Jump to content

Manual car wash here...


Hensony
 Share

Recommended Posts

After reading all the horror stories about auto car wash, I decided to try manual car wash. This afternoon, I went to the outlet which is located at a Shell petrol kiosk along Guillemard Road toward Nicoll Highway.

 

For those who have not tried it before, here's the procedure:

 

You drive up and queue behind the car in front of you, which is currently been washed.

 

A guy will come to enquire what type of service you want. You can choose:

 

(a) to wash the exterior only @ $6

 

(b) to wash exterior and vacuum the interior @ $10

 

© wax and polish - not sure

 

I wanted them to wash the exterior only.

 

When the car in front has finished, the driver is to drive to another spot to have the car dried. I am to drive the car forward. The cleaners would then come and jet-spray the water, sponge the entire car with detergent and finally rinse off. All this was done while I was in the car. Interesting experience...

 

Once done, I was to drive to another spot to have my car wipe dry.

 

This is where you have to be careful. The lane is very narrow. I had a hard time negotiating the turns. A few scratch marks on the wall serve as a warning to all to be extremely careful.

 

I drove to the designated spot, got out, paid the guy and watch the rest dry the car.

 

All in all, I am quite pleased with the result. The entire process took about 15 minutes.

 

For those who had their cars washed and vacuumed at JB will know that only RM7 (i.e. S$3) is needed. Over here, $6 is a bit steep. Not forgetting that it does not include vacuuming.

 

What to do? It's either we have the convenience of having our car manually washed here or join the long queue at the checkpoint.

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a standard $5 all around the island?

 

I used to go to the one along Alexandra, Mobil Station...towards Ikea.

I have tried many all over the island...and this was the best one.

 

Run by some Chinese guys. They have a couple of Indian/Bangladeshi Workers to do the soap/sponging. That was back when I was doing sales and no time to wash the car myself.

 

Quite a good job...but the inside of the rims was always neglected. But for $5....it's not too bad.

 

I remember seeing one Mercedes driver...get out of the car....inspect the rims...and basically told the gut that he wanted the inside of the rims to be cleaned. [:|] I couldn't believe how cheapskate he was.

The poor man (I think he was one of the local guys who owned a part of the "washing-venture") had to get his hands inside the rim to clean it.

This was after the car had been dried....

I mean....if it's not what they do (none of the other cars ever had the inside of the rims cleaned)......why should it be expected? [shakehead]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

you stay in east? there's a Caltex one along East Coast Road also for $6.. Snow Wash smile.gif

 

- Standard is pretty consistent for this since it's run by Caltex (in a way)

 

And a BP one further down (near Junction of Bedok South Ave 1 and East Coast Road) for $5 (run by this Malay family) - they had some loyalty thing going on sometime back... give you a card, and every time you wash, they stamped it.. you get a free wash after 5th or 6th one... they have their own version of Snow Wash.

 

- Standard varies on number of cars in the queue I feel... less cars, more thorough.. shakehead.gif

Edited by Mojoe
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about to go for Shell's Rainbow Car wash (in no way affiliated to me, rainbowsix) but upon reading the recycling part, kana turned off. No wonder the catalogue proclaims proudly that "... you will be glad that Shell recycles 80% of the water for environment conservation..." or something like that. [dizzy]

 

My friend used to go JB for car wash, near Holiday Plaza that stretch and he paid RM$6. That was last year so dunno whether the price still the same or has it increased to RM$7.

 

Comparing that to SG's $10, more three times more!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no! Not one of those Mercedes bashing session I seen so often at autospeed forums gonna erupt after u post this I hope! [laugh]

 

Some people think their twenty cent bigger than the bullock cart, u see. (chinese proverb)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The loyalty programme sounds good to me but too bad I dun stay in the East if not I might take advantage of it.

