/Wish which I compared previously as well ).

You can visit MazdaClub website or PM me if you need more info.

I owned a Mz5 for 2 yrs. My take: If u enjoy driving and can't imagine being stuck in a roly-poly MPV, this is the MPV for u. The 2.0L MZR engine is pretty torquey for it's size and steering response is sharper than even many other sedans or hot hatches. Interior design is definitely a notch up from the Honda Stream (sorry but do find the KM beige/black combo and cheap-looking biege leather looking rather low rent). The electric sunroof, auto headlights and rain-sensing wipers gives it that added upmarket feel. The +/- position of the tiptronic is also positioned the right way for more intuitive use. And of course, the sliding doors are simply thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif.

But the weakest link of the car certainly has to be the wimpy and noisy a/c blower and also the lack of rear a/c. On a hot day, it's not the best place to be in.

But overall, it has been a reliable workhorse for me and no regrets buying it. If onli it came with the S-Max's volvo-sourced a 2.5L turbo mill....tongue.gif

Thanks for the feedback [thumbsup] . It seems that the lack of rear a/c is prevalent in most small to mid size mpv. This covers stream and wish too though kia carens has a 2nd row a/c. Of cos, kia is different breed from sushi. By the way, how is maintenance like for this car like servicing and parts costs.

Interior design is definitely a notch up from the Honda Stream (sorry but do find the KM beige/black combo and cheap-looking biege leather looking rather low rent).

PI Stream interior is much nicer compare to KM version.

I had consider Mazda 5 before, to me, the green colour gauge(meter) is something that I do not like.

Overall, Mazda 5 is a very good MPV, especially the sliding door.

maintenance cost is typical of jap car i.e. affordable. wink.gif a typical 10k service can be done at authorised mazda service ctrs like certain shell proserve workshops for ard $160.

Facelifted Mz5 arriving soon in Singapore.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9070907.008/ma...ift-launched-ja

New features as compared to pre-facelift:

- sequential valve timing (S-VT) MZR engine

- five-speed automatic transmission

- LED indicator lights embedded in the door mirrors

- LED rear combination lights

- blacked out dials with highly visible white illumination

- upgraded suspension to achieve a more stable ride and greater comfort

- auto aircon

- auto sliding door

[thumbsup]

More does not mean it's better...

No doubt Honda's engine is better and it's outlook is sportier, but in terms of overall package at lower price, Mz5 is the better car.

Anyway it will be EVEN more on the road when yellow-top launch it as full scale taxis if the test phase is successful.

Neutral Newbie

I didn't say more it's better, just that there are more.

Better or not, it's subjective to individual, many parameters come into play, price, quality, brand, accessories, look etc. Every individual have their own set of parameters.

People tends to buy car which they think it's better. Statistically, more people think Stream is better than Mazda 5 as there are more Stream on the road.

Probably taxi companies think Stream is better... that's why they choose it.... haha

↡ Advertisement