• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
879 replies to this topic | 658 praises

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Wah bro.. car just registered u still sigh ah?

If I not wrong you purchased it less than a month ago. Many people wait till neck long the car still haven't reach lor

Yeah I know... paiseh lar... hahaha... I'm the impatient kind lor...  [:p]

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

Alfc
  • Alfc
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Will post when I get it lor...

But do note that the car doesn't come with fog lamps, front or back contrary to what you see on the specs sheet or the brochures. Also no electronic parking brake - it's a foot parking brake. And rear windows for both trims not auto up/down function. No head lamp washers for top trim. No low beam for the front lights cos of the day-time running lights. But there are static bending lights for both trims. Just in case you miss these when comparing with other models.

Thanks for the comparison. Fogs lamp are not critical and since there is DRL at the same spot, it still looks good from cosmetic angle. On the low beam part, you mean no marker lamp lights right? Cannot imagine a car with no low beam and only DRL at night.

Rest of specs I can accept except wish they had the sunshades for rear windows and a bigger display screen for the headunit. 

Edited by Alfc, 05 April 2016 - 11:33 AM.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:23 PM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Yes no marker lamps. Just the day time running lights. Yes the sunshades would have been good. But I guess can't have everything lar...

Going to collect the car in an hour's time.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:36 PM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Got the car... it's like driving a computer...  [dizzy] IMG-20160406-WA0005.jpg

The car manual is one inch thick. And no, it's entirely in English. And comes with a companion guide for added features...

Got a bonus or so my SE claims.... I have a 7" multimedia system as opposed to the 4.3" seen in the showroom and test drive models... he says he ordered it in for me specially cos of my dad... and it costs $1200... when the car starts, it shows the Hyundai logo splash screen. No idea what brand except that it is factory fitted from Korea. Comes with navigation and the rest of the stuff you expect. No time to explore yet... looks complicated... no manual... the car manual so thick but doesn't have anything on this screen... sianzzzz.... I have to really click through everything... sad... not much time...

Will post here when I have some time to go through the car...

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

Alfc
  • Alfc
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Congrats! Enjoy your new car. Heard the 7" screen is a standard from now in sunroof models?

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

KoreanLover
  • Premium member
    KoreanLover
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Congrats !! Do post some photos of the interior !!
A good teacher teach from the heart, not from the books.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Congrats! Enjoy your new car. Heard the 7" screen is a standard from now in sunroof models?

Yup I think so... but my SE says it's specially for me... anyway wait for any bros who collected their sunroof Sonata to check in here to see if it is so or not.

Congrats !! Do post some photos of the interior !!

Will do so... but first I need to read the manual... it's more than one inch thick.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

Runforyourlife
  • Premium member
    Runforyourlife
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Sonata recently created quite a stir.

cannot attach fb vid. go check out roads.sg

but think recent version should not be affected.

need to remove the xxx.

https://www.facexxxb...67695176596217/

Edited by Runforyourlife, 07 April 2016 - 09:18 AM.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:36 AM

Kennethoka
  • Premium member
    Kennethoka
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

what is OMV been regiestered?

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

what is OMV been regiestered?

$23K plus. My ARF is $25K plus.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

Kennethoka
  • Premium member
    Kennethoka
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

cool. I excited to see the interior picture and review from you.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

Djcoolmax
  • Premium member
    Djcoolmax
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Sonata owners.. pls take note.

http://gearheads.org...ation-problems/

http://www.techtimes...ind-out-why.htm

http://legacy.wfaa.c...08/18/14048380/

=============
The triple-J.
=============

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:47 AM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I haven't had time to really take photos yet. Will do so to share about the 7 inch screen later.

But some interesting things which I think are shared on all models of Hyundai:

1) The one-touch signal control can be adjusted. You can choose between 3, 5 or 7 blinks. I chose 7.

2) The smart trunk function must be enabled inside the trip computer.

3) Auto-locking of doors when driving off can be adjusted too. You can have it lock when your car exceeds 9 km/h or when you shift your gear selector to N or D.

4) You can switch off the headlamp delay function. Stop engine and the Headlamps and rear lamps stay on for a while. Or choose to have them shut down immediately when the engine is cut.

5) Electric chair retraction distance can be adjusted. Either short or long. This helps those with longer legs can get out more easily.

6) The multimedia system can playback up to 720p videos. I downloaded some random music videos from YouTube and they play back just fine. Will try 1080p. I think the screen resolution is quite low. But playback is pretty clear. Not the sharpest cos the screen is also not the clear glossy type but matte.

7) Sound system is pretty fantastic. I'm not an audiophile. But music files from YouTube at 128kbps sound pretty fantastic. Deep bass, clear vocals, and can hear the more gentle instruments. For me, the sound is pretty brilliant.

