Should punishments(fines, jail or driving bans) for drivers who drive recklessly or blatantly flout traffic rules increased?

Biglittlebean

Should punishments(fines, jail or driving bans) for drivers who drive recklessly or blatantly flout traffic rules increased?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yea! I totally agreed. Our current penalties are too light to serve as an deterrent.
    • I think our current penalties for traffic offenders are just nice. Enough to be a deterrent while not too heavy.
    • The current penalties are slightly too heavy.
    • The current penalties are way too heavy! We should relaxed the penalties to allow drivers to enjoy driving without always thinking of the limits.

Recently, there had been many news of car accidents which was basically caused by reckless driving. Personally, I have seen drivers who drive dangerously like driving through traffic lights which just turned red, stopping suddenly with giving advanced warnings, or just changed lanes abruptly. Is it because our current penalties for flouting traffic rules are too light and is not effective as a deterrent?

↡ Advertisement

I think it's not a problem of punishment but a problem of enforcement. There is a provision for such drivers to be punished under the current system, but how often does one see them being hauled in for such misconduct as compared to say, speeding and tampering of OPC coupons which are both much easier to detect? [:|]

IMHO, I feel that enforcement is there to an extent... but it is more for 'safe' offences like driving on restricted lanes, illegal parking etc where there is less danger of people getting into accidents. However, for reckless and dangerous driving, how much enforcement is done is another question.

TP will tell u that they can't be everywhere all the time to catch all these ...... but they'll definitely be at every other overhead bridge taking photo of you speeding ..... rifle.gif

Hahahaha... yea.

I just kenna one last week... overspeeding by 10km/h. Don;t think I am a reckless driver though. I mean, all of us do speed from time to time, but it's another thing to ignore road manners and drive as if you own the road.

(weird) Driving theories of Singaporeans(copied from somewhere)

1) The car in front is meant to be overtaken.

2) Stickers, spoilers, loud exhaust, bodykit, etc add plenty of horsepower to your car. As a gauge, each sticker adds 5 bhp and the wing adds 20. The bigger the better too.

3) Lowered springs with stock dampers are enough. The harsh ride is due to my springs becos they are sports springs.

(corollary: anything with the word 'sports' add 10 bhp)

4) The more of those fuel magnet I have, the faster my car will be. If I have 100 of them I can outrun a Ferrari.

5) Cheap tires are the best. Expensive tires do not add horsepower to my car anyway.

6) My japanese car is far superior than any other makes because there are more on the road.

7) Brakes are for sissies.

8) No oil change is required if I use "SPORTS" engine oil.

9) Brighter headlights add horsepower to my car too.

10) I own the road.

Honestly, by adding so many penalties and restrictions are not solving the problem.

Get to the root of the problem which is there are just too many cars on our roads.

I know ppl here will flame me for saying this. To reduce the quota of the no. of cars released every month. [:p]

This is what the system is for. To conrol the number of cars on our roads but how come nowadays everywhere is so jammed up?

Look at th recent posts. Problems on parking, accidents etc. all becos of the car population.

Perhaps the problem also has to do with how licenses are issued. It's quite common knowledge that if one is attempting his driving test the 3rd time and up, his license is almost guaranteed coz the testers tend to close one eye. So even the CMI ones get a license eventually.

I think it's not a problem of punishment but a problem of enforcement. There is a provision for such drivers to be punished under the current system, but how often does one see them being hauled in for such misconduct as compared to say, speeding and tampering of OPC coupons which are both much easier to detect? [:|]

I'm with you on this one. People who practice unsafe and inconsiderate (not even reckless) driving habits are barely touched whilst debateable habits such as speeding are the targets, but i guess its coz its more profitable.

Neutral Newbie

they everything also anticipate until keep a super long distance, and jam back very hard unnecessarily when there's still like one to two car length.

I think generally, it's the P-platers who do these. Recently sat in a newly bought car of a friend who got his license just a few weeks ago. He did basically what you mentioned. Only when I sat inside his car then did I realized how much my driving skills has improved since I first got my license. Think when I first got my license last time, also wanted to be safe.

I just kenna one last week... overspeeding by 10km/h. Don;t think I am a reckless driver though. I mean, all of us do speed from time to time, but it's another thing to ignore road manners and drive as if you own the road.

This I agree... driving "over the speed limit", say, on a empty road, is much safer than one "driving fast" (ever if within the legal speed limit) on a congested road.

There are some 2F2F wannabees who switch lanes in and out like nobody business, but I doubt very few are booked. OTOH, some who drive "very safely" on certain stretches of the expressway but kenna camera.

So increasing fines may not be a good solution. Instead, I agree on improving the enforcement part, but with a bit of common sense included. Don't just "catch" for the sake of catching...

↡ Advertisement