Mercedes Coupe E class Coupe C124 (1987 to 1996)

Davidklt

unimaginative piece of junk imho and one of the worst merc coupes ever designed, looks seems to be an afterthought as it just looks like the sedan with 2 doors shaved off, i think you might need new glasses

unimaginative piece of junk imho and one of the worst merc coupes ever designed, looks seems to be an afterthought as it just looks like the sedan with 2 doors shaved off, i think you might need new glasses

hmmm.... which similar-size 2door executive model of the same era you fancy?

i wonder how the torsional rigidity of the coupe compares to its 4 door conventional cousin.

you mean the absense of B-pillar needs to be 'compensated'?..... [:)] i guess its not a serious performance model, the designers might have taken care of that by strengthening the body else where at the expense of extra weight

you mean the absense of B-pillar needs to be 'compensated'?..... [:)] i guess its not a serious performance model, the designers might have taken care of that by strengthening the body else where at the expense of extra weight

yup. the soft tops are even more jialat in that aspect. strengthening of the chassis causes additional heft like what you mention. they can try to mitigate the issue by stoking more torque and horsepower of the powerplant but the surefooted and nimbleness are two characteristics which are unfortunately lost.

They are gorgeous cars although the boxy looks might not be to everyone's taste. They are meant to be grand tourers and not sports cars obviously, so torsional rigidity would not exactly be on the top priority. Having said that however, Mercedes did use a shorter version of the 124 chassis for the coupe and cab(heavily reinforced) to compensate somewhat for the lack of the B pillars. Nonetheless, 20 years of usage does have its toll on the car as metal fatigue sets in and some flexing would be expected when driving in more extreme conditions.

Yes there are still quite a few running around although most are the pre FL versions before 1990s. Majority are the smaller M102 engined 2.3L although there are some with the 3L M103 and newer 24 valve engines. The cabriolets are definitely rarer and most if not all that ive seen so far, are the 3.2L FL versions. In fact, there is a 24V one for sale now on sgcarmart if anyones interested. http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...198&DL=1000

Edited by Briansoh

At the tail end of its 11 yr life cycle..the design still look fresh and classy. Even now..when you compare the design of the E class, none of it manage to have such long lasting looks.

This beau is a classic!

any one remember this car?

http://www.mercnews.net/2012/02/mercedes-c...87-to-1996.html

of course, very nice chunky coupe.

was scouting for one to buy one either in coupe or cabrio version

very spacious

but cannot find one of a good enough condition and price.

this one can really bling up to look really mafia style.