 

Hmmm... that reminds me I have yet to claim that free coffee from Coffeebean, the free bubble tea and the movie ticket, popcorn combo, etc... [laugh]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

yupz thumbsup.gif

 

But I have been cutting down going to these manual washes already... the horror stories are scaring me.. shakehead.gif will go only if I have no time and really have to...

 

otherwise, a quick wipe before going home from office laugh.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wash car is still best DIY. Can feel it everything is alright and carress her body gently with tender loving car. Oops! Hope I wun get censored here! [lipsrsealed]

 

I enjoy cleaning the insides of my car too but all too soon, it gets dirty. [:(]

 

My car sports a thin layer of dirt and I am still procrastinating to get it washed and polished.

 

Yikes! I hate to polish my car. So far, I only done it twice and on both occasions, felt really tired after that. [thumbsdown]

Link to post
Share on other sites

you stay in east? there's a Caltex one along East Coast Road also for $6.. Snow Wash smile.gif

 

- Standard is pretty consistent for this since it's run by Caltex (in a way)

 

And a BP one further down (near Junction of Bedok South Ave 1 and East Coast Road) for $5 (run by this Malay family) - they had some loyalty thing going on sometime back... give you a card, and every time you wash, they stamped it.. you get a free wash after 5th or 6th one... they have their own version of Snow Wash.

 

- Standard varies on number of cars in the queue I feel... less cars, more thorough.. shakehead.gif

 

I'll never go to any Caltex car wash.... the last time went there..... then after that i realised a scratch on my bonnet [shakehead] ... then after much "banging" of table [smash] ... the guy ask to see the scratch.. then when he sees it... he decline all responsibilities!! [rifle][rifle]

 

So after that incident.... I don't want to visit any manual car wash liao!! rather i clean it myself then get myself the risk!! [gossip]

Link to post
Share on other sites

hang ah! the last time i use Caltex manual wash, nothing happened to my car, if not i will kill them man [mad]

 

Hey, didn't know you are also a "Tien Sia" (Fong Yun) fan too [thumbsup] . Me collect since the 1st comic in 1990??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

yup... after hearing from you guys, I have cut down (in fact stopped I think) going to car washes... the $5 I save can chia kopi next time? smile.gif

 

hey... just noticed your avatar... you are a fan of Feng Yun?? I like Bu Jin Yun more... more cool.gif and has a darker side pirate.gif

 

but stopped buying the weekly comics for awhile already... save money unsure.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

me too!! thumbsup.gif

 

but sadly stopped already... but will probably buy the combined one again... I thinks I stopped at 20 plus of the combined book...

 

you saw the Taiwanese serials?? Yucks... that guy who acted as Bu Jin Yun is gross... thumbsdown.gif

 

not cool cool.gif at all and no X-factor pirate.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with the Manual car washes....If you can, DIY, gud exercise and that too for the waxing as well. Yesterday, was on leave, I put 3 layers on the wheels... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

 

Sad thing is today it rained!!! [bigcry][bigcry]

 

Anyway, in our weather, better wax more regularly as the rain is pretty acidic, and dun wanna lose the shine on my babe! [thumbsup]

Link to post
Share on other sites

me just collect but has not been reading for almost a year! accumulating on the shelve. A friend of mine selling comic so i only collect from him every 6 months like 20-30 copies one shot then how to finish! so stop reading also, story also not so interesting compare to early stage [thumbsup]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

wah then still collect? My love affair with Tian Sia started in 93, while in NS... read and bought till I started working... then gradually no time and the story got more and more complicated and messy (they all seem to do in the long run laugh.gif), so decided to stop...

 

but the artwork is cool yah? thumbsup.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

yupz... good exercise... but by the time I wash and polish my car, my perspiration will get mixed with the Autoglym sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif... not sure whether have any adverse chemical reaction laugh.giflaugh.gif

 

it's also acidic right? shakehead.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Onli a few drops....so negligible!!! [sweatdrop]

 

Of cos, u dun drip all over rt??? [jawdrop]

 

Have a towel handy if that's the case, not for the car, for u!!! [laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...