New Mid Size Sedan All Comes with Bigger Rims/Wheels?

wangxiaodi

Hi, i notice now a lot of new mid size sedan is equipped with bigger rims. All looks at least 17inch. Example, the older K3, cerato 2018,

And i see the New Avante 2019 also no more 15 inch rim. Those Mazda 3 also looks to have bigger rim and tyres....

Or was i wrong?

Edited by wangxiaodi
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

7 minutes ago, wangxiaodi said:

Hi, i notice now a lot of new mid size sedan is equipped with bigger rims. All looks at least 17inch. Example, the older K3, cerato 2018,

And i see the New Avante 2019 also no more 15 inch rim. Those Mazda 3 also looks to have bigger rim and tyres....

Or was i wrong?

Avante basic trim still 15' rim.

Cerato LX still 15' rim.

Rest at least 16'.

10 hours ago, wangxiaodi said:

Or was i wrong?

Whats your point for this post bro? Tiny wheels looks awful in today's cars and those 15in ones u see in Cerato and Avante are a sure sign that you are in the penalty box for not able to afford the top spec models with 17in wheels 

Big fenders needs big wheels to fill it up

10 hours ago, wangxiaodi said:

Or was i wrong?

Come on, there's no right or wrong.

If you like you can always down size the rims but maintain the overall diameter of the wheels.

As long as you have the $$ to down size the rims, who is to say you are wrong? If the car belongs to you, it's your choice.

• Praise 3

My elantra S has 15" ugly stock rims. Would look better with bigger rims... but it's a B&B car anyway. Some people change to 17". Definitely look nicer.

• Praise 1

Rims and rim size are just aesthetics to make the car looks nice. It neither return any $$ nor does it add horse power. It's just personal preference. If the car comes with bigger rims or smaller rims it's not a priority for most buyers. 

If you go buy car and the first thing you look at are the rim size and not buy according to your list of priorities then you belong to a small group of weird individuals.😂

• Praise 4

11 hours ago, wangxiaodi said:

Or was i wrong?

The new Mazda 3 has 16" and 18" options.
The korean sedans still start from 15" for basic trim and goes up to 17" for top spec trim.

Smaller wheels generally give better comfort and fuel economy, whereas big wheels give better road handling at the expensive of comfort and fuel economy. Big wheels also look better.

You have to weigh the pros and cons by yourself.

Edited by Beehive3783
  • Praise 2

52 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

My elantra S has 15" ugly stock rims. Would look better with bigger rims... but it's a B&B car anyway. Some people change to 17". Definitely look nicer.

The elantra elite 16 inch stock rims which indeed look so much better and nicer. I think for a mid sedan car must at least a 16 inch rims.

22 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Mazda 3 starts from 16" and I believe only one single size for this model.
The korean sedans still start from 15" for basic trim and goes up to 17" for top spec trim.

Smaller wheels generally give better comfort and fuel economy, whereas big wheels give better road handling at the expensive of comfort and fuel economy. Big wheels also look better.

You have to weigh the pros and cons by yourself.

Bro current Mazda 3 comes with 18in wheels for the higher end models. 

Small wheels means u have very thick sidewall. And thick sidewall means your tires will flex alot during cornering, and thats no good for your ability to handle sharp corners at speed will be compromised greatly. 

Its also not true that small wheels will instantly give u better fuel economy. You can get even better fuel economy if your big wheels are ultralight forged variety. Very often these wheels are even lighter than the tiny cast aluminum wheels you have

• Praise 1

the trend is going big on rims size.

the renault scenic come stock with 20'' rim while golf and a class can fit 19'' rims

some SUV today can use 22'' rims

so it's quite normal for sedan to use bigger rim as well. car sizes are getting bigger anyway

10 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Small wheels means u have very thick sidewall. And thick sidewall means your tires will flex alot during cornering, and thats no good for your ability to handle sharp corners at speed will be compromised greatly. 

Its also not true that small wheels will instantly give u better fuel economy. You can get even better fuel economy if your big wheels are ultralight forged variety. Very often these wheels are even lighter than the tiny cast aluminum wheels you have

Not everyone is looking for corner handling. Some prefer comfort.

And not everyone can afford lightweight forged wheels. Some prefer not to spend that money.

Hence my statement above which has the word "generally".

• Praise 3

42 minutes ago, SZ_ford said:

the trend is going big on rims size.

the renault scenic come stock with 20'' rim while golf and a class can fit 19'' rims

some SUV today can use 22'' rims

so it's quite normal for sedan to use bigger rim as well. car sizes are getting bigger anyway

Renault Scenic wheels are big because the rotors are huge.

And the tyre size is also extremely unique. 195/55R20. Pretty hard to find in SG I suppose.

• Praise 1

33 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Renault Scenic wheels are big because the rotors are huge.

And the tyre size is also extremely unique. 195/55R20. Pretty hard to find in SG I suppose.

If can find should still be ex to replace.

20"!😭

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

The elantra elite 16 inch stock rims which indeed look so much better and nicer. I think for a mid sedan car must at least a 16 inch rims.

Mid sized sedan is executive saloon.
I think let's clear this up.

Subcompact - Mz 2, vios, City, Polo
Compact - Elantra, mz3, Corolla, golf/Octavia, A4/3series/C class etc
Mid size - Mz6, Camry, Accord, 5 series, E class
Full sized sedans are seldom here in singapore by the non european brands. That would be the toyota avalon/ES300 and the usual towkay vehicles (S class, 7 series, A8).

Yeah usually an upsized rim usually look better. Unless it looks gaudy.

• Praise 3

13 hours ago, wangxiaodi said:

Or was i wrong?

These are compact category. Not mid sized. Refer to above.

Edited by Lala81

2 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

I know it is an unfair comparison but I can't help it.... haha

the cars that take corners like its on rails have the opposite of what people think regarding to tire sidewall height and rim size

cov.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1