Japz Neutral Newbie June 8, 2005 Share June 8, 2005 Hi ppl... I'm thinking of getting the Optra5. But, have been reading all the Chevy posts and it seems like Chevy got some FC issue. How bad can it get? 10-11km/L? or worst? If I were to get it I'm thinking of fixing the Optra5 with 17"-18" wheels... So, how bad will be the FC? -------------------------- Genie - Need you advise dude... I went to test drive few days ago... Comfy ride... but a bit hesitant in terms of pick up.. not that torquey... ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Optra5 Neutral Newbie June 9, 2005 Share June 9, 2005 Hi Japz FC is and always be an "issue" when it comes to "conti-like" cars in the Chevy. The body is heavier, the shell is tougher compared to some Jappy makes etc etc. Fixing 17" - 18" wheels will definitely increase the FC. I drive an Optra5, for me, its just getting used to it and also the kind of driving habits will determine your FC gauge. I thought long and hard between my current Optra5, Toyota's Vios and even the IST. The latter 02 simply cannot compare when it comes to equipment features. Just my 02 cents Jansen Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cbx750p 1st Gear June 9, 2005 Share June 9, 2005 When you fit oversize wheels like that on the Optra or any other car, your FC would be affected. Firstly, your actual vehicle speed would increase unless you can find a tire that is low profile enough to meet with the actual rolling circumference of the original tire. Doubt that there is any. With increase vehicle speed, your car would be travelling faster than it actually shows on the meters. Might get you into trouble with the LAW especially at speed traps Secondly, with a bigger wheel, your rolling resistance of the wheel would make the engine work harder and with that, naturally fuel consumption would have to go up. Thirdly and lastly, the oversized wheel would not be recognised by Chevrolet and your warranty for suspension system, brakes and chassis alignment would be compromised when there is a claim. Better give it a thought no matter what car you are getting. CBX Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Japz Neutral Newbie June 9, 2005 Author Share June 9, 2005 Thanx for your reply... What do you mean by the equipment features of Optra5? Are you refering to the traction control and the independent suspension? Well, tht's kinda true... Any other setbacks? How long have you been driving your car? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Japz Neutral Newbie June 9, 2005 Author Share June 9, 2005 Thanks for your reply... I fully understand the increase in mileage when you install oversized wheels. Every car will obviously suffer loss of mileage with oversized wheels. But the question now is how much loss.... But my question is how affected, since it already have the FC issue... I'm not so worried about the faster speed and stuff but more on the fuel consumption part. Let say after installing 17 or 18", you mean my FC will be like 6-8km/L? Coz, as for now, what the SE told me was the FC is about 10-11km/L.... I'm sorry if I'm creating an issue here... But, I'm just running my thoughts before I part with my $$$$$.... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Optra5 Neutral Newbie June 9, 2005 Share June 9, 2005 Hi Japz U need to do a bit of homework on your own..compare apple to apple Obtain the brochures of all the cars you are short-listing and then see whcih ones really fits your needs and NOT expectations Setbacks? none at all I have been driving for 5 months now...very happy with the optra5 hehehe...u goto Totyota Forum and they will tell u the same thing for their car lahhh... Regards Jansen Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Japz Neutral Newbie June 9, 2005 Author Share June 9, 2005 Hi Jansen, Thank you for your prompt reply. All I can say is that not many cars fit my styling needs. Optra5 definitely fits my needs and that's for sure. I simply love the styling for the car. So, there are only a few cars that I really fancy their styling which is within my reach... some is tad too expensive... I don't really fancy the Vios, City, Latio... Well, every forum will stand for their own beliefs.... Thanks for sharing dude... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cbx750p 1st Gear June 10, 2005 Share June 10, 2005 If you are going for 17, you would not be the first. I seen one Indian Army Sergeant who has a Black Optra fitted with fully body kit and a deck spoiler and 17" with 205/45/R17 tires. I will bet that it would take off like snail with that size of wheel. The rim however is too wide for the tires. He should have fitted 215 or a 225/40/17 instead. The first major kerb he hit, the rims would go ! If you are planning for 18, I have seen some fitted in the US...I posted a link here somewhere...this place is confusing as I cannot find my posting easily. I think it would be too big for the car. Makes the wheel look very huge and the ride would almost be impossible because it would be a very hard ride ! I suggest you go for a 16 or 17 ins wheel with lower springs from Irmscher ! CBX Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Zacer Clutched June 10, 2005 Share June 10, 2005 Thats ViJay with his 17" Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Japz