Ford Focus 4 Dr 1.6A

Kelpie

Hi there,

1. It seems that Ford Focus is a popular American car on Singapore road. It is priced competitively and the road holding is superb. This is my current favourite. Do we have Focus owner here?

2. For the price of a Ford Focus, what would be a comparable choice (minus Jap/Kor cars)?

3. Is fuel consumption a downside for this car?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Regards.

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

1. I have just got my focus 1.6A 4 doors. Expected delivery in a week's time.

2. Opel Astra (a couple of thousand more), Renault Megane II (5 K more). But depending very much on what you want in a car. For me, the criteria was

- performance & handling (handling - focus, no question)

- looks (focus, megane)

- interior & build quality (megane is a notch higher)

3. I believe there are other focus owners who can advise on this area. Heard the file consumption is comparable to jap cars.

TL

Hi, to answer your questions:

1) Ok, I'm here, and so is Jman888. Vtim and Yttrium are recent converts, with other Focus owners sticking their noses in once in a while [laugh]

2) For that price, I'd mainly be looking at the Focus and Megane. Generally, the Focus is more driver-biased, while the Megane is comfort-oriented, but has a heck of a lot of toys. You can see my thoughts about the Renault here: http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/gforum.cgi...t=353843#353843

3) Based on what I've heard, there's quite a discrepency between the consumption of the manual and auto Focuses. The autos seem to be getting about 11km/l while I'm constantly doing above 13km/l with my manual.

Edited by Seansene

Hi there,

1. Megane 2 design is probably too loud and doesn't look and feel like a family sedan. There are not many on the road versus Focus. The renault car marking history wasn't that impressive when I looked at some overseas car reviews. Resales value is another issue. You don't see many in the car mart too. As far as road holding is concerned, Focus is really no horse run. The +ve feedback is consistent in many car review websites.

2. There is this look like new preugot 206 which has 3 ownership over a period of less than 2 years in car mart. The look and free is great but just too small for a family.

3. Is it true than a new focus model will be here come 2004?

Regards.

Hi Kelpie,

I guess a lot of what you have mentioned is subjective, so it's up to the individual buyer. For example, I find the look crisp and refreshing, just like the Focus was when it first appeared. Don't forget that the Megane II is probably the safest car in its class. Resale value is always an issue with non-premium conti makers, and more a result of perception than anything else. As for car-making history, exactly what about it wasn't impressive? Remember that BMW used to build cheap bubble cars too before they went upmarket.

The new Focus will be launched sometime next year, but possibly won't make it to these chores until late 2004 or even 2005. It will be even more spacious, should have a better (if more sober) interior, and feature really cool stuff, such as swiveling headlights and a twin-clutch option. So if you can hold your breath it might be worth it...

Hi there,

1. Yes, its just a matter of personal opinion. I don't like the rear design of RM2, its too sporty for me and probably more appealing to the younger generation [sunny]. I'm a old folk.

2. No wonder the dealer told me that there will be no new model for next year. Anyway, there was no major facelift a year or two ago too.

3. Any good buy beside Focus and RM2 of the same class?

Regards.

Well these two are my current favourites in the price range, and cover most of what a driver would want in a car, besides the all-important resale value of course! [laugh]

But if that last factor is the most important thing your mind, I'd go for the Civic.

Just my biased opinion... [;)]

Because it's basically a Laser. Messes the entire plan up by having a cheaper car with large engine competing alongside the Mondeo. Doesn't do anything for the brand's image either.

Hi there,

1. As mentioned earlier, there wasn't a major facelift in the current model versus a 2 years-old model. Given the case, does it make sense to get a 2 years old focus which may be 30% less than a brand new one? The warranty is 5 years hence it gives you some comfort in getting a 2 years old Focus.

2. By the way, do they still sell the older RM? I thought the old model is more appealing than the current one. I wonder if a 2 years old RM can go below 60k or not.

Regards.

Yep, that's basically what it is... that's what the Laser's been called in Malaysia all along anyway. And the Philippines too.

Look at the picture and ignore the headlamps and grille. Aren't the doors and glasshouse identical to the Laser (and Mazda 323 for that matter)?

post-50-1070351152_thumb.jpg

post-50-1070351153_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seansene
↡ Advertisement