Questions on Toyota Altis dashboard

Hocus

Neutral Newbie

Hi. I am a newbie here. So I am unable to post new topic in this forum. I wonder if anyone can help to advise if I need to deactivate my airbag before replacing dashboard. I am looking to replace my cracked dashboard of my Toyota Altis 2008. Contemplating whether to do it myself or to get a workshop to do it. Replacing the dashboard is complicated but is not really a impossible job if I have the time. My only concern is activating the airbag while replacing. I am thinking to just disconnect my battery before doing so. But not sure if it is the right procedure.  Also not sure if it is better to repair or change the dashboard. The cracked area is at the driver side. Will be happy if anyone is able to recommend a suitable workshop to repair or replace the dashboard.

Thank you in advance!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Hi, your repair is quite rare. Maybe you can call into a few workshops to get some quotation first. At least you have a ballpark figure how much the repair cost.

You definitely need to deactivate your airbag. Usually you just disconnect the battery and you are good to go. But I won't advise you to do it yourself if you are a novice DIY-er. Leave this job to professionals. 🙂

Neutral Newbie

Thanks guys! Yes. I am indeed worried more about the airbags. I asked around for the cost of a dashboard and understand that it can cost about $600-$700. With installation, it could cost $1k+? Will try to call a couple of workshops to ask for a quote.  🙂

Neutral Newbie

Actually, besides price point, I am also trying to look for a reliable workshop or installer. I have come across workshops who either charge exorbitantly or did a poor job that results in subsequent problems

downstream. 

(edited)

I think there should only be 2 air bags 1 on passenger side (in dash board) and one on steering wheel. 

I have DIM(do it myself) swapped the dashboard of a 07 axio few yrs back which should be similar.

Some considerations / information:

1) Are you to get a reasonable good condition dashboard considering the price and duration you intend to hold on to the car ?

I think the original dashboard from cars around this age might be deteriorating unless it is re-wrapped. (I noticed the dashboard which I swapped likely a  re-wrapped with  PVC sort of material even had a SRS logo embossed)

2) You need to know how to remove the passenger glove compartment , trimmings beside headunit , speedometer etc.

3) I remember that time I disconnected the passenger air bag connection without disconnecting the battery. Maybe it is safer to disconnect the battery but I believe there is some charge remains in the airbag device. From the olden days car manual I read airbag  is actuated by some chemical to create gas and should only be activated only if the vehicle is moving at a certain speed have an deceleration of certain rate. The airbag is mounted to a rigid frame under the dash board which (referring to air bag) needs to be removed before the dashboard can be removed.

FYI after replacing the the dashboard I am not sure if the airbag is functioning properly 😅.

Sorry for the poor english

Edited by Boxster
  • Praise 4

Neutral Newbie

Hi Boxster,

Thanks much for the detailed answers to my questions. I renewed my COE for 10 years. So yes, I do intend to hold on to this car for some time. I have seen how to open up the glove box, and all relevant parts to remove the dashbox. It is rather complicated but not impossible. I often take photos on the area that I open up. This will allow me to trace back my steps when I attempt to fit it back. 

My concern is exactly yours. Not sure if the airbag will still work after fitting it back. I believe there is a cable that I need to disconnect in order to remove the airbag. Rightfully speaking, these clip on cable should not render the airbag non-functional if the cable is well connected. The one question I have is whether the airbag comes with the dashboard or separated when I purchase the dashboard? I saw it somewhere that the airbag seems connected beneath the dashboard (like what you have said). 

The other question is that the crack is at the edge on the driver side, quite away from the airbag at the passenger side. Would it still pose a danger to the driver should the passenger airbag exploded. 🙂

The dashboard and the air bag (passenger side) are separate item as the air bag mounted directly to a frame under the dashboard.

The airbag had to be removed because it restricts the removal of the dashboard.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Thanks! This is useful. This will help me to anticipate what to expect if I were to do it myself. 

↡ Advertisement