CNA: 8,800 PRs Served NS Over Last 5 years

Vulcann

coz they got to find someone to replace u ma.. must pay him and must also pay YOU.

My work will simply be transferred to my colleague. :D

But to be fair, i don't complain when his duties have to be discharged by me as he goes on reservist.

I hope amongst all Singaporean, we put aside petty difference n politic when come to NS.

This is the pillar for the stability of our nation. else.how will business invest here.

If even the gun you also want to give up, than prepare to let people screw yr ass.

Keep the gun n NS, you will do the screwing instead.

But on the other hand, leadership n business leadership must recognise this. cannot take local for granted.

There ar certain things that are more important than dollar n cents.

Lost money can earn back, lost the people, lost everything.

Just a two cents worth from one of the son of Singapore.

I feel you brother.

Given the same circumstances I will put on my uniform to serve again if need be.

And in times of war, I believe many [furious] bitching bros in this forum or others out there will not hesitate to take up arms to protect our land & loved ones.

But like you & many bros have mentioned, some locals like the elites, businessmen & foreigners take things for granted and some even made nasty remarks about NSF & NSmen like us which makes it very frustrating [speechless]

Many may even think NS is unnecessary & chided us for asking too much from the govt.

They have conveniently forgotten or are pure ignorant that in the course of our service, many of us sacrificed 2-2.5 years of the prime of our life for our nation, some even got injured & even lost their precious lives.

All this for what?

To serve & to protect so that these clowns can make merry & earn tonnes of more money?

And after the NSF phase, we still have to serve the reservist or now called NSmen cycle which we die die still have finish the liability.

All this for fun?

Got a friend working for a engineering MNC & over a drink he told me that his German boss made a casual remark infront of him over a business lunch that why locals need to go for ICTs whereas his FT colleagues all swee swee bo dai chi did not have such "problems".

BTW, he was the only local male in his department & have since left to find better pastures.

Even though I have finished my liability, it is sickening to the bone for folks to talk lightly of NS, somehow perceived to get some privileges or even trying all ways to get out of serving.

And never in my life or in my wildest imagination that some one could defer for 12 years....

I guess Singapore, is after all, a miracle state they always say.

Edited by Vulcann

*sigh* [:(]

Have to be a mathematic sinseh...

PR nos. = 530,000 as of June 2011

Assumption:

1. Half of these are in families = 530,000/2 = 265,000

i.e. the other half of 265,000 comprising:

(i) singles;

(ii) young couples w/o kids yet;

(iii) couples with girls;

(iv) old couples whose grown kids does not come with them; &

(v) couples who could not produce kids

all of whom would not be contributing to NS or able to yet for (i) & (ii).

2. The average happy PR family is consisted of:

(i) a man/husband/father;

(ii) a woman/wife/mother;

(iii) a boy/son/brother; &

(iv) a girl/daughter/sister

NB:

The above assumption does not take into account a family with:

(i) couple with 1 or more sons; &

(ii) a single parent with 1 or more sons

to be more conservative.

3. Only the boy/son/brother is required to serve.

4. So the total no. of 2nd generation eligible male PRs to serve = 265,000/4 = 66,250

5. Assuming half of them are too young to serve yet.

6. Therefore the total no. now = 66,250/2 = 33,125

7. Assuming again half of them have medical reasons or have strange 12-year deferments.

8. Therefore the total no. now = 33,125/2 = 16,563

9. Taking into account the serving 8,800(salute! [thumbsup] ) 4,200 (PTUI!!! [thumbsdown] ), we will have = 16,563-8,800-4,200 = 3,563 who some how could not be accounted for.

Hope this off-the-envelope, unbiased calculation which is not exact science is clear to some.

And so far after so many donkey years since the implementation of the PR scheme & after a humiliating GE (in their opinion), we finally have a indication of how many 2nd generation PRs served NS during the last 5 years.

Just hope they will do one step further & publish the exact figures how many serve each year since the PR scheme was implemented.

For those still not clear, 8,800 plus a few hundreds or even thousands more , say total of 8,800x3 over 15 years = 26,400 out of 530,000 is just barely 5% only & nothing to shout about.

IMHO, 5% of half million PRs having served NS is a little tad too low..

BINGO!!!

I have gotten it figured out- the 3,563 unaccounted for were the ones who have already served.

How foolish of me...

Edited by Vulcann

TS

the topic should be

Less than 1 out of 2 male PR is willing to become a citizen.

The total male PR population is: 13000 eligible for NS

But of which that became citizen is: 6100

meaning..............................Less than 1 out of 2 male PR is willing to become a citizen!

