Review of AD08

Jchuacl

oh wells....my current AD08 is due for change soon...travelled almost 37000km on these tyres (alot of hard driving) and i must say they really served me well....Only complaint i have is probably the grip during the wet...

I'm contemplating in switching over to R1R or RT-615.....i might even stick to AD08 if the reviews abt the other 2 arent tat good....

Bros, anyone has experience with these tyres? care to share.....tks!

Both r1r and ad08 is surely better than rt615 in terms of quality and perfomance.

many complaint against wet grip is usually made the wrong comparisions.

all ad08 r1r re11 are tyre that made for both street(decent wet) and track(dry) used

so they are no way better wet grip than any quality street tyre like bridgetone re001, s001 michelin pilot ps3 .

choose the right tyre for the right use is the issue.

:D

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Yo bro, how do you rate the AD08 against RE-11 and other high performance tyre you have used?

Greatly appreciate your feedback as i am looking to change my 225/40/18 RE070 soon.

I am considering RE-11, RE070, AD08 and S001, in descending order of preference.

I thought of Michelin PS3 too, but the tread design makes me wonder if PS3 will be to PS2 as what SO3 was to SO2, poor successor to a legendary tyre...

Btw, kindy pm the price and shop you get your AD08.

RE11 and AD08 should cost about the same, right?

Tyre comparison:

Circuit/street ultra-high performance tyres (after-maket tyres)

Bridgestone Potenza RE01R > RE11 (new)

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Yokohama AD07 > AD08 (new)

Premium ultra-high performance street tyres (after-market tyres)

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 > S001 (new). Also O.E. on Ferrari 458 Italia, Aston Martin Rapid, Lexus LF-A

Michelin Pilot Sports PS2 > Pilot Super Sports (new). PS2 is available as O.E. on Bugatti Veyron and Shelby SuperCars.

Yokohama Advan Sport. Also available as O.E. on Bentley, Porsche and Audi, and tuning houses including Mercedes AMG and Gemballa

Ultra-high performance street tyres (after-market)

Bridgestone Potenza RE001 Adrenalin > RE002 (coming soon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLbF3doE0uk)

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3.

O.E ultra high performance circuit tyres

Bridgestone Potenza RE070 O.E. on Nissan GT-R

Michelin Pilot Sports Cup

Edited by Nehpyh

(edited)

This link is useful.

http://www.tirerack.com/

Anyway, those Ultra-High Performance tires are usually not too good in the wet, especially the tropical rain we experience here.

Thats why I change to Goodyear F1 Asymetric summer tires from my previous Bridgestone RE-01R. Becuase of better wet traction, although dry performance suffer a bit. But for mainly street use, I prefer more security in the wet. Thats my opinion anyway.

I spend 2 weeks of research & discussion at this very forum, to finally pick my tire choice, its a good learning experience.

If have time, you guys can go to the above website to read the info & review. Very informative.

Cheers.

Edited by Kiadaw

It's all down to the temperature, ie wet biased tyres heat up more rapidly vs dry biased tyres which resists heating up.

Normally, I would heat up the tyres in the wet with some quick acceleration to increase the temp for better grip.

Frankly at tirerack, people give you review based on the initial gut feel of the tyre but do not follow up after clocking up the mileage. To me, the consistency and progressive nature of tyre grip as mileage is being racked up is important to me.

This link is useful.

Anyway, those Ultra-High Performance tires are usually not too good in the wet, especially the tropical rain we experience here.

Thats why I change to Goodyear F1 Asymetric summer tires from my previous Bridgestone RE-01R. Becuase of better wet traction, although dry performance suffer a bit. But for mainly street use, I prefer more security in the wet. Thats my opinion anyway.

I spend 2 weeks of research & discussion at this very forum, to finally pick my tire choice, its a good learning experience.

If have time, you guys can go to the above website to read the info & review. Very informative.

Cheers.

Neutral Newbie

This link is useful.

Cheers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Bridgestone Potenza RE01R (or RE11) is a circuit/street tyre. Dry biased and 100% (personal view) track-centric falling short of a semi slick.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is a premium ultra high performance tyre that is competing with Bridgestone Potenza S001. IMO 70% track centric. 30% premium comfort.

Thus, they have different UPS.

:)

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Bridgestone Potenza RE01R (or RE11) is a circuit/street tyre. Dry biased and 100% (personal view) track-centric falling short of a semi slick.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is a premium ultra high performance tyre that is competing with Bridgestone Potenza S001. IMO 70% track centric. 30% premium comfort.

Thus, they have different UPS.

:)

To put in simple terms. The RE01R is a better track (dry, summer) tire, the Goodyear is a better street tire (Summer). The goodyear have longer life, better in wet, cost less, less noisy, at about 85% performance of the Bridgstone dry traction. The goodyear probably better in the snow as well, as it has more grooves, & deeper, not that it matters, or you should wear it in winter.

Neutral Newbie

To put in simple terms. The RE01R is a better track (dry, summer) tire, the Goodyear is a better street tire (Summer). The goodyear have longer life, better in wet, cost less, less noisy, at about 85% performance of the Bridgstone dry traction. The goodyear probably better in the snow as well, as it has more grooves, & deeper, not that it matters, or you should wear it in winter.

It's ironic to me that a summer as mentioned above can be a good winter tyre! Lol

No matter how good a tyre is, if the driver has lousy driving skills, the tyres will not save the driver from flipping over.

It's ironic to me that a summer as mentioned above can be a good winter tyre! Lol

been on AD08 for 7000km now. recently drove to KL and back. Encountered heavy rain both ways. For SSS travelling at 100km/hr, wet grip for 205/45/16inch AD08 can make it, if not, my balls would become peanuts [laugh]

previously on 225/45/18 AD07 on mark x, wet grip is horrible. At 80km/hr, can hardly feel the road already.

