CNA: Parliament's for Serious Discussion, Not Just Criticism

Vulcann

so co-drivers does play a part .... -_--_-

but driver keeps saying co-driver should drive and insists his direction is correct although instead of reaching jurong, he's heading towards changi direction :D

↡ Advertisement

Sounds like a serious mental case............ what's wrong with accepting shortcomings, past failures, and work together for improvements? Given that they made the mistake but have great resources, they should jolly well take the lead and incorporate others' suggestion in the renewal process....

What we see is 'more of the same' ---- self righteous, 'exclusive', top-down, digging deeper into the sand and burry their head.....

As the saying goes, it's only human to err, but its _____ to admit it and make amends... as a man

Appears like accepting criticisms or even suggestions is taboo in their context.

Die die dowan to admit some policies need tweeting or fine tuning even now.

Rings hollow when you remember how humble they seemed just days before the GE and immediately after the results were announced and that they would listen to the ground, deliberate on better policy formulation, etc

so co-drivers does play a part .... -_--_-

Bro, not sure about you but when I heard LTK mentioned that in the rally, I thought that was the most apt description of the opposition's role in the localized form of democracy presently.

If the driver doze off or not paying attention on the roads, the co-driver have the duty to keep the him alert some how and if need be, slap him around to make sure he does not endanger the whole bus load of people i.e. us citizens.

[mad] [mad] [mad]

Appears like accepting criticisms or even suggestions is taboo in their context.

Die die dowan to admit some policies need tweeting or fine tuning even now.

Rings hollow when you remember how humble they seemed just days before the GE and immediately after the results were announced and that they would listen to the ground, deliberate on better policy formulation, etc

Their eyes pasted with plaster?? .... more like a delibrate last ditch 'defence' coz to them admitting failures amount to losing votes from their brain-washed supporters, they cant afford to let these supporters wake up and see the truth?? so in the interest of survival, they ignore constructive criticism at the expense of improvements to the system / policies to benefit the people... in short: party interests come first.......... nation's interest go to the end of the queue

unless they are trying to make it look to us like the OPPO are not doing anything, so people wont vote oppo in 2016 anymore

Ya good trick, as if we are blind...

Yeah, we must make Aljunied voters repent for the next 5 yrs.

...because their MPs raise issues in Parliament on the behalf of their constituents and other Singaporeans.

They must REPENT!

Parliament for serious discussion?! Isn't this some kind of child's talk? I mean all the while they were joking and playing the fool? Cannot be. Right?

If the ruling party cannot take criticism dan perhaps they are not suited for the job. Criticism is also a form of feedback(and the PM said they are "listening") though abit negative but shouldn't they be open to both negative & positive feedbacks if they want the best for its ppl?? They are not perfect human beings. Should they not try to identify their mistakes, adapt and make changes quickly and not expect ppl to stop criticising them?

Anyway IMO it's not healthy for the Parliament to have just one party full with its members. We are not a communist state. I believe any opposition in the Parliament is not to "create trouble" cos they also have a role to play and it can be constructive as the current ones have shown. In a democratic society surely there will be different views. Of course having "one view" was easier to get things done but that was the past. Now that our nation has developed a brand new type of issues arise. It's time for change in order to move forward. Exchange of views between different parties are unavoidable in the future.

when will you guys wake up? in the first place, what is there for them to "get it"?

what they want ppl to have is not to get in alternative view. it is you guys to "understand", accept and follow what they are implementing, like policies, direction, fare hikes, raise of living standard, etc.

and yes, i believe, 2016 will still be the same. no point to keep talking about 2016 and wake up call. you all really think that they implement GE is for you all to throw them out? too naive even till now.

Very well said. They try to coax us and slowly force down our throat whatever policies they implement. Whenever there is alternate voice, they use statistics (GDP, unemployment rate etc) to justify their idea is the best-est.

