KIA Stinger GT

Jzachlee

Haven't had the privilege to peek inside one of these beauties yet... only seen pictures online...

Bro, just make some time.. do a test drive each (on both SG models).

That may (if you're given decent times) allow you to compare one vs other.

Believe you drive a Sonata? Not quite the same as KIA K5 but it should still give you a reference to measure the Stingers by.

Tested only the 2L (the 3.3 was "on loan" to a journalist for writing review). But viewed the static 3.3 display unit, and rode as passenger during one of the promo events.

Definitely impressed.. both models are tempting. Without doubt the 3.3 much more so.

But realities of car ownership in SG, satisfaction with current ride, and personal driving needs/style/attitude, so far make me hestitate to pen the buy contract.

Maybe same for you.. but believe you'll find it worthwhile to even just see & touch.

• Praise 1

Bro, just make some time.. do a test drive each (on both SG models).

That may (if you're given decent times) allow you to compare one vs other.

Believe you drive a Sonata? Not quite the same as KIA K5 but it should still give you a reference to measure the Stingers by.

Tested only the 2L (the 3.3 was "on loan" to a journalist for writing review). But viewed the static 3.3 display unit, and rode as passenger during one of the promo events.

Definitely impressed.. both models are tempting. Without doubt the 3.3 much more so.

But realities of car ownership in SG, satisfaction with current ride, and personal driving needs/style/attitude, so far make me hestitate to pen the buy contract.

Maybe same for you.. but believe you'll find it worthwhile to even just see & touch.

Yeah man... I think 2.0 L turbo enough already...

Yeah man... I think 2.0 L turbo enough already...

For daily commute, more than enough lah.. on paper 0-100km/h in 6 seconds is quite brisk.

FC not bad.. if you are majority on highway like me  :D

For daily commute, more than enough lah.. on paper 0-100km/h in 6 seconds is quite brisk.

FC not bad.. if you are majority on highway like me :D

Ya, if you drive in Singapore and especially during regular commute hours. 250hp is enough. Anything more is a waste of petrol.

Yes the extra torque and power comes in useful but the traffic conditions here really limit it to just a few seconds of use before you hit the brakes.

In Malaysia nshw is a different story.

Ya, if you drive in Singapore and especially during regular commute hours. 250hp is enough. Anything more is a waste of petrol.

Yes the extra torque and power comes in useful but the traffic conditions here really limit it to just a few seconds of use before you hit the brakes.

In Malaysia nshw is a different story.

Yeah in regular driving normal working hours.. cannot utilize all the 250 ponies or the 353nm torque.

Abit abit, cannot liao must brake.

So I drive off peak hours  [laugh]

the question is not 250bhp/350Nm consistently to achieve 200+ kmph ... it’s welcome at msia nshw ;)

it’s to deliver 250bhp/350Nm at the split second when you need it ... since many claiming only utilise the full power in a short span of time

am not talking about reckless driving

but the agility like the fastest phone in loading and switching apps

Edited by Wt_know

the question is not 250bhp/350Nm consistently to achieve 200+ kmph ... it’s welcome at msia nshw ;)

it’s to deliver 250bhp/350Nm at the split second when you need it ... since many claiming only utilise the full power in a short span of time

In City drive, it is 353nm vs 510nm torque that's very important.

In addition, the usable speed range is usually 60km/h - 100km/h.  There is 1 sec difference btw both 2 and 3.3.

Yeah.. cruising at 160/200km/h is not the point. How you get from 0 to 100 or 100 to 160 is more fun.

I've seen the 3.3 v6 quoted times for century sprint as low as 4.4 seconds (RWD) while official figure is 4.9 seconds, with AWD being slightly slower, while the 2.0T can do it as little as 5.9 seconds.

For 50mph to 70mph acceleration or 80~ to 110~ km/h in our context, the 3.3 v6 Stinger GT does it in 3.2 seconds and 2.0T in 4.5 seconds. Comparatively speaking, BMW 330 (4cyl IL4) is 4.4 seconds, Audi A4 Quattro (4cyl IL4) is 3.8 seconds and Lexus IS200t is 4.9 seconds.

• Praise 1

I've seen the 3.3 v6 quoted times for century sprint as low as 4.4 seconds (RWD) while official figure is 4.9 seconds, with AWD being slightly slower, while the 2.0T can do it as little as 5.9 seconds.

For 50mph to 70mph acceleration or 80~ to 110~ km/h in our context, the 3.3 v6 Stinger GT does it in 3.2 seconds and 2.0T in 4.5 seconds. Comparatively speaking, BMW 330 (4cyl IL4) is 4.4 seconds, Audi A4 Quattro (4cyl IL4) is 3.8 seconds and Lexus IS200t is 4.9 seconds.

Nice info. Where to find these may I ask?

I need to know who I can kajiao on the road. :grin:

I agree that the Stinger 2L is more than enough to meet most NEEDS, both in SG and on NSHW.

But what we, as enthusiasts, WANT are the sounds and feel of a V6, the bragging rights of a sub-5 second sprint time, the Brembos and the adjustable suspension.

So it's a matter of Need vs Want. Question is, is it worth $7k a year.

• Praise 1

I agree that the Stinger 2L is more than enough to meet most NEEDS, both in SG and on NSHW.

But what we, as enthusiasts, WANT are the sounds and feel of a V6, the bragging rights of a sub-5 second sprint time, the Brembos and the adjustable suspension.

Buying a car like Stinger.. is more of fulfiling that want, more than need. I think $7K a year isn't a lot for a car like the 3.3 v6 Stinger.

That said, i'm a high mileage user so I have to balance this requirement. Running costs for the 3.3 v6 will be significantly higher in the long run, not to mention the $35-45K premium over the 2.0T. If you can, do go for the 3.3 v6. It will be worth it  ^_^

• Praise 1

$7k is the extra vs the 2.0t? Which includes the purchase price, plus extra roadtax and higher consumption?

$7k is the extra vs the 2.0t? Which includes the purchase price, plus extra roadtax and higher consumption?

$7K consists of:

1) Depre ($17.5K vs $13.7K) -  $3.8K

2) Fuel (30,000km annual mileage, at 8kml for GT and 10kml for 2L, at $2.13/L) - $1.6K

3) Road Tax ($2.9K vs $1.2K) - $1.7K

Maintenance should costs a little more for GT due to its bigger sump and more spark plugs, but I didn't count those.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8