Petrol in Malaysia using Credit Card

Idwish

I noticed that most Singaporean use CASH instead of CREDIT CARD when pumping petrol in Malaysia, is there a reason why? Is it due to poor exchange rate from the bank ? Anyone care to share some insight? Thanks

↡ Advertisement

the exchange rate is actually not that bad. i always use my credit card there its more convenient than always having to change for ringgit. i feel more unsafe carrying too much cash anyway.

for safety reason , I don't like to leave my car and family in tow alone outside while I'm paying at the cashier . Paying direct cash to the attendant is faster if there's one .

I use Credit Card to pump petrol in MY. Using Maybank Family Credit Card entitled you to 5% rebate on all Petrol Station in MY. So overall the exchange rate will still be better than cash.

Neutral Newbie

i always use my credit card and always pump at one particular station... know the staff there very well liao, morning shift night shift all know already... get smile points also. exchange rate is ok for the convinience...

i actually hate to pump at some petrol stations which require you to pay 1st... sickening...

Anyone know if we can still get 5% cash rebate when topping petrol in M'sia with Citibank Dividend card?

Hi,

No.

My Citibank Dividend card's statement shown that those transactions in M'sai petro station NO rebate.

What a disappointment.

woo hoo 5% discount with friends and family - I will have to get my chip card and start using.

To the op - I think two reasons why pay cash

1. If non chip card its a hassle in malaysia, andd not all banks here issue chip card yet

2. its a hassle to go inside and pay first with a credit card

For me, I always pay at pump with a chip card - no muss no fuss nice and fast.

I still feel safer to use credit card.... dont carry much cash when Im in Malaysia, Max RM 200 + less than S$100....

eh.. you think the robber will ask you how much you have before they rob you?

thus there's no difference when you have RM100 or RM 1000. you still kena rob and if they are not happy with the amt, you also kena knifed.

safer in using credit card? then most likely you have not encounter your card being cloned before.

In addition, the lose in exchange rate which is not really a lot per transaction but when you add up over the years if you go there for JB on regular basis, then it's quite a substantial amt

eh.. you think the robber will ask you how much you have before they rob you?

thus there's no difference when you have RM100 or RM 1000. you still kena rob and if they are not happy with the amt, you also kena knifed.

safer in using credit card? then most likely you have not encounter your card being cloned before.

In addition, the lose in exchange rate which is not really a lot per transaction but when you add up over the years if you go there for JB on regular basis, then it's quite a substantial amt

Yes bro, you will get rob regardless of the amount you have, but do you prefer to get rob for $1000? or get rob for $100?? Obvious rite???

Using a credit card, at least im exposed to less risk. As for kena knifed or not, i dont recall any market rate of getting injured for amt robbed, if you happen to have it, pls share the rates with us. From what I know, Its depends on the robber mood. Some people get fired after being rod for a 5 figure amount, while nothing happen to some even if they have little money.

As for card getting cloned, you can minimise the chances of such things happen...i always make sure that the credit card is always within my visual when the cashier swipe my card. for instance, when go to restaurant, i always pay at the counter, rather than pass my card to the waiter. I practice it since the 1st day i use credit card, whether in Singapore, Malaysia or any other countries. This is the basic knowledge when using credit card, didnt you know that?

As for the exchance rate, its none of my business cos most of the time, i use credit card mainly for petrol only, and my divident card is giving me back 5% rebate, more than enough to cover the loss in exchange rate. I dont shop much as i dont find the things there much cheaper compare to Singapore. As for the food, I usually eat at the hawker centre, which i need to pay cash, thats y i standby $200+ with me. When I eat in restaurtant/ hotel, my dividen card will rebate me 2%, again, that is enough to cover the diff in exchange rate.

Edited by Tigershark1976

Hi,

No.

My Citibank Dividend card's statement shown that those transactions in M'sai petro station NO rebate.

What a disappointment.

it does rebate 5%. they have rebate the 5% to me since 2 yrs back. 100% Confirmed.

I used my Citibank Dividend Card in my recent trip to MY and here's one very important thing you need to know.

I went to a Shell pump where u swipe your card yrself at the pump itself (I was told that its the best method as its safe). I swiped my card first and then when it said "approved", I tanked up for 67 RM. While I was starting to leave imagine my shock when I get an SMS from Citibank saying that there was a credit card transaction for 200 RM !!!! I went to the attendant and took a receipt fearing that I will have to contest this txn with Citi later. Same thing happened in my 2nd transaction 2 days later.

Today I checked up in Citibank internet banking portal, they have actually NOT charged me for 200 RM but for the actual amount. So seems like that the pump takes the "authorization" from Citibank for 200RM but bills only the actual amount. Its odd and if you don't know, it can give you a scare. So I thought of sharing it with all.

BTW, the currency conversion rate is about 3-5% worse than what I got at Mustafa for cash conversion before leaving. Also NO 5% discount

Edited by Himanshu_g
↡ Advertisement