Astro 1st Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 Been receiving calls lately from chinese speaking national claiming that I've won lucky draw prizes from Disney, TV station, etc. Does anyone experience the same ? The scam was widely reported in the news that I told one of the caller off. Not too sure why the increase in calls of such nature ? ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mzrmazda3 6th Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 Think a couple of Bros here have kena before too in some other threads Hao xiao one according to them and think they'll ask you to deposit some $$$ into an account before you could claim your prize or something like that Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Typhoonz 4th Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 NB... Mine was some Zhong Tian travel agency... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Astro 1st Gear September 15, 2007 Author Share September 15, 2007 The funny part is that they contact the so call winner through HP number instead of land line which I would assume the latter to be obtained from telephone directory. For the former I think the number is through running sequence i.e. 90000001, 900000002,,,, That being the case what is their sunk in cost for overseas call ?? Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Typhoonz 4th Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 All these hao siao one lah... Some more calling from some company we never heard of one... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nutty 4th Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 If you have the time, just play with them. Make them waste overseas phone charges Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Xiao_qiang 1st Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 My sis kanna also.. She almost believed that she won 200K from the stupid scam!! Until me and her BF talk her out of her "dream".. Luckily in time if not she might have transfer 3K for processing fees. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Typhoonz 4th Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 How come got processing fees to claim a prize? Tell them to deduct from the so called prize money lor... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Xiao_qiang 1st Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 That is the thing!!! My sis tell them to do so.. They tell my sis that they are a third party law firm to help the transfer of the money.. Then act like "u want you transfer if not you go talk to the company who is giving you the prize" The "so called" company then explain they hired a law firm to do the transfer due to possible taxes issues. I told my sis Bullsh*t, but she give the "its 200K leh,looks" ..... Until her bf said angrily, "we half half" I loss the money never mind but I want to just show you that it a scam..If true, you take all... She then ok with it, cause heart pain cause BF angry on this... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Typhoonz 4th Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 It's a load of bull lah... Usually if there are some fees involved, they'll auto deduct from the total prize money... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Wanderer Clutched September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 Then they will tell you "cannot..... it's the company's policy" Alot of us tried many ways liao...... and they still call..... haiz Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Typhoonz 4th Gear September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 We cannot prevent them from calling mah... So we just ignore them lor... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vyap Clutched September 15, 2007 Share September 15, 2007 I got a call, +8551111, it is so unusual a 7 digits no starting with 8, not in Singapore! I called Telcos to complain and not to charge for that scam Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mikeyeo Clutched September 16, 2007 Share September 16, 2007 I also received 2 calls on my mobile from this same number +8551111. One was yesterday and the the latest this afternoon. The 1st caller was a lady and 2nd a man. They introduced themselves that they are from Hong Kong and spoke very fast Mandarin. As I used to travel to Hong Kong and China, I could distinguish that their Mandarin is more from China than Hong Kong. I told them that I don't understand what they are talking about and asked them to send me by sms. Once I receive from them, I will report them to our relevant authorities. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rncw 5th Gear September 16, 2007 Share September 16, 2007 almost everyday kena calls from macau. i asked the girl if she's offering to "zuo ai" for free. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Albeniz Turbocharged September 16, 2007 Share September 16, 2007 If you have the time, just play with them. Make them waste overseas phone charges I am not that free, but I will still play with them to make them waste overseas phone charges, mine is free incoming. I will just treat the long telephone session as a free Mandarin conversation practice session. Since they have a favor to ask from me, they would be patient. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Usbobby Neutral Newbie September 16, 2007 Share September 16, 2007 Dont worry. When people call you, at most local call charges nia. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rncw 5th Gear September 16, 2007 Share September 16, 2007 they're most probably using some stolen accounts to call out and not tracable. anything can happen in china,and everything is happening there ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
Getting a foreign wife
Getting a foreign wife
Ron95 petrol, NGV off limits to foreign registered vehicles
Ron95 petrol, NGV off limits to foreign registered vehicles
Shanmugam warns of foreign interferences in Singapore
Shanmugam warns of foreign interferences in Singapore
Scam in SMS and Phone Call
Scam in SMS and Phone Call
Foreign interference law invoked for the first time
Foreign interference law invoked for the first time
Android’s emergency call shortcut is flooding dispatchers with false calls
Android’s emergency call shortcut is flooding dispatchers with false calls
MyResponder app to call SCDF
MyResponder app to call SCDF
Singapore's Glorious Foreign Talents! Salute!
Singapore's Glorious Foreign Talents! Salute!