Front/rear component speakers, why not?

Imaginary

Hi bros,

Sorry to borrow this thread cos not enough postings to start a new one. I have some issue with my ICE setup. I hope some gurus can help me to indentify the root cause.

I have a JVC KW-AVX726 HU, a set of component for front and coaxial speakers for rear, 8" active subwoofer and a 2ch Amp installed under the front passenger seat and a set of RCA cables for front component and subwoofer.

The HU have Output Terminals (Line x 1 pair + Subwoofer + Composite Video) and a Fader function. Currently I am facing an issue that I can't fade out my rear speakers from the HU. As I fade to the front, both front and rear speakers volume become softer but when I fade out to the rear, front and rear speaker volume remain same. Is there a mistake on my cable connections?

Firstly, Fader function ONLY works when the speakers are directly connected to the HU ad not via the RCA outputs behind the HU.

Because you only have 1 RCA output...basically what happens is your Front speakers are connected to an amp via the RCA output.

Your rear speakers are connected directly to the HU without an amp. SO, the fader will ONLY work for the rear speakers.

Your front speaker volume is now controlled by the amp so if you want to turn OFF your rear speakers, just fade all the way to the front. This will NOT change the volume of the front speakers at all..the only way to change the volume of the front is either by turning down the volume of the HU or reducing the gain from the amp.

Hope that explains it...

↡ Advertisement

Yes i agree with the "look" part cos de stock HU is the same red colour as the climate control and the dashboard meters. If change to double DIN will be difernt already (although it should be noted the double din HU can usually change colour and red is one of the option although may not be the exact same red. But for double DIN HU i can fix reverse cam and feed direct to the 7" screen.

i have not heard much abt sound processor but it will be an external module right? i am hesitant to add "clutter" to my dashboard console. anyway the HU already has basic processor on board to adjust bass, mid & treble.

Also, i listen 99% to radio so radio sound quality already somewhat compromised as reception is also an issue.

Well, the ideal would be to change speaker AND the HU but as with most cars these days, everything is integrated and changing HU means losing the integrated look and/or integrated features. So more often than not, people don't change the HU because of this. But rather they add on a good hi-lo converter and a processor.

Changing the HU but retaining the stock speakers would be pointless also. You might get a better HU to output better sound but if the stock speakers cn't produce better sound, you wont hear any difference. It's like pumping the best fuel into a normal car...you're just wasting money on the better fuel right?

Furthermore, you're listening to 99% radio..there's really not going to make much difference

Neutral Newbie

Firstly, Fader function ONLY works when the speakers are directly connected to the HU ad not via the RCA outputs behind the HU.

Because you only have 1 RCA output...basically what happens is your Front speakers are connected to an amp via the RCA output.

Your rear speakers are connected directly to the HU without an amp. SO, the fader will ONLY work for the rear speakers.

Your front speaker volume is now controlled by the amp so if you want to turn OFF your rear speakers, just fade all the way to the front. This will NOT change the volume of the front speakers at all..the only way to change the volume of the front is either by turning down the volume of the HU or reducing the gain from the amp.

Hope that explains it...

Yup you are absolutely right. Many thanks bro. Indeed the RCA out is connected the amp input and amp out to the front speakers. Meaning by moving the fader slider to the front will lower the volume. I guessed my installer has screwed up the connections because both front and rear now fade out the same time as I moved the fader to the front and no change in volume as I fade to the rear. I think he ran both front and rear speakers parallel to the amp out. This installer AE is supposely to be one of the reputable one in sgsoundsystem [mad][thumbsdown] .

Edited by Catch_22

Yup you are absolutely right. Many thanks bro. Indeed the RCA out is connected the amp input and amp out to the front speakers. Meaning by moving the fader slider to the front will lower the volume. I guessed my installer has screwed up the connections because both front and rear now fade out the same time as I moved the fader to the front and no change in volume as I fade to the rear. I think he ran both front and rear speakers parallel to the amp out. This installer AE is supposely to be one of the reputable one in sgsoundsystem [mad][thumbsdown] .

Actually, i dun think your installer connect wrongly.

There's only 1 RCA output for speakers from your HU so cannot go wrong.

Once you connect to an amp and also use rear speakers, the fader will perform this way...once ou use RCA output, you don't really use faders anymore...so this kind of "results" is expected..nothing wrong with the connection..

Well, the ideal would be to change speaker AND the HU but as with most cars these days, everything is integrated and changing HU means losing the integrated look and/or integrated features. So more often than not, people don't change the HU because of this. But rather they add on a good hi-lo converter and a processor.

Changing the HU but retaining the stock speakers would be pointless also. You might get a better HU to output better sound but if the stock speakers cn't produce better sound, you wont hear any difference. It's like pumping the best fuel into a normal car...you're just wasting money on the better fuel right?

Furthermore, you're listening to 99% radio..there's really not going to make much difference

Good and practical advice. [thumbsup]

There is one option where you do install both front and rear comps, and that's when the whole lot is connected to an integrated processor amp where everything is time-aligned and matched, then the rear comps actually act as fills and they do have an impact on the front imaging.

