P and handbrake

Danieltan07

Neutral Newbie

I thought is good practice to use Handbrake even when car's stationary. As long as car's on a slope, I think even with P engaged, it will still roll...

I think even with P engaged, it will still roll...

don't think so coz P will lock the transmission. the car will roll back a little bit until the transmission is locked then it'll stop [gossip]

Edited by En0203

I thought is good practice to use Handbrake even when car's stationary. As long as car's on a slope, I think even with P engaged, it will still roll...

I think the type of car, the weight and maybe the gradient of slope also play am important part.

Anyway, like you said, it's good practice to use both Hand/Footbrake with the P, slope or no slope [thumbsup]

Nope the car wun roll anymore no matter how steep the gradient is if it's in P even w/o the handbrake. Nw I'm wondering if on a steep gradient, I did not engage handbrake & juz based on locking the Transmission 'p' alone, will it cause stress to the gearbox? [gossip]

If you just lock the transmission with P alone on a steep slope, you'll find it difficult to shift out P when you want to move on. 'cos you have the whole weight of the car on the transmission lock. That's why it is recommended that for parking on steep slopes, engage your handbrake 1st, make sure the car is stationary, then engage P. This will shift some of the weight away from the transmission lock.

Neutral Newbie

When my ride is stationary..its either my foot brake is engaged or my hand brake is engaged..just in case...

(edited)

Not sure if this was discussed before, but since I'm doing it wrongly all this while, might as well share here with everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/ai.z.ji.94/videos/907269645959266/

Sorry the content is in Chinese, but in essence :

To prolong the life of the auto transmission, handbrake first, off engine, then gear to 'P', not just on slope.

Edited by Kingkong

It's the same as some people after visit toilet wouldn't wash hand even she the tap is there... Something will LS, maybe not.. but the chances of LS is higher especially after straightaway eat KFC with bare hands..

Turbocharged

I usually shift to Park, then pull handbrake, then release foot brake. I tried using Park only, but I didn't like how the car would roll back a bit before bouncing forward.

Turbocharged

I think even with P engaged, it will still roll...

don't think so coz P will lock the transmission. the car will roll back a little bit until the transmission is locked then it'll stop gossip.gif

But if steep slope the P not enough.... also place a lot of stress on the transmission, when the parking brake is actually designed to hold a car still.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1