8) The speedometer lighting dims and brightens according to the ambient light. When I enter a tunnel (short underpass at Holland/Farrer), the meters will glow brighter and then dim down when I emerge into the open.

9) Blind spot detection is pretty useful. The car is really quite wide and long, so it helps a lot.

10) The front head rests can be adjusted up and down and also forwards. Totally brilliant. I don't have to buy a neck roll to cushion my neck anymore.

11) Touch screen is rather annoying to use. It's not capacitive. So must use nails to tap and scroll. And cos it's not standard equipment, I have no manuals, just fiddling around with it. The most annoying aspect is when I scroll through my root folder of the USB drive, always end up accidentally selecting the wrong folder to playback.

12) The navigation programme is pretty good. Very detailed. Very nice guiding display interface. Lots of info but clearly laid out and not cluttered. I haven't really used it for navigation yet. The maps seem to be direct from LTA. No idea how that happens.

13) The in-car camera is Dabonda Race. Korean. Very simple camera. Just 720p, front only. Takes SD card up to 32 GB. The usual modes of recording. No wifi mode. Must plug out the memory card and view using some proprietary software you install on your computer.

That's all for now. Will update again.

And yes, solar film for Komoco Motors is complimentary but you have to bring the car to do the installation yourself.

Edited by teomingern, 08 April 2016 - 10:49 AM.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Kennethoka
  • Premium member
    Kennethoka
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

can i check the head ight is it bi-xeon? high beam and low beam coming from same lamp?

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

can i check the head ight is it bi-xeon? high beam and low beam coming from same lamp?

Low beam = normal main beam lights for night driving right?

High beam = the one you flash at annoying drivers or pedestrians?

If yes to both, then yes, it's bi-xenon. Both are white and come from the same lamp.

There are no parking lights or marker lights. The ones that come on at the first click of the signal selector. The function is taken over by the DRL. As is with the fog lamps.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

Kennethoka
  • Premium member
    Kennethoka
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Thanks for answering me.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

There have been recalls... old news...

http://blog.caranddr...rottle-problem/

http://money.cnn.com...-sonata-recall/

It's a global problem...

http://mashable.com/...l/#S.1C8uLwZ8qj

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:13 PM

Alfc
  • Alfc
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Thanks Teo for sharing. Very useful info. Price up $1k now due to COE.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

teomingern
  • Premium member
    teomingern
    5th Gear
    Author Image

My little review of the Hyundai Sonata VIII (Sunroof trim)

Sophisticated and well-built, classy and loaded with features*

Cost Data

List price - $123,999

Discounts - $2000 overtrade + $1000 loyalty discount

Nett price - $120,999

Freebies - Dabonda Race in-car camera, solar film

OMV - $23K+

ARF - $25K+

COE - $46K+

Review

This is my second Hyundai. My first was the Elantra in 2001 in manual transmission. In between, I owned a manual Subaru Impreza for 9 years before trading that in for the Sonata VIII sunroof trim. This car has been nothing short of a revelation in terms of its build quality and feature set as compared to the Elantra 14 years ago. It is a whole level up and its quality in every area is comparable and even exceeds the Japanese marquees and some Continental ones as well.

Build quality. Excellent quality inside and outside. Body panels gaps and door gaps are narrow and very even. The sheet metal is very well constructed, no ugly and dangerous rough exposed edges, all covered with plastic wraparounds or rubber gaskets. The interior is very well appointed, the factory-fitted leather seats are very well stitched while the surfaces at the top are all soft touch material with lower surfaces in harder more durable plastic. Every switch, knob and lever is well-damped, solid without a creak or wobble as you actuate them. Every lid and cover is spring loaded and damped. Oozes class and feels as expensive as cars that cost twice as much. The interior colour matches are done well, charcoal grey, black and silver trim gives the insides a muted, classy understated elegance. It feels expensive but doesn’t shout at you. Sound insulation is superb, NVH levels among the best in class. You feel cocooned in the car, driver or passenger and it adds to the classy elegance.

Ride quality. Superb I would say for a car this long and wide and shod with 18”/235/45 tires. The low profile means that you feel the road surfaces imperfections. But these are information and not jarring thumps that annoy you. The muted transmission of the road surfaces aids in your reading of the road condition. Damping is pretty good and shock return is quick and assured and stable. Whether high speed or low speeds, running over imperfections or speed regulator strips, the ride is always assured and never brittle. Rides over regular humps is a pleasurable experience while the hard rubber bumps are absorbed easily though the stiffer than usual suspension set up is quite exposed here.

Handling. The car handles superbly for a car this size. No wallowing or wobbling. Cornering at high speeds is a pleasure as the car feels very planted and body roll is minimal. Sudden direction changes are handled with aplomb and passengers feel comfortably cosseted regardless. Driving up HDB MSCPs is a breeze except that more care needs to taken not to clip a corner due to the exceptionally wide body and large rims.

Design. The car is very well designed. Nothing is superfluous, interior layout is well thought out, all switches and buttons and levers fall easily to hand. The harmonious dash design and layout soothes the driver and makes the car a pleasure to be. The exterior’s clear clean lines and chrome belt strip enhances the big car feel. Choice of colours, lines, textures and contours inside and outside makes the car feel more expensive than it actually is.

Engine. The engine feels very refined, with a creamy ultra smooth acceleration. Power and torque are quite good. Due to the superb insulation, the car doesn’t feel like it’s moving very fast but it does move quickly. The quiet, vibration free engine means that the car wafts along, like a limo, rather than a noisy sports sedan. So it’s very executive and elegant on the move as the engine doesn’t feel strained. I’ve been driving quite conservatively so far.

Fuel Consumption. I’ve only clocked 120 km on the meter. Average fuel consumption is 10.7 km/L. Not good definitely. I expect that the fuel consumption will improve after the 1000 km servicing point. I expect the car to clock between 11 – 12 km/L. Driving pattern is 50% highway and 50% urban, usually off peak for most of the mileage.

What I Like

All the features that the car sports! The car is loaded to the gills with features. Some are more obscure but are among the most useful ones that professional reviewers don’t get.

1) Panoramic sunroof. This is a bonus. I don’t need it, but it comes with the car, so what the heck! Only thing is that a solid metal roof would probably result in better sound insulation.

2) Electric seats with 2 memory slots. This is very useful. Also a bonus. The electric lumbar support is really superb as it means very good lower back support. The front seats also come with head rests that can be adjusted up and down as well as forwards to cradle your head at the neck area. This means that you fit snugly onto the seat with the back of the seat with headrest conforming to the natural S contour of your back. This means I don’t have to buy neck bolsters for my car anymore!

3) Safety features. Blind spot detection. ABS, EBD, vehicle stability management, traction control and 6 airbags. Superb list of safety features. Includes a rear view camera with parking guidelines.

4) Bi-xenon headlamps. LED DRL. Static bending cornering lamps. The last item works well and it’s especially obvious and helpful in dark corners.

5) Full adjustable electronic feature set. This includes choosing from 3, 5 or 7 blinks for the one-touch signal function. Also the distance the driver’s seat retracts to increase the ease of getting out when the door is opened can be adjusted to long or short. When the door auto lock also can be adjusted, when the gear selector is shifted to N or D or when the car exceeds 9 km/hr. The front and rear lights can be adjusted to stay on after the car is locked to illuminate your path or they can cut off once the engine is cut.

6) The windows are quite heavily tinted already. This kind of tint doesn’t fade as easily as solar film. So this is a plus point for me. But the glass is not the anti-UV type, so still have to install solar film that rejects UV.

7) Seat ventilation. This is really a convenience. Works well, and feels good. Cools your butt and back.

8) 7” multimedia screen and entertainment system. This was a bonus. It was not offered on the display model or test drive car. My SE says he specially ordered for me. I have no idea if it is so but it is heaven-sent. The systems has AUX, USB, iPod, Radio, DVD, Navigation all built-in. It’s not a capacitive touch-screen unfortunately, it’s resisitive which means that you have to use your nails to register an input. But the sound quality is simply superb. I’m only playing back 128 kbps mp3 files and the music is very clear, instruments separation and clarity is very good, and there’s a good thumping bass. Want more bass? Use the EQ and boost and feel the car rock! Navigation software is very very nice. Clear and info rich without being cluttered, the simulation mode is very clear too. I have yet to use the navigation itself and so I don’t know how quick the recalculation of route is. The maps are from LTA apparently. The interface is quite simple to use, which also means some limits to things like files are arranged according to file names only. All other meta data are not used apparently. As this is not standard issue (the 4.3 inch colour screen is the standard for European models, and that’s the car manual I’m given), so there’s no write-up anywhere. The unit is the original Korean Hyundai unit but in English and you can choose other languages. It displays Chinese characters just fine, both the traditional and the simplified. I guess it would do Korean and Japanese script just as easily. The steering controls can’t switch you between folders, it just allows you to move up and down between files within the same folder. You have to use the touch screen to do so and the touch screen doesn’t always behave itself, which is typical of resistive touch screens if you have used them on phones or tablets before. The unit also plays back 720p video clips that I downloaded from YouTube. Playback is very smooth and clear. But the image isn’t so sharp cos the screen resolution can’t be all that high. Probably 1024 x 768 or about there. I haven’t tested 1080p yet but I will try over the weekend and feedback. Radio reception is superb. Very clear, even when in the MSCP. It’s all preset so I tried all FM stations and all were equally clear. The car uses a glass antenna, which may explain why the reception is good. Bluetooth connectivity with my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is simple, fast and stable. I synced 1500+ contacts in under 2 min.

