Pocus Turbocharged February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 Owned a CVR and still happy with it, but like all man, will itch for a "change" after a few years.. Just "window shopping" only as I'm still happy and financially comfortable with my CVR.. Considering a few, one of them being the FN2R. Any reviews? Compared to CVR? Anyone ever switched from TCed ride back to NA ride? After riding a TCed car for almost 3 years I cannot imagine going back to NA....except if it's a K20a engine or something.. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Melvyn Neutral Newbie February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 (edited) Depends largely on what you looking for in a ride. Made the switch from Mit E 8 MR to FD2R 2 years ago and there's different appeal for different rides. Power wise, the N.A lost out a lot but in return what I got was a ride that will respond predictably on and off track as I was running 2.2 back then and the surge is something you'll need to get used to especially as you cross the apex and wants to put your foot down. N.A not at all with linear delivery till the crossover point (for wild cams) but there's not much to upset the balance. But in your case I think there'll be improvements in power useability all through the band unless your current ride's utilizing high boost and stroked which a couple of my friends driving CVRs are running on. Lastly, unless you're having a good reason to specifically choose FN2R, do consider the FD2R. There's better stability as the footprint is wider, rear suspension is more stable and power is slightly higher. And the best part.. You have 4 doors so its that little bit more family friendly. Only thing I walked away after trying out the FN2R is that it looks prettier (I know some may disagree) and there's Cruise Control for long trips up north but that's abt it. Drop me a PM and we can take it offline. If you want to, test mine before you commit. I'm sure you'll love the FD over a FN Edited February 20, 2011 by Melvyn Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Observer 4th Gear February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 normally i will say bettr not to go tc back to na...but in this instance....fd2r?! worth the switch! FN2R? Hmmmm Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karnaugh Neutral Newbie February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 normally i will say bettr not to go tc back to na...but in this instance....fd2r?! worth the switch! FN2R? Hmmmm Not everyone can tahan the FD2R. It is actually quite impractical to use it to ferry your family around as most likely only the driver is enjoying the ride while the passengers are being tortured. I personally would also recommend FD2R since I am driving one myself but it will depend on TS needs and expectations. FD2R is a track ready car with almost zero creature comfort other than having aircon and local fitted radio (with 2 front speakers only usually). Suspension is even stiffer than most of the aftermarket coilovers out there and has very little sound insulation. To TS: I presume you are driving CVT CVR? In that case the transition from your current car to FN2R will be less painful(compared to FD2R) and I think you would enjoy the ride with the relatively comfortable suspension/insulation and features. You may also be surprised that the FN2R actually feels more punchy than your current ride despite being heavier and having around the same amount of torque. Only drawback is you must be prepared to keep dropping gears and rev like hell in order to squeeze the ponies out. Handling wise it will also be slightly better. You will also be impressed by the engine response and smoothness of the K20Z as compared to your 4G15T. Having said that, I would rate the FN2R having a much more sporty drive as compared to your AT CVR from my experience with these cars. Running cost wise it is very close to any 2L NA cars out there other than the 18" tyres (Insurance is also quite cheap). FC is also quite good at around 11-12km/l for stock. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Observer 4th Gear February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 Not everyone can tahan the FD2R. It is actually quite impractical to use it to ferry your family around as most likely only the driver is enjoying the ride while the passengers are being tortured. I personally would also recommend FD2R since I am driving one myself but it will depend on TS needs and expectations. FD2R is a track ready car with almost zero creature comfort other than having aircon and local fitted radio (with 2 front speakers only usually). Suspension is even stiffer than most of the aftermarket coilovers out there and has very little sound insulation. To TS: I presume you are driving CVT CVR? In that case the transition from your current car to FN2R will be less painful(compared to FD2R) and I think you would enjoy the ride with the relatively comfortable suspension/insulation and features. You may also be surprised that the FN2R actually feels more