Lose control

Cat_tang

Last week, my car skidded on the way up the ramp in a carpark. The floor was wet after the rain. I braked immediately, after which was not able to get the car to go further. The steering feels extremely loose and could feel that it's not gripping at all. After several tries, the engine stalled and after I restart, the car finally got moving.

After that, I was extremely careful whenever I go up the carpark.

Today, while travelling on ECP which was still wet after the rain last night, I could feel that the same thing is going to happen, which cause me to slow down alot. I sensed a slight pull and the car was like going to lose control and go towards the side. It's as if there's no friction between the tyres and the road.

Could anyone suggest what could be wrong, as I'm contemplating whether to go back to the agent or to have it check by my usual mechanic, who's more experience.

Thank you.

Edited by Cat_tang
↡ Advertisement

hi cat...

...I think this is a common problem....wet roads are slippery...

Going too fast...or braking too hard induces skidding.

Let's try to diagnose....

what's the brand/model/size of your tyres....

I know your car is relatively new, so it can't be worn tyres...but the size does matter.

I don't think that any of the other components (suspension,drivetrain...) is at fault.

maybe you might need to upsize your tyres.... [nod]

Edited by Presea

Seems like the wet grip of the tyres are bad..... [shakehead]

What tyres and profile are you using? And how old are the tyres?

One thing I learned is that in wet MSCP, never accelerate too fast as the grip is poor (esp cement floor).

Good luck to you.

Hi Cat,

Most of the MSCPs that I come across are very slippery when wet....so just drive carefully and I think it should be fine. Since your car is still new, the tires shouldn't be botak. You can check the tyre pressure though, see whether they're within the range of recommended figures...usually around 28 to 32 psi depending on size and make. This is stated in your car owner's manual. Most cars also have a sticker stating recommended tyre pressures on the pillar next to the driver.

Over-inflated tyres reduce contact area with the ground and may be the cause of your problem.

HTH. [:)]

Cat,

Understand what you went through..... I skipped once while at AIA tower...

Like the rest have mentioned, do take extra care while driving in MSCP.

But if you could provide info on your trye size, that will be great...

e.g: 160/60/13

Last week, my car skidded on the way up the ramp in a carpark. The floor was wet after the rain. I braked immediately, after which was not able to get the car to go further. The steering feels extremely loose and could feel that it's not gripping at all. After several tries, the engine stalled and after I restart, the car finally got moving.

After that, I was extremely careful whenever I go up the carpark.

Today, while travelling on ECP which was still wet after the rain last night, I could feel that the same thing is going to happen, which cause me to slow down alot. I sensed a slight pull and the car was like going to lose control and go towards the side. It's as if there's no friction between the tyres and the road.

Could anyone suggest what could be wrong, as I'm contemplating whether to go back to the agent or to have it check by my usual mechanic, who's more experience.

Thank you.

Yallo Cat,

Couple of things came to mind reading your post. I have the same problem going up the MSCP on rainy days, I noticed that I tend to lose traction at the top part of the slope while turning. Its seems to me like not all tyres are touching the ground. Also notice that the oil ( left behind by other cars ), do make the cemented ground extra slippery. Advise : Go slow in MSCP on rainy days. Especially while making turns.

The second incident is abit unclear to me, you side slipped in the MSCP after a wet day on the ECP, or you experienced the pull to one side while on the ECP ? Anyway, I assume its the ECP, if the not, the comments above still apply. The side pull could simply be you travelling into a puddle. Thats all. It happens.

Cheers..

And of course, you are not joining us for tomorrow evening's meet right... sigh. So disappointing !!!!

Looks like I have to be much more careful than I always am, when going up MSCP. Was so...so malu cos it was at my office MSCP, with all the other cars behind me.

I had thot it could be tyres, though they are only 3 mths old and I trust the dealer. Did checked the tyre pressure this morning, was within the range, but not very accurate since it's after a drive. Will check the tyre info later and you guys know.

As for the ECP case, it happen this morning on my way to work. I meant to say after the rain FROM last night. It was the same feeling I had when the car skidded up the MSCP. Feels like there's no grip, but it was a 1-2 sec kinda of thing, which never used to happen. Was so afraid that I might bang into the vehicles next to me, so I went slower and the cars behind had to overtake.

Thanks all.

"Did checked the tyre pressure this morning, was within the range, but not very accurate since it's after a drive."

Hi! there, Cat_Tang,

Whenever you feel a loss of confidence in grip to the front tyres, reduce the tyre pressure by 2 psi. For rainy situations, this will increase tyre contact on the road, but beware of hydro-planing.

Bear in mind that feel from the steering wheel will tell you how well your car handles in any situation. Best way to learn how to handle your car in the wet is at a deserted carpark, and twist & turn, jam on the brakes, until you know what's the best tyre pressure for you car.

Rgds

Paul Yong

Neutral Newbie

I beg to differ. 512s are quite terok... [:(]

I will change out from my 512's at an earliest possible time. Meanwhile deflate to a lower pressure like what Paul suggested... [:/]

You avatar is nice.

The tyres came with the new car, so I was not expecting any prob.unsure.gif

Any idea the cheapest and suitable brand, cos I know nothing. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement