Bigger rims equals better handling?

Felipe

i wonder y change then realise it..tot very siao car until tire size up so much also dun noe.

anyway look swee mai mia ok la..in sg only can swee nia cant chao much..just dun diference by too much when ur speed meter really get affeected,u kana or kong also dun noe y

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

You are rite. Not forgetting oversize rims mean additional upsprung weight, means also bad FC and additional strain/stress on your driveshaft.

bro bigger rim if maintain same weight and tyre size,i dun tink affect FC much rite?if due to wrong size and due to pick up as contact is more and reduce pickup speed,then it should affect fc alot?clarify?bigger rim affect pick up too if i not wrong..

Neutral Newbie

If same weight, of coz no difference. But then how close can we get? If stock is 15 inch rims, its really hard to get a lets say...a 18inch rims to weight just as much as the stock 15". I'm not saying it is immpossible, but how close can u get?

Some extremes, actually swapped their stock 16 inches to 20s!..some even 2pcs rims...doH!

Yr are right, bigger rims means slower move off. As said...ai swee mai mia ma. We can't have the best of both worlds.

doesnt the tire also contribute significantly to unsprung weight? So a lower profile tower weighs less than a larger profile one given the differences in rubber? So a larger rim with lower profiles and a smaller rim with larger profile. I think its possible to spend a bit more to get upgrade and yet not lose performance in pick up? [gossip]

First ask what kind of tyres u need to improve the handling, then look for the suitable rim to house the tyres.

maybe an old topic here but i cant quite find it. anyway, although bigger wheels have more rubber contact, but then the weight also increases and we all know extra weight hurts handling too. apart from the getting lighter rims alternative, do bigger wheels really improve handling? from my own experience, bigger wheels def improves road feel...but turn in is slower and i really cant feel the car handling is better, may be due to the add on weight. any opinions?

Neutral Newbie

It doesn't make much of a difference if you're gonna upgrade juz an inch like from 14" to 15". Of coz, u might like to look for forge rims if your concern is the additional weight.

Neutral Newbie

there is difference but not much. The scenario i have put up is for people who upgrades at least 2" and above.

licks!

hmm..then i think my explanation to my friend is correct liao..ya up 2 size sure see alot difference...for upsizing 1 i think only weight and tyre size (if wrong) will cause v big diference..thanks for clarifying my doubts