Advice needed: 6 days in Perth with a two year old and farm stay in March?

therock

On 3/19/2024 at 3:52 PM, therock said:

There’s a 24 hour pho called U&I 

very decent 

$18 per bowl 

IMG_1356.jpeg

Looks good... I had some of the best pho in Adelaide where my mum's relatives stay... we had a really good serving of ox-tail with the beef slices and other parts... that was way back in 2013... why can't Singapore have such good pho... sigh... our pho chains here serve the kway teow with cockroach smell often...

↡ Advertisement

On 3/19/2024 at 8:30 PM, therock said:

Good food and a robot waiter 

$75 for 3 noodles one soup and a Xiaolong pao

IMG_1456.jpeg

IMG_1447.jpeg

IMG_1454.jpeg

Why eat Asian food in Oz? It's like still considered exotic and costs the sky man... I'll eat their angmoh food and get away with cheaper prices? I mean it's still expensive to eat out in Oz but there's a premium on Asian food though... hahaha... weird but true...

• Praise 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:34 PM, therock said:

+1

with a baby it’s much simpler to stay put

remember the trip is for the baby not for you 

and for domestic peace keep things simple .. you be glad you did 

Oh I thought it was the other way round... the trip was for us and not the baby... baby doesn't know anything to appreciate the trip... but the adults do... hehehe...

On 3/21/2024 at 9:27 AM, therock said:

Even took out the baby chair and wiped it automatically 

remembered our last orders 👍 

IMG_1534.jpeg

Got tips mah... Singapore where got tips for waiters?

On 3/21/2024 at 11:37 AM, Lala81 said:

haha not the supermarket (wooly's or coles) basic loaf. they taste lousy. 

Must be artisan sourdough hor....

On 3/21/2024 at 11:54 AM, Jman888 said:

their cafe in general all quite good, can go cafe hopping which @Tohto will like :D

Yes I like it too... but quite expensive lar... I notice that portion sizes also like shrink liao... comparing 2004, 2005, 2013 and 2019... shrinkflation quite obvious...

On 3/21/2024 at 2:14 PM, Confusedboi said:

Australia has some of the highest minimum wages in developed world so their purchasing power is much higher than in Singapore . Easily 20 aud plus per hour minimum wage by now. Think it’s about 23 plus AUD for any kind of job be it temp job or casual contract.

Eh... if you're Asian, probably get a bit less? I think still got some differentiation? At least that's what I heard from a family friend there lar... more of their kids working the supermarket and getting less than what other 'whites' get... not sure if it's the race thing or just the experience or both...

On 3/21/2024 at 9:39 PM, therock said:

I took a few pictures of my $18 chicken rice… a good reminder to be grateful for our local food 

traveling helps improve our outlook and maintain a proper perspective 

$18 can feed my family already with chicken rice at our hawker centre with better taste and texture... that's why I never eat Singapore food overseas, and Asian food for that matter...

On 3/22/2024 at 8:47 AM, therock said:

Btw the cops and traffic wardens are very on the ball so don’t try your luck

if it says 2p it means two hours parking strictly and they check 

If the speed limit says 50 kph, don't even try 55... got fined before... 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:08 PM, therock said:

The problem with traveling with the young and old is the senior looks for Asian food and the young sometimes just stop eating their usual favorites 

so you tend to overoder and see what they eat ending up with wastage 

back at fortune five again. For dim sum 🥟 

I know right... just cannot second guess what the kids want... I always do it, and so now I order almost nothing for myself and mop up what they refuse to eat... feel heartpain to waste food lar...

Supersonic

FYI if you’re keen on their duty free, order it online first then collect cos it costs more at the airport and you also need to pay 0.5$ for the plastic bag 😡 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 3:03 PM, teomingern said:

Eh... if you're Asian, probably get a bit less? I think still got some differentiation? At least that's what I heard from a family friend there lar... more of their kids working the supermarket and getting less than what other 'whites' get... not sure if it's the race thing or just the experience or both...

Not really.. my girl working part time is getting around aud29 per hour and on Sunday is almost double. 

Not in supermarkets and restaurant. 

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 2

Supercharged
On 3/22/2024 at 3:03 PM, teomingern said:

Hm I heard about this since way back not sure about it but I think it may mainly applies to working in Asian restaurants or eateries or super markets or mini marts. Any other place's like the bubble tea shops etc  normally will pay at least the minimum wage if not more for casual work. 

• Praise 1

(edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 7:19 PM, Confusedboi said:

Hm I heard about this since way back not sure about it but I think it may mainly applies to working in Asian restaurants or eateries or super markets or mini marts. Any other place's like the bubble tea shops etc  normally will pay at least the minimum wage if not more for casual work. 

Well my friend's case was the supermarket... one of larger ones in the neighbourhood... but things may have changed for the better now that the population mix for Oz is not so predominantly white like it was maybe only a decade ago...

Edited by teomingern

On 3/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, Tohto said:

Not really.. my girl working part time is getting around aud29 per hour and on Sunday is almost double. 

Not in supermarkets and restaurant. 

That's amazing wages man...

Supersonic

Food on the return flight was pretty nasty.. and the children’s meal was spicy 🥵 

entertainment system was also cranky 

but the movie just one goal was inspirational 👍 

• Shocked 1

Supercharged
On 3/23/2024 at 1:00 AM, therock said:

Food on the return flight was pretty nasty.. and the children’s meal was spicy 🥵 

entertainment system was also cranky 

but the movie just one goal was inspirational 👍 

Which airline u took?

↡ Advertisement