Its NOT a good winter's tire. Its just better than the Re01r I used to wear. Not that it matters in our climate.

Anyway, it is advisable to change to winter tires when the temperature goes down below 7 degC. At below certain temperature, the compound for summer tires (apparent everyone used similar compound?) will start to harden, & lose its effectiveness. Under certain temperature, it may crystallize (or something) & maybe irreversible, or so I heard.

Key is get the right tires for your needs, climate & road conditions. Those Tropical Monsoon rain are not something to joke about. Thats why I prefer something that is decent in the rain.

Now at 36K and the tyre noise is starting to get to me with the constant whining/humming. 8(

Can feel that the braking distance has also increased and can feel more apparent aquaplaning when I travel on lane 1 on expressways during heavy rain. However, the grip is still progressive when I whip the car around corners.

Might decide to go back to RE-11 as that tyre is not as noisy as AD08 when I rack up 40k of mileage in another 1-2 months time.

Decided to go back to ad08 as the price for re 11 has risen significantly. Did consider s001 but there is no stock in SG for my size .

At the same time , changing my rotors to mugen , so overall braking experience is likely to be improve .

Got the new tyres fitted today and even though I haven't fullly scrubbed in the tyres, it already felt better than my used ad08 tyres. It must have been the boiling frog syndrome where the grip has dropped progressively as mileage has been clocked up and I adapted to it.

An inspection of the used ad08 tyres shows even wear with no obvious problems. However, the tyre shop folks told me that I'm one of the rare users of this tyre that did not have uneven wear.

It's all down to the temperature, ie wet biased tyres heat up more rapidly vs dry biased tyres which resists heating up.

Normally, I would heat up the tyres in the wet with some quick acceleration to increase the temp for better grip.

Frankly at tirerack, people give you review based on the initial gut feel of the tyre but do not follow up after clocking up the mileage. To me, the consistency and progressive nature of tyre grip as mileage is being racked up is important to me.

I find tirerack quite useful too when it comes to reviews. They have seriously the most number of reviews I've ever seen on any website and all you need to do is preset your brain to filter for only reviews (aka selective reading) with what you wanna see (e.g. how many kms they've done, grip etc).

My selection was down to AD08, CSC3 and PS2 and I got PS2. I was told by a lot of people that AD08 grip is superior but the wear is crappy. And I prefer the Michelin word over Continental so the choice is obvious.

I thought RE11 is pretty new? Was actually thinking about them but thought I should try another brand since I had 050a before which is a BS as well. RE11 has got the best review from my research and I will probably try them after these set. Very happy with the wear and grip of the 050a (285/30/18) but the lower profile is making the ride a bit harsher. The new PS2 (265/35/18) are good too. Went for a mountain run once with it at pretty high tyre pressure (around 40psi) and still gripping. I think theres still plenty of room for grip if I lower it down to 34psi because my friend's BMW can keep up with me!

I don't know about RE-050A but RE-050 was the worst BS tyre that I used in terms of grip as the mileage was being clocked up. RE-11 has been out for 2 years already, only new tyre from BS is S001. The only downside for RE-11 is that the tyre is heavy.

A wear of 40k is reasonable for me for AD08, which I don't think is crappy. Grip and wear is always on the opposite ends of tyre selection.

And you mean the PS3 rather than PS2? If they made the sidewalls stiffer, I would consider them. CSC3 has the softest sidwall and the weight of the tyre (it's very light) confirms that there isn't much stiffening done to the tyre's sidewall.

I find tirerack quite useful too when it comes to reviews. They have seriously the most number of reviews I've ever seen on any website and all you need to do is preset your brain to filter for only reviews (aka selective reading) with what you wanna see (e.g. how many kms they've done, grip etc).

My selection was down to AD08, CSC3 and PS2 and I got PS2. I was told by a lot of people that AD08 grip is superior but the wear is crappy. And I prefer the Michelin word over Continental so the choice is obvious.

I thought RE11 is pretty new? Was actually thinking about them but thought I should try another brand since I had 050a before which is a BS as well. RE11 has got the best review from my research and I will probably try them after these set. Very happy with the wear and grip of the 050a (285/30/18) but the lower profile is making the ride a bit harsher. The new PS2 (265/35/18) are good too. Went for a mountain run once with it at pretty high tyre pressure (around 40psi) and still gripping. I think theres still plenty of room for grip if I lower it down to 34psi because my friend's BMW can keep up with me!

I don't know about RE-050A but RE-050 was the worst BS tyre that I used in terms of grip as the mileage was being clocked up. RE-11 has been out for 2 years already, only new tyre from BS is S001. The only downside for RE-11 is that the tyre is heavy.

A wear of 40k is reasonable for me for AD08, which I don't think is crappy. Grip and wear is always on the opposite ends of tyre selection.

And you mean the PS3 rather than PS2? If they made the sidewalls stiffer, I would consider them. CSC3 has the softest sidwall and the weight of the tyre (it's very light) confirms that there isn't much stiffening done to the tyre's sidewall.

050A is supposed to be better than 050. I got slightly more than 50,000km on them and do not have any traction problem even launching at 7000rpm (thats with 30,000km+ on the clock). Unfortunately I sold the tyres together with my old rims so I cant say how long they would have lasted. A good guess would be 70,000 to 75,000km in total?

For the price I am paying, I would expect the tyres to last me at least 50,000km (I'm very niao) which is why I'm not very keen for AD08 unless I'm very serious in track work. For the time being, I'm only doing a bit of track so PS2 (not PS3) works wells for me.

I always thought continental is more for comfort too. I dont know much about tyres but what you're saying make sense.

↡ Advertisement