9) Interior lighting. All white lights, very bright and clear.

10) Blind spot detection. Very useful, and works very well. Can be a bit annoying as you wait to switch lanes cos the alarm keeps beeping as the cars zip past your car. The detection zone is pretty large. And it doesn’t detect motorcycles as well as cars.

11) Multi-function steering wheel. This is a very useful feature. Audio controls and cruise control at your finger tips. I really like this cos I tend to vary the volume of the music playing back depending on the type of music playing back. Also not all music files were encoded at the same volume levels, so the variation can result in a booming volume for some pieces.

12) Electrochromic rear view mirror. Really very good! Now all the irritating drivers who drive with high beam on or with out of position main beam lights don’t disturb me anymore.

13) The sound of the horn. Sounds gentle and pleasant, not ‘like want to fight’ kind of sound. I like to tap the horn lightly to warn other drivers sometimes to get their attention.

14) The gauge cluster has an ambient light sensor just like a smart phone. The cluster will dim when entering a tunnel, or even an underpass and then brighten up when emerging into the open. A very thoughtful feature.

15) Smart trunk feature. Really very useful when your hands are full. And what’s even better is that when the boot lid pops open, it comes up halfway so that you can easily push the lid up and open completely without having to use your hands. Very thoughtful design as well.

16) ISOFIX anchor points for outboard rear seats. Very convenient and not always found in this class of cars.

17) Full size spare tire with the same sports rim as the four wheels of the car. This is a very pleasant surprise.

What I Do Not Like

1) No fog lamps at all, no front and no rear. DRL takes over the function of fog lamps and parking lights. A bit annoying. There is a red lamp at the rear bumper lip, but it’s not connected on the test drive car. I haven’t tested my own car, but there is a rear fog lamp switch on my column switch. Interesting thing is that the manual says to switch down to activate rear fog lamp. But for my column switch, it’s spring loaded and springs back to the off position. No idea what Komoco Motors management is thinking of.

2) No electronic parking brake and auto hold function. The car uses a foot brake. No idea why but it’s due to costs according to my SE. I tried the auto hold function on the KIA Optima test drive car and it’s really super convenient.

3) The car behaves like a nanny… beeps at everything I do or don’t do… never release footbrake, it beeps, reverse sensors, front sensors beep, blind spot detection beeps, and I don’t know what else.

4) Lousy in-car camera, only front channel. Ok, it’s free but since Komoco refuse to fit anything I buy, I’m kind of stuck with this. No wifi link-up, so must take out the mSD card to playback on my PC which must be installed with another piece of software. No GUI, so there’s practically nothing to tweak. Takes only up to a max 32 GB card. And there’s always the irritating greeting to drive safely when the car engine starts. Dabonda branded. Race model. Cylindrical shape, hidden behind the rear view mirror.

5) No access to boot from inside the car. When the rear seat arm rest is folded down, the partition doesn’t have a door that can be opened to access items in the boot. This feature is available in other versions in other parts of the world. This is of course a very minor quibble.

6) No one-touch power up and down function for the rear windows. You have to hold down or hold up the button to open or close the window. This is quite silly. It doesn’t cost much to have it all round. The i40 in the showroom has all around one-touch power up and down windows.

That's all folks... pictures coming up soon...

*This is the full version. The review page on Sg Car Mart doesn't allow me to post more than 2400 characters per section.

Edited by teomingern, 08 April 2016 - 05:25 PM.

Alfc, KoreanLover, Aukang, Blackyv and Magfocus praised this

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

Wattokkingu
  • Wattokkingu
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

teomingern, wanted to up u but system dun allow...u shd be a part time car reviewer.

Back to Korean Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Hyundai Sonata VIII

Hyundai Sonata VIII  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Whitevios  |  Clutched

A switch to 'huge' sedan

Test driven, walk around it. price ok? Sign at the dotted line. just booked the all new sonata on sunday. price was attractive. however the delivery of my sonata will have see if i can secure the COE successfully.

Hyundai Sonata VIII

Hyundai Sonata VIII  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Quistation  |  1st Gear

New Sonata is quite surprising

The new Hyundai Sonata is in many ways a really surprising car. Its easy to get sucked into thinking that its just a taxi, but in many ways the new sonata is a very different car. It looks handsome. Its really well equipped too, lots of g... » Read More

Related New Cars search on sgCarMart.com : Hyundai Sonata VIII

Quick Reply

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)