If you’ve been following to my postings about the last few Formula 1 races you could guess that I am enjoying this year’s Formula 1 season it even if Sebastian Vettel seems to be winning over and over again. I suppose this is quite true as this time, the 2011 Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix is one that either tested my patience, or was one of those races that is worth the four and a half hours total time it took to complete. You see, it rained, the race was postponed for two hours on lap 29 and a whole lot of stuff was happening.
The Canadian Grand Prix in a nutshell can be surmised as the following: The rain caused havoc and mayhem – 5 safety car incidents and a two hour red flag delay happened because of it. Vettel lost on the final lap to Jenson Button. Michael Schumacher still has it in him when the going gets wet by finished 4th and Ferrari which started the race in 2nd and 3rd only got a 6th (Massa) with Alonso not finishing.
The race also showed that pitlane strategy as well as driving skill comes into play when the weather takes a turn for the worse. The right tire choice at the right time mattered. And it was an amazing last minute effort by Jenson Button driving a McLaren that basically showed the world that Seb Vettel is only human and he makes mistakes.
Totally worth the watch, the long wait right in the middle and the lack of sleep since we’re on the other side of the planet. And Groundhog day didn’t come this time around!
01. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1h23:50.995
02. Vettel Red Bull-Renault + 2.709
03. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 13.828
04. Schumacher Mercedes + 14.219
05. Petrov Renault + 20.395
06. Massa Ferrari + 33.225
07. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari + 33.270
08. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 35.964
09. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth + 45.100
10. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 47.000
11. Rosberg Mercedes + 50.400
12. de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari + 1:03.600
13. Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth + 1 lap
14. Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth + 1 lap
15. D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth + 1 lap
16. Glock Virgin-Cosworth + 1 lap
17. Trulli Lotus-Renault + 1 lap
18. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 3 laps
Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 62
Heidfeld Renault 57
Sutil Force India-Mercedes 50
Alonso Ferrari 44
Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 36
Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 8
Photo source: planetf1