Jump to content

Canon dslr camera


Jen1106
 Share

Recommended Posts

coz nowadays more amateurs buying SLRs and they buy zoom lenses. And so it's probably harder to sell fixed length lenses?

 

Btw, why you buy D300 in Tokyo? I checked and I thought it was the same price as SG's? I only checked D80 and D300. D80 is like S$1090 today. But D300 is like S$3K leh in Tokyo. But during the last IT show, D300 was only like S$2888 with some freebies thrown in.

 

May I know what makes you still want to buy D300 in Tokyo? Must have good reason leh. Share leh. The other worry I have is that Nikon Digital bodies have local warranty only. But anyway it's 1 year warranty so I hope D80 is a stable version. Alot of ex photography crazy friends told me to just go buy D300....but I always think like bro Contax said. If I'm good then I'm good. No need too high end camera. But at least need a decent one lor. And I think D80 is decent enough.

 

Btw, where you bought your D300 from Bic Camera or Yodobashi Camera? I guess it's yodobashi coz there's 1 quite near where you are staying. Don't tell me you went to Akihabara to buy? Seems like that place can sell even higher than normal price and they claim "duty free". Too many tourists there liao....

 

Also, are you planning to claim your tax back when you leave from narita?

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

ya hopefully I can find time to sneak out at night and buy it. I just came back from taiwan. My wife's shopping in taiwan for a few days already cost me >$1000. Not including her airfares + hotel.

 

How can it always be so unfair. This time is me spending liao! Somemore, this D80 I aimed so long liao. From D50 to D70 to D80.....procrastinate for so long liao.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We seems to have similarity in "learning the hard way". But I was the poorer version. My first camera was the Pentax K1000. Till now I still have very fond memories of it. How I dropped it and it rolled on the road but still works. No batteries but still works and have to estimate the lighting...coz battery was used only for metering.

 

I used to visit the then "camera hospital" at paradiz. Always go see the boss and admire his collection of Contax / Leica / Nikon cameras. Then those old uncles will be there giving me a lesson or 2 on how they take superb pics with just a 50mm Leica lens. And then I buy the cheapest possible Konica films $3 x 10rolls at a time for practise sessions and find them "bluish" but thats also the colour of konica box. But then I also found Fuji film to be "greenish"? weird.

 

I also did not regret getting into this hobby. But it was a expensive hobby and I made a decision not to pursue further otherwise I will want to make a living out of it like many of my other friends. I had thought of a career as a photo journalist but then we are in singapore....how many photographers are famed and earn comfortable income...it was a higher risk path given my choices at that point of time. Furthermore I'm partially colour deficient and therefore I knew I'll be handicapped in this field. But strange, I'm in engineering now [dizzy] Also handicapped! [lipsrsealed]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, I never buy from Yodobashi or Bic.

 

Min is 2.2k for body only which SG sells for 2.7.

 

So, do a search first.. :D

 

For warranties, it depends. I do know Canon and Nikon warranties are recognized internationally. So no worries.

 

I've gotten a lot of cam stuff here already. Like rain jackets for camera, special lenses like 24mm i've just gotten, and accessories like eyepiece corrective lens which you cannot get in SG but cheap here.

 

Yes you need to do a search before you come. And generally,keep away from big stores.

2 things in mind. Things you cannot get in SG, come here to get it, and price. Some maybe cheaper, some same, some more ex.

 

I do know of a store in Ginza that deals with 2nd hand lenses. Worth taking a look imho.

 

Rgds

Edited by Madsumm
Link to post
Share on other sites

they have corrective lenses for eyepiece? [shocked]

 

what degrees variations do they have? Hmm.. maybe i could ship some here. It's kinda annoying sometimes to look thru glasses *and* is photochromic [lipsrsealed]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbocharged

prime lens is good..for the fact that the f-value is is much more lower than zoom lens for a smaller size lens..

 

my next lens will be either the 85mm f1.8 or the 100mm f2.8 macro.. [thumbsup]

Link to post
Share on other sites

either way..

 

-1 to -9 i think and +1 to +3

 

Try to ship.. hahaha.. its not available in SG.

 

Its so bloody useful especially is you are outdoors and wearing sunglasses as well as indoors.

 

Rgds

Link to post
Share on other sites

i tot its 105mm?

 

haha.. well.. a few lenses that should be in the pack and Prime are that few.