Another real question, is the NS 'dig trench, BMT, kenna tekan' type? Or is it 'Tony Tan's son styled type of NS in aircon lab doing research'?

that son can stay condemn in lab f orever & better pray TT longer life

i'm surprised with the numbers. i mean it is so low.

but when i am outside like MRT station, hawker centres, etc., they are everywhere and how come only so few?

Edited by Ladykillerz

i'm surprised with the numbers. i mean it is so low.

but when i am outside like MRT station, hawker centres, etc., they are everywhere and how come only so few?

Those are FWs and low level FTs lah , those that convert to citizen type drive BMs , eat at restaurants one .. [:p]

Maybe it is time to start a refresh education for all these new bosses and FT what is NS and how it fit into their long term business plan.

But if these FT boss is only here to do his kPI and keluar with big fat pay, than forget it.

they are just missionary here to do the dirty job and F off....and leave behind s--t for us to clear.

It is time to refresh our Medeka.

The numbers are given in the article:

4,200 renounced their PR to avoid NS

8,800 did NS

so its accurate to say MOST PRs kids do NS.

that goes against what many here have thought....... [rolleyes]

Personally I think all residents of NS starting age should do NS. Im glad to see most PRs kids are doing just that

You conveniently neglect to consider the females [rolleyes]. Without taking that into consideration, your statement on "PR kids" is quite baseless

The real question is how many PRs we have to date and what percentage of their children siam NS throughout and not only the last 5 years...

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1166966/1/.html

8,800 PRs served NS over last 5 years

Posted: 22 November 2011 1500 hrs

SINGAPORE: Over the last five years, about 8,800 males who had become permanent residents under the sponsorship of their parents were enlisted for and served National Service (NS).

About 6,100 of them have taken up citizenship.

Defence Minister Dr Ng Eng Hen gave the figures in a written reply to a parliamentary question from Nee Soon GRC MP, Dr Lim Wee Kiak.

In that same period, about 4,200 males who had become permanent residents under the sponsorship of their parents renounced their PR status prior to serving National Service.

Dr Ng said the failure of these permanent residents to serve NS will be taken into account when they subsequently apply to study or work in Singapore.

These PRs were warned about the consequences of their action at the point of renunciation.

I'm more interested in knowing if and how the the government intends to reconcile the fact that these kids already enjoyed subsidised location education, as well how their presence had affected local born citizens in their enrollment into the primary schools of (or not) of their choice

just that these 4200 "renouncees" for example.

They enjoyed subsidised local education that's rather well prized internationally

They took up places in our primary schools. Definitely would have denied some local borns of a place in the school of their (parents') choice.

Even if not, their PR parent volunteers would also have put on 'competition pressure' for parents of local borns to put in mroe hours of volunteer work at the schools to give their child a better chance. More volunteer time = less time time at work => either prospects could be affected or mroe pressure in juggling work/volunteer work ...

So do we get to claw back some?... or just dangle the boogie man stick of "failure of these permanent residents to serve NS will be taken into account when they subsequently apply to study or work in Singapore"?

but do they want to serve NS? front their responses, it is clear.

Maybe they don't but they did it anyway. So why should PRs get to NOT do what they don't want to do?

A little OT here:

(Forget about those FT/PR immigrant mess and sh*t this Garment had gotten us into in the last 10 years.)

Let's say you have son. True blue born and breed Singaporean son.

And given the choice, will you let him serve NS duty when his time comes?

A little OT here:

(Forget about those FT/PR immigrant mess and sh*t this Garment had gotten us into in the last 10 years.)

The answer is yes.

Well said.

But it seems like some companies view reservist commitments more like a liability than a necessary duty or obligation.

bro, you know why some companies view reservist commitments negatively??? That's is because reservist themselves caused it... The reserve duty is only 1 ~2 weeks per year... Occassionally may be slightly longer if there is overseas training. This I believe will not cause much disruption to our work because we know it long before the reporting date.

Now, the disruptive one is the extra training for those who failed IPPT. That can be very disruptive cause it happens every week until the staff concern pass his IPPT. But if you train properly before taking the test and pass it, that isn't a problem to the company too. I know of many colleagues who purposely fail the test so that they can leave company early to report back to camp for training

A little OT here:

Confirmed yes. Going through ns is something you should not avoid. :D

The real question is how many PRs we have to date and what percentage of their children siam NS throughout and not only the last 5 years...

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1166966/1/.html

8,800 PRs served NS over last 5 years

Posted: 22 November 2011 1500 hrs

SINGAPORE: Over the last five years, about 8,800 males who had become permanent residents under the sponsorship of their parents were enlisted for and served National Service (NS).

So little??

↡ Advertisement