Suu Kyi detained

Didu

Supercharged

Old thread.

Suu Kyi in trouble with the Army again.

Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior party figures detained by army

Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior figures from the ruling party have been detained in an early morning raid, the spokesman for the governing National League for Democracy said on Monday (Feb 1).

The move comes after days of escalating tension between the civilian government and the powerful military that stirred fears of a coup in the aftermath of an election the army says was fraudulent.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/myanmar-leader-aung-san-suu-kyi-detained-spokesman-myo-nyunt-14084948

↡ Advertisement

The very first thing that any sensible civilian administration should have done is to clip the wings of the military. Preferably in a bloodless and even win-win fashion. 

Look at sg. So many people kpkb about why so many Generals go into ruling party politics and/or secure sinecures in senior civil service admin jobs. But have these people considered all the possible reasons this may not be an entirely bad thing? The last thing we need is a cult of personality built up by flag and senior officers. 

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Warning to all puppet leaders and seat warmers.

Don't wear such a big hat if you head ain't so big.

those that push her to that seat thought she could gain real power , and through controlling her they could control the country.

but it is not to be. she barely got enough administrative power to even run the country 

I think it is not apple-to-apple to compare Myanmar to Singapore because theirs is a fledging democracy and their military is still a mighty albatross around their democracy's neck. The military heads think the country owe them a favour for giving up military rule and to allow some form of democracy to start, but the power is very much in their hands. It's almost impossible to rein them in if they still want to come back to power. It's a complex problem for ASSK which she can never solves.

I'm a strong critic of parachuting ex-generals into GLC because they destroy values of these corps. These are all taxpayers' money and reserves and I don't like noobies handling our kids' future.

So question thus, how do we deal with these generals without having a potential coup and destroying our corps' value? I don't have an answer but there are many successful cases of established democratic governments which have managed to create a functional civilian control of military. Maybe we can learn from the best?

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 7

29 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

The very first thing that any sensible civilian administration should have done is to clip the wings of the military. Preferably in a bloodless and even win-win fashion. 

Look at sg. So many people kpkb about why so many Generals go into ruling party politics and/or secure sinecures in senior civil service admin jobs. But have these people considered all the possible reasons this may not be an entirely bad thing? The last thing we need is a cult of personality built up by flag and senior officers. 

No lah - here the officers only do a stint of 1 or 2 max 3 years in each post. Where got time to build up personal cult? And most soldiers are highly educated (probably more so then the commanders) NSF/NSmen. You think they gong gong follow like those career Thai/Myanmese/Indon etc private soldiers? 

2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

No lah - here the officers only do a stint of 1 or 2 max 3 years in each post. Where got time to build up personal cult? And most soldiers are highly educated (probably more so then the commanders) NSF/NSmen. You think they gong gong follow like those career Thai/Myanmese/Indon etc private soldiers? 

Actually, I only gave one example (the "don't bite the hand that feeds you" one) of why our senior occifers won't turn against the rulers so easily. 

I agree there are other measures, like what you wrote (like short postings).

I don't know if education has a whole lot to do with brainwashing, even very smart people can get caught up in it. Common sense and a rock steady sense of reality are more important than IQ or paper. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Here the ones to lead coups (generals) are already elites.... superscale salary, landed property, high end cars, country club, other perks we dobt know about.... no need to stage coup to get all that. Life already good. No need to clip wings. They will cut off themselves.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

36 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Before you even look for a pair of scissor, you will be locked up liao. Too much external influence and the citizens are the one suffering. 

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

No lah - here the officers only do a stint of 1 or 2 max 3 years in each post. Where got time to build up personal cult?

Agreed. Same thing in US & many other militaries - generals are generally 😀 on 3 year terms.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Actually, I only gave one example (the "don't bite the hand that feeds you" one) of why our senior occifers won't turn against the rulers so easily. 

this 1 very true, the key to power is military, and the key to military power is their soldier.

where does Myanmar soldiers loyalty lies? to the country or to those generals? i would say  those generals.

i dun know how thing goes around there,  but i believe those generals have power to the finance there also, they feed the soldiers. 

• Praise 3

Usually you need charismatic people to do effective brain washing. And need time of course. (religious cults come to mind)

Perhaps they are aware and never put charismatic officers in the top posts! 😄

50 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

It is not easy for her. She was placed there as a puppet and to avoid international sanctions. Doubt she had any real power so how to clip the wings of the military?

15 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I agree there are other measures, like what you wrote (like short postings).

I don't know if education has a whole lot to do with brainwashing, even very smart people can get caught up in it. Common sense and a rock steady sense of reality are more important than IQ or paper. 

We're a conscript army - why would we listen to them when most are just in the military to past time? 2 years and that's it. If the people are going to rebel, then wouldn't they rebel against being conscripted first?

Edited by ToyotaShuttle
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

44 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

because theirs is a fledging democracy and their military is still a mighty albatross around their democracy's neck

Correct - Myanmar's people have a deep & complex relationship with their own military. This is nothing like, say, getting rid of Franco in Spain - democratic rule came easily there.

ASSK herself even mentioned this conflicted historical feeling between seeing the military as saviours vs dictators.

This will be a long saga. ASSK never had a real chance in the short run. Quite tragic for Myanmar's people.

Edited by CremornePt
  • Praise 1

17 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

It is not easy for her. She was placed there as a puppet and to avoid international sanctions. Doubt she had any real power so how to clip the wings of the military?

We're a conscript army - why would we listen to them when most are just in the military to past time? 2 years and that's it. If the people are going to rebel, then wouldn't they rebel against being conscripted first?

First para: so Suu Kyi was a mere puppet? No real power at all? 

Second para: the Israeli IDF is a conscript army (women too!) and I think their sense of esprit de corps and respect for their military leaders is much stronger than in our men. But they've actually fought wars led by these men and women. Maybe that's something not worth having. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1