Vtim 3rd Gear February 11, 2005 Share February 11, 2005 heard that 8 big valves is better than 16 smaller valves for DOHC engine? that's wat Alfa Romeo is doing? 8 valves have better low & mid, 16 valve good for mid & high ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vtim 3rd Gear February 11, 2005 Share February 11, 2005 gear box won't get hurt unless you never clutch in when changing gear the only thing that will get hurt is the clutch and that's only if you throw/dump the clutch when changing gears Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
XLR8 1st Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 Funny leh, I feel my Octy low end sucks! Mid and high good. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky8807 1st Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 Fabia uses 8 valves? But I just went to CA to look see look see the superb... Nice car... But pocket not that deep... Anyway, I saw this Fabia 1.4 with full MS-Design body-kit. So asked Sammo abt that ride... He told me that the car uses 16 valves leh... Same as Octavia... Makes my finger itchy when he told me abt it. Fabia 1.4 16 valves and Octavia 1.6 16 valves... Fabia worth the $$... Side note... Fabia 1.4 = 100bhp. Octavia 1.6 = 102bhp... See the similarity? Fabia has close to same horsepower as a 1.6 Octavia... That fabia is the sport model, top end and not the standard one. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
XLR8 1st Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 So standard will still be approx 60plus bhp? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
XLR8 1st Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 yup, Fabia has more power-to-weight ratio, having smaller chassis. 1.6L SOHC Skody abit under powered for SG isn't it? Same as my Protege. Tell me about it! Really underpowered esp with 1300kg chasis. Anyway Protege has how much bhp? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vtim 3rd Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 your's a 3.0 V6 or 2.4 IL4 ?? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sky8807 1st Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 Yup, Standard 68 bhp only. 120Nm at 2500rev/min There are many engines for fabia. Not available in sg. The 101 bhp is a DOHC driven by an idented belt and 4 v/v technology. 126Nm at 4400 rev/min Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jhoo Neutral Newbie February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 heard that 8 big valves is better than 16 smaller valves for DOHC engine? that's wat Alfa Romeo is doing? 8 valves have better low & mid, 16 valve good for mid & high Like that my 20v eat grass liow, good for nothing! May be asked servo to sealed 2 valves per cyclinder, becom 12 valves, ideal? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jhoo Neutral Newbie February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 (edited) Just something I'm curious about... Does everyone who drives Skoda Octy/Fabia feel like their car got burst of speed when ever u down shift to 3rd gear? Asking this cause, when I overtake on highway and I feel that the car can't move faster than I wan it to go, I will downshift to 3rd gear, release clutch and floor the accelerator, I get pulled back into my seat and off I go overtaking ppl. Only when i have overtaken, I'll shift to 5th gear and cruise on. As funny as it sounds, it feels like got built-in turbo in the engine. Is it me or does all car behave this way? and is it good for the engine that I do this? I'm starting to get hooked doing this downshift, up shift method of overtaking... take a ride in my car lar! A few more toys to add, give me 2 wk, arrange for meetup, ok? Edited February 12, 2005 by Jhoo Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kahlid Neutral Newbie February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 In Singapore context, which will be a better fit, 8 or 16 valve? How would we know whether it is big or small valve? Interesting, most of the Jap car are already equipped with 16 valves. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eugh Neutral Newbie February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 20V is the way to go... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Normal_aspirated Clutched February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 yup, Fabia has more power-to-weight ratio, having smaller chassis. 1.6L SOHC Skody abit under powered for SG isn't it? Same as my Protege. Tell me about it! Really underpowered esp with 1300kg chasis. Anyway Protege has how much bhp? mine oso ard 1,300Kg, paper spec is max power is 80KW/5500rpm & max torgue 145Nm/4000rpm. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Normal_aspirated Clutched February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 (edited) Skody using 8 valves SOHC engine? Got 8 valves DOHC one or not? you failed you maths har eh, didn't fail maths leh. ol' days Fiat 124 Special & Sport models use 8 valve DOHC engine, 132, followed by 131 series, etc ....... 16 valves one came later, mah. One guy from a performance car workshop told me 8 big valves is stronger and can take extreme stress better than 16 smaller & weaker ones, mah. Juz imagine u TC-ed a 8 valve DOHC Skody......... Edited February 12, 2005 by Normal_aspirated Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vtim 3rd Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 heard that 8 big valves is better than 16 smaller valves for DOHC engine? that's wat Alfa Romeo is doing? 8 valves have better low & mid, 16 valve good for mid & high Like that my 20v eat grass liow, good for nothing! May be asked servo to sealed 2 valves per cyclinder, becom 12 valves, ideal? no lar! your's the best of both world lor Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vtim 3rd Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 Just something I'm curious about... Does everyone who drives Skoda Octy/Fabia feel like their car got burst of speed when ever u down shift to 3rd gear? Asking this cause, when I overtake on highway and I feel that the car can't move faster than I wan it to go, I will downshift to 3rd gear, release clutch and floor the accelerator, I get pulled back into my seat and off I go overtaking ppl. Only when i have overtaken, I'll shift to 5th gear and cruise on. As funny as it sounds, it feels like got built-in turbo in the engine. Is it me or does all car behave this way? and is it good for the engine that I do this? I'm starting to get hooked doing this downshift, up shift method of overtaking... take a ride in my car lar! A few more toys to add, give me 2 wk, arrange for meetup, ok? I only free during lunch hours ley Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vtim 3rd Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 In Singapore context, which will be a better fit, 8 or 16 valve? How would we know whether it is big or small valve? Interesting, most of the Jap car are already equipped with 16 valves. I think most cars are really ok for Sg driving lar!, there are still some with only 8v Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vtim 3rd Gear February 12, 2005 Share February 12, 2005 aiyah, don't say last time one lar! that time "Mah Tah Cheng Teh Kor Hor" ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
[Official] 2021 Skoda Enyaq
[Official] 2021 Skoda Enyaq
2027 Škoda Peaq
2027 Škoda Peaq
A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore
A New Chapter - Skoda Singapore
[Spyshots] 2024 2nd Generation Skoda Kodiaq
[Spyshots] 2024 2nd Generation Skoda Kodiaq
Skoda Octavia RS launched in Singapore at $199,900!
Skoda Octavia RS launched in Singapore at $199,900!
[Spyshots] 2023 4th Generation Skoda Superb
[Spyshots] 2023 4th Generation Skoda Superb
[Official] 2025 Skoda Elroq
[Official] 2025 Skoda Elroq
🍳 Breakfast with Škoda at MCF HangOut – 14 September 2024, Škoda Centre Singapore 🚗
🍳 Breakfast with Škoda at MCF HangOut – 14 September 2024, Škoda Centre Singapore 🚗