Attn Motorcyclists -- Life Is Precious

Chromas

Having been driving for more than 7 years and having seen my fair share of road acts and having ranted here and there, I believe this post will be nothing new to the community but I think from time to time, it would be good to have it serve as a gentle reminder to one and all out there.

This post is not only meant for the motorcyclists out there (both local and cross-boarder ones), but also a message to drivers as well (to be on the look out for them).

I understand that the sheer temptation to ride in between lanes, be it on the smaller roads or especially the highways, is very high. It allows riders to get to their destination somewhat faster and also it allows bikers to move ahead of the pack during a traffic jam.

The act of riding between lanes is foremost against the law, but let's put that aside for now, as the sheer danger of being squashed between vehicles is even more severe a "penalty" than a fine or demerit points.

On several occasions, I am honked at by the bikers for the following scenario:-

- for "hogging" the area near the lane dividers, thus depriving them the chance to use it

- for changing lanes when they're just behind me trying to rush through the lane dividers

It would appear to the riding community that I have been rather inconsiderate in my behaviour while I am on the road. My car is bigger than any motorcycle out there and certainly, I am in a state of comfort in my air conditioned ride along with the added safety of pure metal wrapping me, instead of me having to use my fleshy body to wrap around the bike itself.

But what I think could be of use to both communities is that simple acts for bikes like:-

- not dashing in front of a car suddenly

- not clogging in front of a car past the stop line

- not riding dangerously between cars

- not riding between two lanes

All these acts would lead to a much better road environment, both for safety as well as the sheer reduction in road anger.

These views are solely my own as a driver. I know that there will be bikers out there who feel justified in some of the above acts, but the message I am trying to drive at is that it is a matter of road safety rather than the pride of driving a car versus riding a bike.

Afterall at the end of the day, if a biker were to have accidently brushed against my car during an overtaking move, all I'd be screaming about is the fact that I'd need to respray that panel, while the rider might be screaming in pain instead from the brush or the fall.

Edited by Chromas
↡ Advertisement

yeah right the day when you don't see bikers squeeze between lanes is the day when bike accident rate = 0.

they just dont get the bloody logic into their head.

What u said is quite true.

However, the way they ride is a fact of life, they arent going to change their habit.

So its for them & drivers to take more care on the roads and to be more considerate.

The riders im more concerned with are those P platers, usually teenagers who do not have the ample experience with their bikes and road conditions.

They try to do funny stuns and most times its the cars that give way to them to avoid an accident.

Prolly good to extend the course for new bikers to include more on the road training.

• Praise 1

i totally agree with you. These few days there are a few cases of fatal motorbike accidents. May i also request all motorbike riders to do their part in making the roads safer by not riding in between lanes. It is really dangerous and also a nuisance at times.

Those who agree should join in this appeal.

Also, how come the Traffic Police didn't really enforce this? If they have, i am sure the number of fatal road accidents will reduce significantly. They seems to have put more emphasis on drink driving, which in my opinion, the probably of encountering a drunk driver is lower than a reckless motorbike rider.

Edited by Lawman123
  • Praise 1

i just passed my class 2b! Weeeeeee! but now im feeling a bit scared. See how my friends drive bang bikers like a hobby. [hur]

sad to say, but more often than not, its the car driver that doesn't notice the bike coming or the driver that doesn't check the blind spots.

I also almost had a closeshave with a bike while driving on the road. my fault, never check blind spot [dead]

TP to enforce rule on riding in between lane??...nvr la.cos they themselves r guilty of riding btwn lanes too!i've had TP zooming past very near me.caused me such a fright.lucky nvr kena heart attack!

Neutral Newbie

Most bike accident were cause by reckless riders....and sad to say majority of them were quite young.. I know it cos I got my 1st bike when Im 18 n the way i ride then was... [blush]

TP not really enforcing bikers riding in between lanes juz like they do not really enforce the safety distance rule (isit 2-3 car length on normal road n increment of 1 car length with every 10km/h)

Imagine what will happen to the already super congested traffic if both of the condition above were strictly followed? [gossip]

I can only hope all road user can drive/ride less aggressively n more defendsively for a much safer road condition whereby everyone can safely reach home n be with their loved one at the end of the day [grouphug]

My good kaki also bike rider, keep 2 big bikes somemore and 1 car.

Getting marry soon, and I told him to give up riding for sake of his wife.

He is seriously thinking of giving-up! 1 life, don't play-play. Rider of many years earned him alot of on-road experiences, when to speed-up, slow-down, which lines under various traffic conditions. But, 1 mistake (not necessary the rider) will caused serious demages including lost of body-parts, & worst, life.

Those who already lost live on the road cant undo what's done.

Those living one can make a different!

haha. That's a good one. The Law Enforcer breaking the law themselves, often abusing their authority.

Actually to solve the problem, very easy. Just install some cameras along the highway and publicise that these cameras are meant to catch bikers who ride in between lanes. This will create enough psychological effect to deter these law breakers. Whether or not they really fine/punish these people is a different matter.

I have nothing against bikers, just that i hope they can ride safely for their own good and for the good of other motorists.

Neutral Newbie

have the "honor" to met a transformer bike this morning...

this guy was on the right of the straight/right turn lane

I was on the straight/left turn lane

both stop at the traffic light

when light turn green (for vehicle), the bike transform into a pedestrain, dash along the crossing (jay walking style) right infront of my car, transform back into a bike and do a left turn. [:|]

if I were to launch any faster, he will be under my car...

I agree to your points greatly.

I've been riding for 8 years on road on track. Comparing driving and riding, the latter will pose more difficulties technically.

Comparing the drivers and riders, the former will have more problems dealing with all the blind spots.

And my posting will be so long if I were to include all the points on the difference of these 2.

The need for a mutual understanding between riders and drivers lead to a better road condition.

- not clogging in front of a car past the stop line

- not riding dangerously between cars

- not riding between two lanes

not clogging in front of a car past the stop line

- sometimes when the biker is in a normal position, car drivers will horn at them. i don't understand why too. especially during jams. they feel the bikes should ride to the front, so as not to cause more jams?

- another thing is because of the hot weather, it is very uncomfortable to be in the mass of vehicles. and trust me, you won't want to smell the hot fumes from the cars' exhaust. especially those old/unmaintained cars/vans/lorries/buses.

the same as lowering your car's windows when waiting at the traffic light.

not riding between two lanes

as an biker and driver, i feel riding between lanes is safer than following behind the car.

why? you spend less time around "the same vehicle", reach your destination faster.

more often than not, when you are riding in your OWN lane, even when you are in the middle of the lane.

when another vehicle want to change into your own, they will just squeeze you away.

also, cars who jam brake suddenly, bikes' brakes are not as good. very easy to rear-end the car in front.

like i always say, those who never ride bikes will never understand why they ride in between lanes.

of course i don't condone dangerous riding/overtaking.

do you notice TP on bikes are doing the same thing too? riding to the front and in between lanes?

sometimes it is not easy to constantly check blindspot as we have to watch out for the car infront of us as well (especially in a tight jam). These motorbikes can sometimes appear very suddenly (there is no one on the side 1 sec ago you checked your blindspot) and if we are not careful, we would have filtered lane and bang into them.

TP to enforce rule on riding in between lane??...nvr la.cos they themselves r guilty of riding btwn lanes too!i've had TP zooming past very near me.caused me such a fright.lucky nvr kena heart attack!

haha. you should be aware of your surronding at all times. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement