Active Subwoofer Vs Box type Subwoofer

QQDreamer

(edited)

As above, any bros here into ICE can advise? Active subwoofer better or Box up type Subwoofer better? There are pros and cons of both type . Would like to learn from the ICE bros here. Pls kindly advise.

Edited by MkMan
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

As above, any bros here into ICE can advise? Active subwoofer better or Box up type Subwoofer better? There are pros and cons of both type . Would like to learn from the ICE bros here. Pls kindly advise.

Are you referring to those under seat subwoofer vs subwoofer in the boot? Because both are active.

(edited)

Box type you can have a bigger woofer like 30cm diameter type or larger. Also you can match it with a higher power amplifier for better low end BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Active type usually are having smaller woofer, <20cm diameter. And the amplifier power is usually not high. So the base usually sound like Thud Thud Thud type.

Of course small cars can install two active type under the front seats to get satisfactory bass and vibration.

If got budget can even install four active woofer that is well hidden, without sacrificing boot space.

It's always space vs sound quality compromised.

Edited by SimonTan

Supercharged

Box type you can have a bigger woofer like 30cm diameter type or larger. Also you can match it with a higher power amplifier for better low end BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Active type usually are having smaller woofer, <20cm diameter. And the amplifier power is usually not high. So the base usually sound like Thud Thud Thud type.

Of course small cars can install two active type under the front seats to get satisfactory bass and vibration.

If got budget can even install four active woofer that is well hidden, without sacrificing boot space.

It's always space vs sound quality compromised.

wah, 2 under the front seats.. i only using one..

go for reputable makes like pioneer.

slightly expensive but worth every thump.

The problem with large woofer bass is that you need a strong amplifier.

I installed a 500RMS Punch amplifier to drive my woofer box.

The sound is great with a fully charged and new battery.

But after 1.5 years, my battery is weak. And is not able to deliver enough ampere to power the amplifier anymore.

The headlights will flickers with the bass sound.

Thinking of install a separate battery to support powerful bass.

(edited)

go for focal active if space constraint - but cost 600+. the bass sounds as strong & tight as amp-driven type, even w doors opened u can still hear boom boom from outside.

Edited by Fuelsaver

Most are OEM, all looks the same, some even different brand but exactly same unit.

So steelmate or whatever cheap brand is good enough.

Another important point is the music source must also be good.

Many of my MP3 music has a weird phenomen, the bass frequency will fluctuate with the vocals.

Can clearly hear the bass inconsistency with the vocals on/off.

The MP3 encoding is messing up the bass level in many of my iPod music.

Neutral Newbie

go for focal active if space constraint - but cost 600+. the bass sounds as strong & tight as amp-driven type, even w doors opened u can still hear boom boom from outside.

It's not about boom boom noise. It's about the low frequency reverb that trembles the whole car :)

Think good side speakers 6.5' with sound proofing and Amp can do much better than Active sub.

Are you referring to those under seat subwoofer vs subwoofer in the boot? Because both are active.

Yes thats what i mean. Any advise?

bro you using pioneer active sub? How is the review? sound quality how is it? What is the damage like?

Are you referring to box up type or active sub woofer ?

I am using the kenwood active under seat sub-woofer.

a very compact, 6" diameter speaker, but without the tud plastic sound.

In my previous sedan, I just install a pair of 6*9" boston acustics woofers, at back of rear seat, and the bass sound is deep enough for me.

Neutral Newbie

How low do you want the music to go?

Underseat subs can't play low notes. Force it and you get boomy bass.

Boxed 12" sub driven by an amp will be able to play low.

I don't thump with my sub, it just messes up the whole music enjoyment. The attack of the thump is done by my 6.5" midbass, followed by the decay of the thump by my sub. The handshake of both is important.

(edited)

Are you referring to box up type or active sub woofer ?

active underseat / underglove sub by focal, see feedback below

http://www.civicfd-sg.com/viewtopic.php?t=...859149263195053

http://www.focal.com/en/car-audio-sound/su...ers/ibus-20.php

what i've heard was the ibus 20 fitted on a bmw 5-series mounted under glove compartment; very solid build, heavy & very tight bass. but at 600+, some may consider amp box?

Edited by Fuelsaver

The SB20BUS from Focal, looks so generic like a steelmate or OEM built.

Just get two units, from simlim, and hook it up to the woofer output of your HU.

Good enough sound level to shake the whole car.

(edited)

The SB20BUS from Focal, looks so generic like a steelmate or OEM built.

Just get two units, from simlim, and hook it up to the woofer output of your HU.

Good enough sound level to shake the whole car.

so who copy who... get the iBUS man...

Edited by Fuelsaver