punchy than your current ride despite being heavier and having around the same amount of torque. Only drawback is you must be prepared to keep dropping gears and rev like hell in order to squeeze the ponies out. Handling wise it will also be slightly better. You will also be impressed by the engine response and smoothness of the K20Z as compared to your 4G15T. Having said that, I would rate the FN2R having a much more sporty drive as compared to your AT CVR from my experience with these cars. Running cost wise it is very close to any 2L NA cars out there other than the 18" tyres (Insurance is also quite cheap). FC is also quite good at around 11-12km/l for stock. Having sat and driven one, I would say for the level of performance, the comfort is pretty much acceptable Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karnaugh Neutral Newbie February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 Having sat and driven one, I would say for the level of performance, the comfort is pretty much acceptable It is subjective, I also find it acceptable but many FD2R owners cannot take it and changed to softer coilovers and added sound insulation. Evo X also offer the same if not better performance but doing so at a comfortable form that most people can accept. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kiadaw 6th Gear February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 I believe the FN2R which I assume to be the UK Civic, have lower insurance cost. It actually have 5 doors version. Not sure if the type-r ones have. A little off topic, I notice that the ones in Singapore do not have the black arch around the wheels (like the colt ralliart), which the U.K type-R have. I believe the hatch is more a chick magnet than the sedan. But the sedan should be much more spacious. Afterall, the hatch was design for narrow Europeans roads, something we do not need to worry about here. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karnaugh Neutral Newbie February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 I believe the FN2R which I assume to be the UK Civic, have lower insurance cost. It actually have 5 doors version. Not sure if the type-r ones have. A little off topic, I notice that the ones in Singapore do not have the black arch around the wheels (like the colt ralliart), which the U.K type-R have. I believe the hatch is more a chick magnet than the sedan. But the sedan should be much more spacious. Afterall, the hatch was design for narrow Europeans roads, something we do not need to worry about here. Technically only the Euro Type-R Civic has the FN2 chassis code. In the strictest sense no such thing as FN2R or FD2R as well as these are localized terms in SG and MY. The 5 door version is the FK2. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Observer 4th Gear February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 It is subjective, I also find it acceptable but many FD2R owners cannot take it and changed to softer coilovers and added sound insulation. Evo X also offer the same if not better performance but doing so at a comfortable form that most people can accept. if cannot take it, can get civic 2.0 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Observer 4th Gear February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 Technically only the Euro Type-R Civic has the FN2 chassis code. In the strictest sense no such thing as FN2R or FD2R as well as these are localized terms in SG and MY. The 5 door version is the FK2. code overloading Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Melvyn Neutral Newbie February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 Not really. It's quite simple actually FN2Rs are the 3 door Rs that's the successors to the EP3 Rs. There's also the "normal" FN body codes that are European civics that are 3 doored (2 side + 1 rear) like your Coopers. FK are 5 doored European body types. FDs are JDM body types like those offered by Kah Motors. So in short: FA -> 4 door sedan FD -> 4 door sedan FG -> 2 door coupe FK -> 5 door Euro FN -> 3 door Euro Think I got them right Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karnaugh Neutral Newbie February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 Not really. It's quite simple actually FN2Rs are the 3 door Rs that's the successors to the EP3 Rs. There's also the "normal" FN body codes that are European civics that are 3 doored (2 side + 1 rear) like your Coopers. FK are 5 doored European body types. FDs are JDM body types like those offered by Kah Motors. So in short: FA -> 4 door sedan FD -> 4 door sedan FG -> 2 door coupe FK -> 5 door Euro FN -> 3 door Euro Think I got them right Didn't know there is a 3 door non type R Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Whatisthis04 Neutral Newbie February 20, 2011 Share February 20, 2011 Owned a CVR and still happy with it, but like all man, will itch for a "change" after a few years.. Just "window shopping" only as I'm still happy and financially comfortable with my CVR.. Considering a few, one of them being the