Clutch

Ferrariz

Neutral Newbie

how long need to change the clutch?

how do i know if its worn out? keep slipping? how to know what is slipping?

how much usually it cost to change clutch? average price?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Biting point higher than before. When releasing clutch acceleration is not constant and lethargic.

Your driving habit will determine when you have to change your clutch.

about every 80k for a clutch change.

you experiencing RPM climbing faster than your speed compare to before?

Went NTU today huh [sly][sly][sly]

Edited by Imuya

about every 80k for a clutch change.

you experiencing RPM climbing faster than your speed compare to before?

yes.. always.. getz stock clutch cmi.. [shakehead]

Neutral Newbie

When you burn your clutch, its really obvious and you'll know something is very wrong. 1st you'll see lots of white smoke flooding into the vehicles cabin as well as from the hood. The smoke comes from the burnt clutch in your transmission block.

It'll stink really bad, everyone around you will know something's wrong.

When you're in gear, your rev increase but you're not moving or you you're moving very slowly. When you push your rev up you see white smoke.

The normal clutch consist of the pressure plate and the clutch disk. You can opt to go with a stiff pressure plate, you'll feel this when driving. Your clutch paddle will be stiffer. For your clutch disk, you have the options of full face (full round disk) 6 puck (6 finger plate) 4 puck (4 fingers) or 3 puck(3 fingers). The less puck the more race application, and the harsher the clutch engagement. These will bite very well, but your car will jerk hard no matter how you drive. For low hp street driving, I suggest you go with a race full face clutch, and a semi race pressure plate. I love how mine feels with this setup.

Also, while you are doing a clutch job, you should also change your flywheel to a light weight one, one of the best thing I did. Dont go too light, not less than 10lb or driving will take some getting used to. I lighter flywheel will allow you to rev up faster, but it also means your rev drops faster too. You get a much more responsive throttle, but you lose the ability to engine brake effectively. This becomes more obvious the lighter you go. There's some getting used to, like you got to rev alittle higher when you get off the light, rev even higher when on a slope ...... nothing a few hours driving wont fix.

Change to a good transmission fluid.

Get a short shifter and polyutherine shifter bushings.

I'm sure you'll love it!

[thumbsup]

For low hp street driving, I suggest you go with a race full face clutch, and a semi race pressure plate. I love how mine feels with this setup.
now i noe why few weeks ago i saw a 3-door 1.6L Getz sprint very fast from a stop at traffic light junction. But runs outa breath when come to upper end of performance.[:p] Maybe his next project will be a TC. [sly] Edited by Normal_aspirated

when u experience got rev but no speed... when engine is idling or when u stationary.. ur engine will stink... greater extent will be white smoke... "smoking" engine.. [laugh][laugh]

do maintain the clutch de condition good.. if not u will be burning fuel for nothing... [:)]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Full face race clutch plates are usually not for high hp applications. Probably good up to 250hp. Stock tranny should be able to handle 250.

If you're making in excess of 350hp, then you gotta drive conservatively. Have a friend broke 2nd gear on his super charged S2K tunned to slightly above 350hp @ wheel. Thats from hard launch shifting.

The strength of your tranny depends on what your car's stock power. Jap cars usually have parts rated to handle power slightly more than stock. US and European domestic cars usually have alot stronger parts.

If you're making so much power that you run the risk of breaking gears, its also a good idea to get beefier axals and stiffer motor mount bushings as well.

[thumbsup]

Edited by BlueSi

Neutral Newbie

In that case gotta becareful on launch yeah. Stock clutches are also capable of breaking gearboxes. Depends on driver's habit. [sweatdrop][nod]

Broke 2nd gear ?

For that kinda power to weight ratio he's probably launching from 2nd gear. [sly]

Neutral Newbie

hahahah.. then i think i need to change liao

got white smoke coming out of my hood when idling [dizzy]

at first i thot its because of raining ..the water turn to steam or something [:p]

Neutral Newbie

One simple way to test whether the clutch plate required to change is that pull your handbrake up. Fully depress your clutch. Then you engage to third gear and hold it there. Step on the acc. pedal until about 2.5K to 3K rpm. Then you slowly release the clutch pedal to the bitting point. If the engine immediately cut-off, your clucth plate is still useable. If not, better to have a check with your workshop..

hmm, the white smoke got smell?

If it's odourless then it probably is steam ma

Cos i remember your bonnet ain't exactly stock [rolleyes]

Plus these few days raining....

wah... if rain touch ur hood have smoke then jialat liao.. means ur coolant something wrong ar.. or your car powered by steam engine??? [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] lol.. just joking.. anyway, do take care of the clutch.. can affect FC alot...

mine is lorry, clutch more heavy duty... so for changing of clutch de period, u must ask other bros that hua chia.. i can tell u consequences of worn out clutch only..

enjoy ur ride.. [:)][:)]

Neutral Newbie

The S2k had a race clutch off course! the stock one wont last a day with that kinda power (Honda clutch [hur] )

And yeah, 1st gear wasn't floored (will just burn rubber), 2nd got it all and died

[thumbsup]

Does this mean I have to change my clutch???

When I changing gear..Usually changing from 2 to 3..when change to gear 3 Already!! The power still feel like still at gear 2..but after a while it will sudden outbust power(My car no tubro hor)....as if it took some ttime for the fuel to flow in...Or is it the fuel injector problem.

Neutral Newbie

Nothing to do with Injectors or which fueling components you think it is.

A common way of spotting worn out clutch depending on driver's habit is when you go from gear 1 to 2 as you normally would, with gear 2 fully engaged, as you depress the accelerator, RPM increases a little prior dropping down and continue to rise.

basic qn:

when the last time u serviced ur car? what engine oil you used?

some oil may give you negative boost and tat can cause lagging.

↡ Advertisement