Excessive Carbon Buildup

Elfenstar

Just spoke to my mom today and found out that her 1.2 Opel Corsa with easytronic was in the workshop for failing to start. Apparantly there was excessive carbon buildup. This is the 3rd time this problem has come up.

I'm not too sure if the buildup was in the engine or in the cat as the same warning light alerts us to the problem, with it either blinking or just staying on depending on the problem (it has done both).

Now my mom always pumps 95 octane shell (min 91) and according to the mech, its not the first time this has happenned with shell fuels.

Has this happenned to anyone else? If so what fuel were you running on, and what make and model is your car?

I've asked my mom to pump either BP or Mobil as i had no issues with both these fuels on my previous car (megane). Any other advice would be most appreciated too. Btw, I can't do any checking myself as I'm currently in aust while my mom is in singapore

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Well, i do hear that auto-rx is quite good in removing carbon deposits and stuffs, but i am not sure if it can remove the deposits you mentioned. [blush]

Or maybe you wanna run redline SI system cleaner or F2-21 as addictive to the fuel pumped? They are said to give cleaner combustion and clear carbon deposits. [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

Hi there,

you could always consider getting the car de-carbonise by paying a little more..

Cheers.

Thanks all for the replies.

I think the agent did the carbon removal, but i'm wondering if its the fuel, the car, or the driving thats the problem. Other people that drive similar to my mom in other cars havent had this problem before.

Just thought of something... i know that subaru aust has a carbon clearing spray which they use at every servicing on their boxer engines as i heard they have a bit of a carbon problem due to engine design. Do you know where i can get something like that in singapore?

most likely should be the car problem. dont think it should link much to driving habits. although it will accumulate carbon. but dont tink so serious.

yup, that should stop/slow it down, but how i'm going to get my mom to choose the right heatrange... well thats a whole problem in itself. I don't even think she knows what a sparkplug is....

Neutral Newbie

u do it for her la....do it at stationary oso can..neutral rev to redline lo..i always do that occassioanlly...but make sure the engine is preperly heated up first....

Cannot... I'm all the way in aust... and shes back home in sg... thats why I'm asking for advice as i cannot physically help her...

Neutral Newbie

jus ask her to step on accerlator and seee prm reach till 6000 lo....

the type of petrol she pumped is not the problem ba......

Just spoke to my mom today and found out that her 1.2 Opel Corsa with easytronic was in the workshop for failing to start. Apparantly there was excessive carbon buildup. This is the 3rd time this problem has come up.

I'm not too sure if the buildup was in the engine or in the cat as the same warning light alerts us to the problem, with it either blinking or just staying on depending on the problem (it has done both).

Now my mom always pumps 95 octane shell (min 91) and according to the mech, its not the first time this has happenned with shell fuels.

Has this happenned to anyone else? If so what fuel were you running on, and what make and model is your car?

I've asked my mom to pump either BP or Mobil as i had no issues with both these fuels on my previous car (megane). Any other advice would be most appreciated too. Btw, I can't do any checking myself as I'm currently in aust while my mom is in singapore

too much slow city driving and idling will cause carbon to build up as the engine is running rich, so best is to do the 'Italian Tune-up' once in a while to clear off the carbon in the engine nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

Why don't u tell her to go to her mechanic & tell him the problem. She can also ask him if a hotter plug might help.

He wud b in a better position to test & diagnose & suggest a remedy. If he decides to try a hotter plug, he can go ONLY 1 RANGE HOTTER, NO MORE.

I don't advise reving the engine in neutral as it will cause damage to the engine. Reving to redline, in a low gear, for a few seconds while moving is better.

Maybe u can send her an email telling the mech the problem & possible soloutions & she can print it out & show to the mech.

Chances the engine is running on the rich side, the high percentage carbon monoxide might have reduce the cat's "purification" ability. Get your mech to check the exhaust before and after the cat to compare the CO & HC reading

↡ Advertisement