Different front and rear tires

Pchmj

Bought a used car and the last owner only change the front 2 tires 3000 km ago, Yokohama ES501.

Mileage 42k now, thought of bringing the 2 ES501 behind and change the stock rear tires to others like Hankook k415. Is it weird to have 2 different types of tires? Another option is to get another 2 ES501. I'm looking for a quiet tire, is k415 as quiet as the ES501?

↡ Advertisement

Bought a used car and the last owner only change the front 2 tires 3000 km ago, Yokohama ES501.

Mileage 42k now, thought of bringing the 2 ES501 behind and change the stock rear tires to others like Hankook k415. Is it weird to have 2 different types of tires? Another option is to get another 2 ES501. I'm looking for a quiet tire, is k415 as quiet as the ES501?

IMHO, I will change all tyres for a peace of mind, same brand, same model and same dimension.

Regards,

Get a good tyres for the front. 80% of the emergency brakings are done by the front tyres.

Its ok to have different front and rear tyres.

Its not obvious unless one is an astute racing driver on a track.

Thanks for the suggestions, will go ahead to get 2x k415 for front since having promo now.

Good tyres should be rear...

Cause the driver can still steer...

The driver cannot steer rear tyres when fish-tail

(edited)

Never thought of that before. But what if it's e-brake on straight roads, good traction in front wheels better?

Edited by Pchmj

1. A higher percentage of cars in america/australia/europe are RWD compared to the percentage of cars locally being RWD.

2. That kinda water logged road is pretty hard to find in singapore where our roads are pretty good.

3. Bad front tires will cause your vehicle to be unable to e-brake and my skid even on dry road.

4. That only happens when turning.

5. How many people will take such a turn at 42mil/h or 72km/h.

• Haha! 1

u must never have had the pleasure of oversteering before.

tell me if u like it. if u don't, then good tyres to the rear, pls [scholar]

Quite confusing. Here's my understanding initially:

All cars I've driven are FWD, so tires will wear out much faster for front, got to switch front/back every 10k km (every servicing) to balance out.

Had experienced skids on hard braking, wet roads with my previous ride. The skid sound is from front wheels, steering out of control and I hold it tightly. Based on this, the front wheels seem much more important.

FWD cars tend to understeer rather than oversteer for RWD.

So now I intend to put a better set in front, ES501 got many complains from users.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

New or better grip tires should always be at the rear regardless of RWD or FWD.

If one keeps a good safety distance, e braking is only for retards who think that tailgating is ok because they have premium tires and ABS until the front car jam brake ROFL.

Edited by Jun86

Quite confusing. Here's my understanding initially:

All cars I've driven are FWD, so tires will wear out much faster for front, got to switch front/back every 10k km (every servicing) to balance out.

Had experienced skids on hard braking, wet roads with my previous ride. The skid sound is from front wheels, steering out of control and I hold it tightly. Based on this, the front wheels seem much more important.

FWD cars tend to understeer rather than oversteer for RWD.

So now I intend to put a better set in front, ES501 got many complains from users.

(Gross simplification of things coming up)

Crap tyres in the rear will give you a higher tendency to oversteer even in a FWD car (it's a death sentence on the street in a RWD car). Normal reaction to things going out of control is to brake and that's not going to help an oversteer situation - your wheels will be locked and your car will not be able to pull itself back in control. It's not always safe to think that you can throttle your way out of it too. What if there are other cars in the area? Good tyres to the rear and relatively worn tyres in the front however will lead to the front losing traction first. But when you brake (again the instinctive reaction in MOST drivers), your vehicle's weight is thrown towards the front axle which will help you regain traction. If your tyres are slipping when you brake, your vehicle's ABS will kick in to help you steer too and your vehicle will tend to go to where you steer. Compare that to an oversteer situation where you'll need to countersteer instead and you'll see which one is a safer situation to be in. It may be fun, but that sort of fun doesn't belong on the street.

It really doesn't take much for your tyres to lose traction, especially in the wet and especially if you're going for comfort-biased ones. I've fishtailed at 40km/h before in my previous car (and that was a FWD car) when it was raining just because one of my rear tyres went over a deep puddle while the other one didn't.

what do you meant by that [hur]

any braking is all 4 wheels.

Better tyre at the rear if the other 2 old tyre are less than 50% thread left.

Good tyre at rear help to overcome over steer,if you place the 2 very worn tyre at rear your chances if oversteer is very high which could lead to

loss control.

Always keep in safe braking distance [thumbsup] when driving is the best for e-braking.

Neutral Newbie

best is change all 4 for a piece of mind..

after my braking on wet using conti tires.. i am sold, tires must be good

Neutral Newbie

singaporeans are just too pampered.

driven in many countries , in icy roads, on nearly bald tyres , some even can see steel cables.

singapore roads are so freaking well-conditioned, that having 25% or 10% thread left will have no signaficant consequences if THE DRIVER FOLLOWS A SAFE DEFENSIVE DRIVING HABIT.

driven many tyres down to their unpassable standard for the 3/5/7yr LTA test b4 i was forced to change it.

The problem with singapore roads is many kuku driver driving like as if they are F1 drivers :P

↡ Advertisement