Neutral Newbie June 10, 2005 Author Share June 10, 2005 Ya.. .agree with you... 18" is kinda too big for the car... 17" will look better.... Anyway, I'm not trying to be the first... Styling is one of my main concerns... hehehe Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Imc10 Neutral Newbie June 16, 2005 Share June 16, 2005 My Optra5 is about 3.5 months old. Been monitoring my FC and it has been fairly consistently hovering around 11.3-11.5 km/l or so (about 75% city, 25% highway). Can't compare to Jap engines... sigh I do believe I have a light right foot but then again no benchmark...hehe. Maybe we should all take a foot pressure test and agree what is defined as light I think best means of managing FC is your driving style, less to do with mods or rims. Less aggressive driving (i.e. minimal short speed bursts, consistent speeds where possible, gradual pickup etc.) will give for better FC. We ourselves are the best controller of FC. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Genie47 1st Gear June 16, 2005 Share June 16, 2005 (edited) Eh Japz! Don't want your souped up Starlet anymore ah? This car is like most of what the guys here can testify is a highway cruising machine. If you go at 100kph covering those highways, you FC will definitely be as good as any Japanese car. Hit those congested areas and you will pay dearly. My car also like that. Now with the travel routes established, the car gives me 12.5-13km/L. Optra5 being an auto should give you 11km/L at most with your kind of driving. As for wheels, I suggest upping to 16. Bigger sizes means harder to find low profile tires to the keep to the stock circumference. Explains why the 195/50/15 tires are most popular with the Aveo drivers. If you want better control, after 3yrs warranty over, pull out the autobox and mate it with an Opel manual transmission. I recommend the F16 manual box and most likely you will encounter the F16CR (for close ratio). If you can find it from a Daewoo Racer to salvage it from. It would also mean replacing the ECU with one from the manual Optras. Edited June 16, 2005 by Genie47 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Japz Neutral Newbie June 16, 2005 Author Share June 16, 2005 Selling my baby... Can help me find buyer? Kinda sad... but the low COE is tempting me.... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Genie47 1st Gear June 16, 2005 Share June 16, 2005 (edited) Better not. Keep her for the time being. How many more years left? Money hard to come by, minimize your liabilities. If possible, buy used car again. Just heard from somebody. He bought a 2yo Jazz for 50k. Counting back to the COE then, the 1st owner lost almost 30k in 2yrs. Used car market is very depressed. You can find a bargain if you look hard enough. Edited June 16, 2005 by Genie47 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Japz Neutral Newbie June 16, 2005 Author Share June 16, 2005 COE expiring 08/2011... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Genie47 1st Gear June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 Keep her going. So far no problems, right? Unless you become family man and need more space but look at Robin, still can use even with 2 kids and a wife. Still want more load space? Put a roof rack when you need it. Don't need bring down. Options still pretty good, right? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Japz Neutral Newbie June 17, 2005 Author Share June 17, 2005 But bro, for the past 3 months the COE have been very low. If I were to wait longer, the COE might shoot up again. I don't really know how to read this COE thingy. But, it seems to be around this 16-18k for quite sometime. I don't mind keeping her longer but i just wanna take the lower COE advantage... And on top of that, finance companies and banks are slowly increasing the interest rate... Now, is already 3%.... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Genie47 1st Gear June 17, 2005 Share June 17, 2005 COE will remain more or less at this until the end of this year and beyond. Many car buyers are keeping their cars longer and not changing them. Most are locked in by the 10yr loan or just smart enough to know not to fall into the vicious cycle that is partly responsible by this gahment. The reason why the interest rate go up is the same reason. Lots of people are already in the 10yr loan or might not want to change car and get new loan. Banks now cash strapped so increase rates. You see if bank is cash heavy, they lower rates to attract people to borrow. Now so many people already borrow and intend to keep this loan for 10yrs, a lot of money locked away so they increase rates. Your Starlet still under loan? ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Petrol Price Movement in Singapore
Petrol Price Movement in Singapore
Where to mod fuel needle?
Where to mod fuel needle?
Is it really cheaper to own an EV?
Is it really cheaper to own an EV?
Hydrogen cars could be headed to showroom near you
Hydrogen cars could be headed to showroom near you
Porsche Is One Step Closer To Producing Synthetic Fuel
Porsche Is One Step Closer To Producing Synthetic Fuel
Fuel Plus Meet Up
Fuel Plus Meet Up
Mercedes W211 E class fuel leak problem - Widespread issue!
Mercedes W211 E class fuel leak problem - Widespread issue!