Humming Noise

Ben123

Neutral Newbie

Folks,

I need some advice here. Noticed lately my car has a humming noise when driving. Noise increases as speed increases and is loudest at 80 km/hr. Beyond 80km/h, the noise reduces again. Not sure if it is resonance at work or due to tire contact. Mine is a 3 yr old car. Does anyone have such a problem before?

We all know one way to save on fuel is to minimize the use of air-con. With the compressor running, does it make any difference if I increase the fan speed? How abt adjusting the temperature knob? Is there any fuel consumption (does the compressor cut in and out?) if I set the temp at the coldest versus setting at mid-range.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

one qn,

if humming is due to wheel bearing, isn't the sound gonna be continuous? I mean at every speed?

Why does the sound go off after 80km/h?

[confused]

Quite sure it is worn wheel bearing. I think the louder road & wind noise, when travelling above 80km/h, may have give you the impression that the humming noise is reduced. Have it checked and replaced asap, before more damages are done.

double confirm if humming is cyclic... if yes, then likely like what the rest said is wheel bearings...

for air-con, the blower fan is electric driven, it should be less straining on the motor as compared to air-con compressor, so, higher fan setting not so hard on motor thus FC, colder temp setting harder on motor, thus higher FC...

not conculsive tho... [gossip]

[sunny][sunny]

Neutral Newbie

I had an encounter once where the humming sound was a result from the engine not having enough oil.

Another time was when the water pump was in its final years of life.

water pump failure is more of a grinding sound.

best way to tell is to drive it. a forum diagnosis is usually onli worth wat one is paying for....nothing tongue.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

if ball bearing not changed, what could be the "other" damages done?

=========================

I once tried to delay the wheel bearing change as I was very busy during that time.

One day my wheel jammed stuck in the middle of the road.. It locked & couldn't move.

I was able to move it a very short distance after the bearing cooled down. Brought it to a workshop nearby the next day. the roller bearing was jammed stuck to the shaft. took a very long time to remove & found all the rollers inside crushed/broken.

I never delay changing my wheel bearings anymore. Imagine this happening to me in MY. Costs will be several times more to tow car etc,etc.

Whenever I hear the "Wong wong wong" sound, I immediately have my bearings checked by my mechanic. No delays.

Sometimes you can check when doing "on wheel" balancing too. Very easy to hear it then.

Neutral Newbie
Folks,

I need some advice here. Noticed lately my car has a humming noise when driving. Noise increases as speed increases and is loudest at 80 km/hr. Beyond 80km/h, the noise reduces again. Not sure if it is resonance at work or due to tire contact. Mine is a 3 yr old car. Does anyone have such a problem before?

We all know one way to save on fuel is to minimize the use of air-con. With the compressor running, does it make any difference if I increase the fan speed? How abt adjusting the temperature knob? Is there any fuel consumption (does the compressor cut in and out?) if I set the temp at the coldest versus setting at mid-range.

Thanks

Had the same problem before ... service centre told me it's bearing ... don't be too sure about what people say !!!!

I had my tyres changed and the sound was "history" .... if your tyres are already 3 years old also ... time to change or send to tyre shop to check.

you'll know it when u hear it. the water pump failure got a hollow grinding sound. wheel bearing failure is like a low-frequency roar.

↡ Advertisement