Common advice is of course just go with the front comps, but if you think of the car as a concert hall, there is reverberations from the back of the hall that give you the hall effect. Same goes if you are in a church. Those of you who have heard concerts at the old VCH and compared that with the new Esplanade hall, would know the difference.

If you do not have a processor to control the rear speakers (comps/coaxials - no difference), then it is better to just stick with the front comps and remove/disconnect the rears, they do mess up the sound if not setup properly.

There is one option where you do install both front and rear comps, and that's when the whole lot is connected to an integrated processor amp where everything is time-aligned and matched, then the rear comps actually act as fills and they do have an impact on the front imaging.

Common advice is of course just go with the front comps, but if you think of the car as a concert hall, there is reverberations from the back of the hall that give you the hall effect. Same goes if you are in a church. Those of you who have heard concerts at the old VCH and compared that with the new Esplanade hall, would know the difference.

If you do not have a processor to control the rear speakers (comps/coaxials - no difference), then it is better to just stick with the front comps and remove/disconnect the rears, they do mess up the sound if not setup properly.

Th problem with most processor is that it is only 8 ch, so using 6 for 3 way front, and 1 for sub, u don't have enough to control the rear speakers, so most stick with front staging.

Frankly, I like a front stage with some fill for the rear if there a processor with enough channel

Th problem with most processor is that it is only 8 ch, so using 6 for 3 way front, and 1 for sub, u don't have enough to control the rear speakers, so most stick with front staging.

Frankly, I like a front stage with some fill for the rear if there a processor with enough channel

I'm using the Audison Bit 8.9 which has 8ch amp and can control 9 channels, the last is line level for the sub.

So I'm running active comps for both front and rear, using all 8 ch.

The only thing I'm not sure of now, is whether I really need a sub because I'm trying as hard as possible to add too much weight to the car. Still running in the system and testing, so not decided yet.

I'm using the Audison Bit 8.9 which has 8ch amp and can control 9 channels, the last is line level for the sub.

So I'm running active comps for both front and rear, using all 8 ch.

The only thing I'm not sure of now, is whether I really need a sub because I'm trying as hard as possible to add too much weight to the car. Still running in the system and testing, so not decided yet.

Cool. Can check how much is this 8.9? Px with or without install?

I would seriously suggest a sub to fill up the punch. Already reach this stage, why not complete it and frankly, how heavy is a shallow 12 inch with a class d mono.

Cool. Can check how much is this 8.9? Px with or without install?

I would seriously suggest a sub to fill up the punch. Already reach this stage, why not complete it and frankly, how heavy is a shallow 12 inch with a class d mono.

$1.5k w install and tune. Basic tune is a must, its a bit technical unless you already know your stuff and read the manual.

You another one to add poison...hahaha...I need to tweak the tuning a bit first then listen again. If really cannot then I will add the sub.

But seriously below 40hz its all just vibration, not really audible, but for some music, its necessary...so...hmmm

$1.5k w install and tune. Basic tune is a must, its a bit technical unless you already know your stuff and read the manual.

You another one to add poison...hahaha...I need to tweak the tuning a bit first then listen again. If really cannot then I will add the sub.

But seriously below 40hz its all just vibration, not really audible, but for some music, its necessary...so...hmmm

And waste time retuning with sub and not forgetting the run in for new woofer?

once all set up done up.....not forgetting to get customised made RCA cables to maximise your current set up and listening experience.

Mod your amp / HU is another round upgrade than buying high end set as it is customised to wat u wan..

ICE...a never ending Journey...

(edited)

And waste time retuning with sub and not forgetting the run in for new woofer?

Haven't bought yet lah...give me time to run in the current setup, then see how.

BTW tuning a sub isn't difficult. Done it with my previous setups. If you know what to look out for, its a piece of cake.

Say, do you guys have meetups anywhere? I'd like to hear and see what's the latest in the ICE scene.

once all set up done up.....not forgetting to get customised made RCA cables to maximise your current set up and listening experience.

Mod your amp / HU is another round upgrade than buying high end set as it is customised to wat u wan..

ICE...a never ending Journey...

I'm an audiophile, or was one, so I kinda know what I was getting into from the offset.

Also had some clear parameters that I didn't want to cross when I started putting stuff in, so that I don't go overboard.

Any chance of hearing your ICE setup bro?

Edited by SGCMWhiteKnight

Have anybody heard of DEGO speakers ?

Haven't bought yet lah...give me time to run in the current setup, then see how.

BTW tuning a sub isn't difficult. Done it with my previous setups. If you know what to look out for, its a piece of cake.

Say, do you guys have meetups anywhere? I'd like to hear and see what's the latest in the ICE scene.

I'm an audiophile, or was one, so I kinda know what I was getting into from the offset.

Also had some clear parameters that I didn't want to cross when I started putting stuff in, so that I don't go overboard.

Any chance of hearing your ICE setup bro?