FN2R. Any reviews? Compared to CVR? Anyone ever switched from TCed ride back to NA ride? After riding a TCed car for almost 3 years I cannot imagine going back to NA....except if it's a K20a engine or something.. u will definitely regret it.....stick to it or like some bros mentioned go for fd2r Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pocus Turbocharged February 21, 2011 Author Share February 21, 2011 (edited) Thanks all for the advise....but from the way I read FN2R is like a no-no and FD2R. I haven't specifically sat or rode a FD2R but one of my wife's friend owns the ride. He sold it after his wife became preggy and complaint cannot tahan the bumpiness of the ride. Also heard from him about the comfort level that's why I was giving it a pass. Even for my CVR my wife already complaint on the bumpiness and noise level initially although now she's used to it. To me the Fn2R is sleek enough to catch both our attention. I understand it's considered the "lesser R", even the rear suspension is still using torsion beam right? Which is a "WTF" for a Type R breed. But if the comfort level is there and the power is as good or better than the CVR why not. Anyway I don't track at all, occasionally tackled that deserted corner at night that's all. My only complaint on Fn2R: - 2 door only - 2.0 higher road tax Want to understand. servicing how huh? Like a normal NA car? Can feed with w30 EO? 10k interval? The CVR was "10k recommended" but I did oil change every 5k to play safe. Insurance how? my CVR cost me around 1.5k(above 30, NCD 50%) I hope the FN2R or FD2R is around the same as the CVR. FC 11 to 12km/l is unbelievable. Is that the most ideal stock reading? I can tell you my CVR is 13km/l but that's the most ideal case of light-footness. I get ave 11.5km/l and 10km/l on a heavy footed tank! FD2R and FN2R so much difference?? Edited February 21, 2011 by Pocus Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karnaugh Neutral Newbie February 21, 2011 Share February 21, 2011 (edited) Yes in terms of servicing and maintenance the EO can last 10k and recommended weight by Honda is actually W30. 11km/l is a very realistic FC if you drive normally with use of the expressway. Most FD2Rs already can get average 10 km/l with spirited driving. My record fc was actually 13 km/l but with alot of expressway cruising. Of course if you kui Vtec all the time your FC is likely to go below 9. Insurance is also significantly cheaper than FD2R despite being 2 doors. I guess the loss experience for FN2R is very low. Like I have mentioned if you are no where labeled as a hardcore driver FN2R should be able to meet your needs while granting you noticeable improvements in terms of driving experience compared to your cvr. Edited February 21, 2011 by Karnaugh Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minikong 1st Gear February 21, 2011 Share February 21, 2011 Owned a CVR and still happy with it, but like all man, will itch for a "change" after a few years.. Just "window shopping" only as I'm still happy and financially comfortable with my CVR.. Considering a few, one of them being the FN2R. Any reviews? Compared to CVR? Anyone ever switched from TCed ride back to NA ride? After riding a TCed car for almost 3 years I cannot imagine going back to NA....except if it's a K20a engine or something.. mayvbe u can try a 6 head na instead of 4, like a mark x, 350,370? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jolie888 Clutched February 21, 2011 Share February 21, 2011 Anyone ever switched from TCed ride back to NA ride? After riding a TCed car for almost 3 years I cannot imagine going back to NA....except if it's a K20a engine or something.. No need a Honda lah. My German NA engine develops 231 BHP and 300 Nm torque. Can match (or even surpass) your TC CVR? And I have 2 more cylinders, 8 more valves and 2 more camshafts than you do! Imagine ... the power of dreams ... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Observer 4th Gear February 21, 2011 Share February 21, 2011 Not really. It's quite simple actually FN2Rs are the 3 door Rs that's the successors to the EP3 Rs. There's also the "normal" FN body codes that are European civics that are 3 doored (2 side + 1 rear) like your Coopers. FK are 5 doored European body types. FDs are JDM body types like those offered by Kah Motors. So in short: FA -> 4 door sedan FD -> 4 door sedan FG -> 2 door coupe FK -> 5 door Euro FN -> 3 door Euro Think I got them right ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Feedback
Feedback
Is Singapore Safe From Earthquakes ?
Is Singapore Safe From Earthquakes ?
Persistent Lower Back Pain
Persistent Lower Back Pain
Are station wagons making a come back with sedans fading?
Are station wagons making a come back with sedans fading?
Is Scoliosis Treatable
Is Scoliosis Treatable
Favourite Japanese Songs from 1980-90s
Favourite Japanese Songs from 1980-90s
Honda Civic Water droplets in Head / Back Lights
Honda Civic Water droplets in Head / Back Lights
Yusheng from Singapore, Malaysia or China
Yusheng from Singapore, Malaysia or China