Jump to content

Engine oil


Santa
 Share

Recommended Posts

Neutral Newbie

I've used Redline previously and now on Amsoil (10W30).

 

My feedback is Redline is good to rev but performance dropped abit after 5-6k mileage (maybe it's juz me). Heard Amsoil can last longer therefore using it now and it's cheaper than Redline too.

 

Only marginally cheaper. maybe 10 bucks difference for 4 bottles? But i have to agree that Amsoil is value for money, and Redline gives a quieter ride. How do you quantify 'performance drop'?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

bro your mobil oil (extended performance) - u got it from those importer i suppose ???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

bro your mobil oil (extended performance) - u got it from those importer i suppose ???

 

Mobil EP cost abt $14.5 iirc. the tech data is quite good. comparable to redline i think...

 

At the end of the day, no matter what oil one uses, the best practise is to change oil frequently. 5000km would be ideal as engine oil is like blood to the car. change it regularly, it gets a new lease of life and definitely will protect ur engine. [:)]

Link to post
Share on other sites

think alot of users actually base on "butt dynos" to feel the car actually acc better or revs smoother.it is important but do take note that

different kind of oil gives different kind of oil temp as well. oil temp over heating is bad for engine as well.

as for my case , i have a oil temp gauge and also a oil cooler. so far the best i've tried is motul and ows turbo racing oil.smooth , warms up pretty well but maintains temp well .

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

think alot of users actually base on "butt dynos" to feel the car actually acc better or revs smoother.it is important but do take note that

different kind of oil gives different kind of oil temp as well. oil temp over heating is bad for engine as well.

as for my case , i have a oil temp gauge and also a oil cooler. so far the best i've tried is motul and ows turbo racing oil.smooth , warms up pretty well but maintains temp well .

 

There is no secret in fluid dynamic, the lower is the viscosity the better is the heat transfer rate. Base fluid be it group III base, PAO base or Ester base only affect it's oxidation rate at certain temperature and not heat transfer rate much. The lower VI (viscosity index) oil in fact will lower the oil temp even more at high temperature due to it's excessive thinning of viscosity, this give a false assurance of protection at temperature.

Edited by Trex101
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

at the expense of FC?

 

 

after runnning for 1000 km, yes fuel consumption did suffer abit

 

in the past was getting 6.5km/litre, now about 6.25km/litre

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

Heard of this Stupidly expensive oil call "ROAR" developed by the wishy club? or the Texas cowboy blue oil?

 

70+ per litre

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard of this Stupidly expensive oil call "ROAR" developed by the wishy club? or the Texas cowboy blue oil?

 

70+ per litre

 

 

I'm not very sure about it.

but iam very sure, most SGMercedes club people swear by it. haha. Try it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard of this Stupidly expensive oil call "ROAR" developed by the wishy club? or the Texas cowboy blue oil?

 

70+ per litre

 

Engine oil is like art!

 

When people don't understand specs, they just think more ex is better!

 

Its good for the economy when people spend more money than they have to

 

but I have never paid more than $5/ltr for syn oil and hopefully I never have to!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Engine oil is like art!

 

When people don't understand specs, they just think more ex is better!

 

Its good for the economy when people spend more money than they have to

 

but I have never paid more than $5/ltr for syn oil and hopefully I never have to!

 

Can share what type of synthetic oil you using that's costing less than $5 per litre?

Even the cheap C.lube (likely Grp 3?) cost above $5 per litre....

Link to post
Share on other sites

To those who like X REV, here is m y experience with that so called US Made Oil.

 

I am driving a BMW 325i. The workshop I am going to (I will not say the name) changed to X-REV Oil. At my last service I was using my favorite German oil as always.

 

After four days of collecting my car with X-REV Oil inside, I noticed a oil stain on my drive way. Thought maybe residual. I cleaned it up and the next morning there was a bigger puddle of oil. On the PIE, my check engine light came on and a warning message that there was no oil left in the engine.

 

I stopped and towed my car to the workshop. After removing the transmission, the rear main seal was found laying in the bell housing and the valve cover gasket was leaking as well.

 

After doing contacting X-REV Oil PTE LTD, they didn't want to take responsibility and said this was a single case. I have the entire email conversation and even recorded the phone conversation.

 

I did some research and found that the oil from X-REV Oil PTE LTD is manufactured here AND in Indonesia. I fly frequently to the US and I asked around and went to car shops and no one even heard of this brand there before.

 

The oil is ester based and shrinks rubber and thats what happen and the seal fell off and the valve cover gasket was leaking.

 

My advice STAY AWAY FROM X-REV Oil!!!!

 

Its a BIG SCAM.

 

I am just sharing my experience and feelings here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the engine oil falls within specifications of API recommendations and came from main stream EO mfr, I am comfortable to pour into my engine.

 

Not particular or fussy over specific brand.

 

Of course, some effects or benefits are true, but some time it is psychological "feel good" effect.

 

 

 

 

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...