Jump to content

Showtime pull the plug on Dexter


Watwheels
 Share

Recommended Posts

Have just acquired Breaking Bad S1-S5.. Hope it's good, but no time to watch...

 

Anyone follow Boardwalk Empire? I really like Season 1-3.. Season 4 just into ep3..

 

A little piece of advice with regard to Breaking Bad. You have to watch it from the start, and in sequence. And this is a series that rewards marathon watching because it has an amazing sense of continuity (even more so than the gimmicky "real time" ones like 24). And you absolutely have to pay attention to every little detail, even the seemingly insignificant ones because they will pop up again *much* later in the series, with great significance. The show is just chock full of visual tropes. Hint: an important pair of pants and a desert tarantula. You'll realise what I'm talking about when you watch.

 

Boardwalk Empire is also a show I follow. Honestly, the writing is nowhere near as tight as Breaking Bad, and there are way too many characters and side plots, but it's not a terrible show. I watch it mainly for the Prohibition-era verisimilitude, which is really well done. But the show is getting too draggy. The peak of the show was (IMO) when Nucky finally worked up the balls to personally ice Jimmy Darmody (I believe it was the first time he actually got his hands "dirty" killing someone, and the fact that it was someone who was almost a son to him made it more significant). After that, it was all downhill, even with the crazy Sicilian guy being brought in to spice things up. They just started introducing wilder and wilder characters to try and keep the story going, and that's always a very bad sign that a series is seriously slipping. Honestly, I'm calling S4 "Boredwalk Empire" - the predictable new character is this Dr Narcisse. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...