Steering horizontal rack column

KaKiLang

Saw ebay selling the same parts but anyone can advice any different between left or right hand drive.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Its for my 2004 7th Gen Civic, no more parts locally, my workshop quote me $1800 without freight, Tanly only have repair kit.

Available in Ebay for only $300 whole complete column with shipment wont be costly. wonder its for US left hand drive.

Have not try scrapyard yet.

Edited by KaKiLang

Turbocharged

Its for my 2004 7th Gen Civic, no more parts locally, my workshop quote me $1800 without freight, Tanly only have repair kit.

Available in Ebay for only $300 whole complete column with shipment wont be costly. wonder its for US left hand drive.

what's wrong with the current steering rack? if leaking fluid, Elite Drive Shaft at Sin Ming Autocity may be able to rebuild it.

LHD vs RHD might be an issue, due to the routing of the fluid pipes as well as mounting points. Best to check if same part number

(edited)

Nothing leak yet, fluid level constant all these years, only pre-thailand road trip did a wheel alignment and was told my bearings need replacement but when I send in my car at Honda agent in Hatyai, was told not bearing wornout but the steering rack need replacement, both front wheels are abit lag but not a big issue yet as nothing leak and given the go ahead by the adviser, so stock up a litre of steering fluid in the boot but till now still not open yet. On my return leg to Honda Hatyai, I need to wait 5 days for parts to come from Bangkok Honda so I did not wait for the replacement.

Yes the part numbers are the same but worry it was manufactured for left hand driven.Tanly at waterloo has the repair-kit was thinking of recon, will check out Elite Drive Shaft for the job. I dont feel any different when the car was driven. Getting a scrapyard part will be my last priority, I rather spend the money to get a new set as this was quite a major job.

Edited by KaKiLang

If workshop quote you $1800, then it sounds to me the $300 one could be recon set. Bcos the different cant be so great.

For your info, a full replacement of steering rack (brand new set) for a Jap car typically cost above $1k. You can ask around. Honda Stream steering rack also cost about $1.6k while a recon set cost $350.

Supersonic
(edited)

Nothing leak yet, fluid level constant all these years, only pre-thailand road trip did a wheel alignment and was told my bearings need replacement but when I send in my car at Honda agent in Hatyai, was told not bearing wornout but the steering rack need replacement, both front wheels are abit lag but not a big issue yet as nothing leak and given the go ahead by the adviser, so stock up a litre of steering fluid in the boot but till now still not open yet. On my return leg to Honda Hatyai, I need to wait 5 days for parts to come from Bangkok Honda so I did not wait for the replacement.

Yes the part numbers are the same but worry it was manufactured for left hand driven.Tanly at waterloo has the repair-kit was thinking of recon, will check out Elite Drive Shaft for the job. I dont feel any different when the car was driven. Getting a scrapyard part will be my last priority, I rather spend the money to get a new set as this was quite a major job.

If part number is the same then it is the same part, if a part is slightly different, the part number would not be the same any more. No manufacturer will use a same part number for a diff part, cannot imagine they ship a whole shipment of part to a country to realise that the part is wrong. The blower of my merc use a diff part number for left hand drive car, I realised that when I tried to search for one from the internet. I thought the part should be quite standard and symmetrical.

You may want to get a second opinion on the problem since the two workshops told you two different things. Dont and up replacing the wrong part.

You should still ask scrap yard, no loss.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

If part number is the same then it is the same part, if a part is slightly different, the part number would not be the same any more. No manufacturer will use a same part number for a diff part, cannot imagine they ship a whole shipment of part to a country to realise that the part is wrong. The blower of my merc use a diff part number for left hand drive car, I realised that when I tried to search for one from the internet. I thought the part should be quite standard and symmetrical.

You may want to get a second opinion on the problem since the two workshops told you two different things. Dont and up replacing the wrong part.

You should still ask scrap yard, no loss.

Not in critical moment yet, still have time to explore further not going to rush. Doing a recon job on my current rack with repair kit is my best option knowing how I abused the ride and maintaining it for this past 16yrs.

My power steering had 2 recon done, still running well so far.

Supersonic

Not in critical moment yet, still have time to explore further not going to rush. Doing a recon job on my current rack with repair kit is my best option knowing how I abused the ride and maintaining it for this past 16yrs.

My power steering had 2 recon done, still running well so far.

good to hear that you hv prior experience. Will need to learn from you one day.
↡ Advertisement