BMW illuminates the future with new lighting tech

Blackseal

BMW is illuminating the future as the company has announced two new lighting technologies.

First up, the Dynamic Light Spot system uses an infrared sensor to detect any animals or pedestrians that are 100 meters (328 feet) in front of the vehicle. When something is found, a beam of light is focused on the object to alert the driver.

BMW has also developed glare-free high beam assistant. Details are limited, but the company says the system uses a camera to detect oncoming traffic and then "masks" the headlights to prevent glare.

BMW didn't say when to expect GFHBA, but indicated the DLS system will be offered as part of the Night Vision package.

Source: BMW

↡ Advertisement

Stopping at a traffic junction waiting for pedestrians to cross, wonder how the car knows which pedestrian to "spot light" on [:p]

Turbocharged

OT but related, I must say BMW has some of the best tail light designs. Especially the most recent 5 series, I love the waves-like fins built into the tail lights. Fantastic stuff.

OT but related, I must say BMW has some of the best tail light designs. Especially the most recent 5 series, I love the waves-like fins built into the tail lights. Fantastic stuff.

BMW pioneered the angel eyes, while MB started the signal at side mirror, and Audi did DRL.

They like to play with lights hor... :D