Picnic Vs Mazda 5

Coolpica

My dad is considering to change his Altis to a MPV. He isn't comfortable with buying from PI and doesn't want a MPV that's too big in engine capacity. After considering all factors, we have zoomed down to Picnic and Mazda 5. We haven't gone for a test drive yet but have seen both cars. Therefore need inputs from both Picnic and Mazda 5 owners on their rides. Thanks. [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement

If im not wrong, Picnic is the only one still made in japan ?

Or am i wrong? Mazda is still made in Japan, go for it... Mazda... But the price wise, im not too sure... I am only mad currently about Latio now. HAHA..

Both are made in Japan. Just that Picnic has been around for quite a while. Wondering if a facelift or replacement is coming soon.

Neutral Newbie

Mazda is only a 6+1 seater with limited boot sapce & Picnic is a full 7 seater with a huge boot space.

Both are from Japan.

Both are a big fuel drinker.

Mazda 5 in 70k+ price range, as Picnic in 80k+ range.

Well picnic is the most popular here since its toyota, and apek-ish factor.

But M5 does have its charm with sportier looks,good handling and the engine is quite powderful not doubt its noisy.

Diadvantage are, this model not popular,no rear air con.

....But M5 does have its charm with sportier looks,good handling and the engine is quite powderful not doubt its noisy.

Diadvantage are, this model not popular,no rear air con.

No rear aircon is a huge disadvantage for a 7 seater MPV. Those sitting at the back will be really uncomfortable and hot. [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

My dad is considering to change his Altis to a MPV. He isn't comfortable with buying from PI and doesn't want a MPV that's too big in engine capacity. After considering all factors, we have zoomed down to Picnic and Mazda 5. We haven't gone for a test drive yet but have seen both cars. Therefore need inputs from both Picnic and Mazda 5 owners on their rides. Thanks. [flowerface]

Hi. I am driving a Picnic bought last year in October.

No regrets and yesterday went to Choa Chu Kang cemetery with 8 adults. The power is good along PIE to Jalan Bahar and back to Toa Payoh.

Well a bit of high on FC during the jam but once on expressway, the FC is fine. As it had been said, what we enjoy most is the rear air-con. Yesterday was a hot day but with Picnic, its a breeze.

Cheers.

[drivingcar][drivingcar][drivingcar]

No rear aircon is really [shakehead]. My family members are really afraid of heat. Imagine 7 passengers in the car and there's only the front aircons to cool the whole car. [sweatdrop]

The sliding door is definitely a plus when alighting and boarding the car in a tight confined space. Damn, there is no rear aircon.

Travelling average of 70% highway and 30% city driving, I could manage 9.5 to 10 km per liter. One full tank (60L) of Shell 95 could give me about 580 to 610 km.

This depends whether if PIE jammed during the evening peak period. I have to p/up my wife from Jurong and travel along PIE to T. Payoh. I hated most the stretch along PIE when approaching Anak Bukit flyover. Always jammed till Clementi Ave 6 exit to PIE. Thereafter, another one just before Thomson flyover. A routine for me daily (5 days week)along PIE.

Neutral Newbie

After driven Picnic for 3 years, I took the advantage of high scrap value of Picnic and changed to Mazda5 in Nov05. Having own both cars, my inputs are:

1) Handling: Mz5 is a much better handling car compare to Picnic. I always have to slow down during cornering while driving the Picnic as it has the toppling feeling. But for Mz5, cornering a high speed is no problem ( like existing from expressway to a side road at 90km/hr).

2) FC: My driving pattern is the same for the past few years. I stay in East and work in AMK, so traveling along TPE in the morning and evening. Weekend normally is shopping with family in downtown. FC for Picnic is about 8/9 km/litre and Mz5 is about 10/11 km/litre. ( and my family is getting heavier as my 3 kid are growing ! )

3) Look : Picnic is out dated and Mz5 has a more modern look with internal metal trimming and black leather. The internal lights in Mz5 is also more comfortable and will dim off slowing while Picnic internal light is on/off type. While this is not really a major factor, it does make your trip more comfortable. In addition, Mz5 comes with auto wiper, auto headlight and sun roof ( which my kids enjoy a lot, especially when driving along expressway in the evening )

4) Sliding doors: This is the main reason why I bought Mz5. The sliding doors are very easy for small children as well as elderly ( when I need to support my father coming out or going in ).

5) Air-con: This is the only advantage of Picnic. Mz5 air-con is quite weak and it does not have the rear air-con. Of course the rear air con of Picnic may be a reason why the FC is lousy.

Overall, I feel that Mz5 is a much better car as it brings back the fun of driving.

Your dad might consider grabing it now as the price is going up due to the COE price increase. I got my at $82,388 with COE at $12,501/-. Just as I got my ride in October 06, the price went down to $79,888 with COE hovering at $9,000 plus to $11,000 plus.

I have been eyeing the Picnic since 2003. At that time, the price is $120,000 plus and as I could not affort it, I took the 1.5 Corolla then at $74,388.

Got my current Picnic by chance as I was at the Ubi Showroom in Sept 06 to up-grade my 1.5 Corolla to 1.6 Altis. Just ask the saleman on the price of Picnic which was stationed beside the Altis. Signed on the spot when found out the price and with 1 bit COE and collection of vehicle in middle Oct 06.

Just contacted my saleman last week on the BM offer of extra covering of vehicle after warranty period and was informed that the price of Picnic is going up, so the same for all 2000cc model cars.

Was at IMM yesterday and there is a road show for Fiat vehicles. Take a look at the 7 seaters Fiat Panorama and it could not compare to my Picnic in term of boots space and leg rooms space for all 7 adults. Still prefers my Picnic.

btw Fiat Panorama is 1400cc saloon, comes with 5 or 7 seaters at the price of $70,900. Monthly payment of $488/- for 10 years.

[drivingcar][drivingcar][drivingcar]