 

24mm is good for me for norm shots. It took care of almost 80-90% of normal shots. (35-36mm converted from cropped sensors)

Prime has little lens elements thus allowing more light .

 

Only problem I see with prime is light scattering at the lenses near the censors.

If its ED, I think it will reduce that impact.

However, one of the best ways to reduce it is a proper hood, which for prime lenses, is almost impossible to find.. back to sq one i think..

 

given the nice pic it produces, i think i could live with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

agree with u on the photographer being the most important.. BUT, a good camera can allow one to take better pix in trying conditions, and allows one to carry on shooting when pple using inferior equipment have to give up due to low light.

 

but then again, slap a good lens onto an avg DSLR body and u can overcome most of the stuff i mentioned above [:)]

 

sometimes, smaller (usually lower end also) camera is good. I can put my D40x into my hamsters' tanks [thumbsup] . can't see myself doing the same thing with those big DSLRs (with grip kind)

Link to post
Share on other sites

how come you just " [thumbsup] " my replies today in both threads?

 

Trying to score MCF points ah? [sly]

 

i suspect it's a PAP goon. i've seen this nick on another forum [shakehead]

 

must be trying to level up so as to be more "credible" [rolleyes]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Then those old uncles will be there giving me a lesson or 2 on how they take superb pics with just a 50mm Leica lens.

 

Well, that explains why I'm goin back fixed focal prime...

 

When I started photography years years ago on a Yashica, its on 35mm fixed.

 

And I always remember one photographer says, you need to move yourself and you can take a totally different and better pics everytime better then be lazy and stand in one place hoping either the object moves or your lenses will.

 

Zoom lenses are great for particular purposes. For normal candid shots and "natural" shots, 24mm(35mm equiv), 50mm (75mm equiv) are usually the better choice.

50mm at F1.4/1.8 and 24 at F2.8 are a joy to use...

 

Now with the D300, its capabilities are extended with its low noise ISO and very accurate focusing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nowsaday any new DSLR can take good quality photos. Technology has improved the camera sensor which allows to capture better quality esp low lighting.

 

My recommendation is ask around your best friends who own a DSLR. It is good to get the same brand as them and also can borrow their lens to test out.

 

Happy Shooting :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

does the lens really play a part in the final image?I mean during the pre-digital age , carl zeiss and leica are consider much more superior than the then current japan lenses.

 

I'm also looking to buy a DSLR too and I'm leaning towards the Sony with carl zeiss lenses . gossip.gif

 

Yes, lens quality will dictate image sharpness, AF Speed, contrast, colour reproduction, DOF, as well as bokeh quality.

 

While on the other hand, the camera body will determine the AF algorithm speed, and sensor noise level, shutter speed, ease of use, etc.

 

Lens construction, type and quantity of element used, manufacturing know-how, lens diaphragm, and actual lens test and review by experts and professionals are used to determine the superiority of a lens, and not BRAND NAMEs nod.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it also depends what models most of your friends are using, can share lenses mah sly.gif

 

ha ha... that's the last thing that friends usually share. Share memory card or flash light can. Share lens? No way! shakehead.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Me thinking of buying the D80 body only because I have alot of old nikon AFS lenses which D60 and below cannot support.

 

But my old lenses are big and heavy lor. Really in a serious dilemma whether if I should go for the new VR lenses like you did. VR helps shaky hands....many a times it's useful.

 

Going to tokyo in 3days time. Plan was to buy D80 body and come back coz it's only $1100 there.

 

huh??? bro, AFS are Nikon LATEST state of the art Silent wave AF motor for lenses, how can they be old?? confused.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

I FULLY and TOTALLY agree with your last statement .It's not how many expensive lenses or expensive camera body with all the bell and whistle that count ; it's the 'eye' of the photographer has.

 

I don't totally agree with this statement. Maybe it is put wrongly.

 

You can say that if I give a PRO system to a newbie, it will not mean that the photos taken by the newbie will definitely be awesome.

 

You cannot say that inferior equipment under the hands of PRO will make the photo superb as well.

 

Talent and experience can only bring you so far, the rest will be equipment le.

 

For example in capturing fast moving subjects like sports, the focusing speed and focus algorithms are much superior in the PRO level DSLRs and with a entry level DSLRs, even a PRO finds it hard to get the job done. shakehead.gif

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...