He and his team of Minister are paid multi-million of taxpayer's $$$ and now he wants Opp MPs to help solving problems. What a joke?

So meaning, co-drivers must now also give directions, no more slapping sleepy drivers .... :ph34r::ph34r:

Parliament for serious discussion?! Isn't this some kind of child's talk? I mean all the while they were joking and playing the fool? Cannot be. Right?

If the ruling party cannot take criticism dan perhaps they are not suited for the job. Criticism is also a form of feedback(and the PM said they are "listening") though abit negative but shouldn't they be open to both negative & positive feedbacks if they want the best for its ppl?? They are not perfect human beings. Should they not try to identify their mistakes, adapt and make changes quickly and not expect ppl to stop criticising them?

Anyway IMO it's not healthy for the Parliament to have just one party full with its members. We are not a communist state. I believe any opposition in the Parliament is not to "create trouble" cos they also have a role to play and it can be constructive as the current ones have shown. In a democratic society surely there will be different views. Of course having "one view" was easier to get things done but that was the past. Now that our nation has developed a brand new type of issues arise. It's time for change in order to move forward. Exchange of views between different parties are unavoidable in the future.

Your points are exactly what I meant though I could not have put it better.

What we fear is these people think they are the best (they are already saying so) and that no other alternative or better way to govern a country can be found anymore.

Oblique references to both the old and new worlds have been made time and again that their politcal systems does not work and our tiny one beats theirs hands down.

Their rallying call is that one-party system is superior to all others on this earth.

Like what I have mentioned earlier on in another thread, Nazi Germany evolved more than 60 years and the party almost ruined the country and was responsible for millions of lives lost and many nations/cities (including theirs) destroyed.

Maybe a bit extreme to compare the Nazis against ours but my point is that it is very dangerous to be self-conceited that one is the best and no changes required because that will lead to a slippery slope and bring harm to themselves and more importantly to collaterals eventually as history has shown.

This is part and parcel of political games, pretty common in many countries.

I would say that he should look at his own party and come down hard on those who sleep in parliament!!! Parliament is a place for serious discussion, not for sleeping.

For those caught sleeping, their allowance should be deducted and donated to charity. And for those who are on pension, their pension should be deducted as well.

Geezz, so we voted in 5 oppo members for fun?

And from what I have witnessed, these 5 credible MPs have done a helluva job together with their NCMP counterparts, raising various bread and butter issues in the 1st Parliament.

In particular, Chen Show Mao's speech in Chinese was both refreshing and very meaningful when he described oppo members today were like a loyal subject giving good advice to a emperor but unfortunately he was not appreciated and mocked at instead by the MIWs.

Similarly Sylvia's plea to link our economic success to happiness was also scorned at by many ruling party folks including our new MND minister.

If this is the new norm in Parliament then I feel sorry for the ruling party because they are still very confrontational with no stomach for alternative views.

The PM better wake up his idea and not deem these honorable oppo MPs & NCMPs as trouble-makers. They are there for a reason and that voters are sick and tired of having the ruling party having the last word on EVERYTHING.

How I wish 2016 can be around the corner...

From CNA:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1162543/1/.html

Parliament's for "serious discussion, not just criticism"

By Joanne Chan in Perth | Posted: 30 October 2011 1840 hrs

PERTH, AUSTRALIA: Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said that Parliament is a place for serious discussion and not just criticism.

Mr Lee added that Parliament is not just a place to hold either the government or opposition to account.

Instead both sides should participate in solving problems together, or Singapore would be worse off for it.

He was speaking to the Singapore media at the end of the three-day Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Perth on Sunday.

Earlier this month, Singapore's Parliament sat for the first time since the May General Election, and members shared their thoughts on the measures needed for the country to prosper.

Mr Lee said that while the opposition had put a lot of effort into their parliamentary speeches, it remains to be seen if they will participate in helping to solve problems.

"This is not just a show, it's not just theatre. This (Parliament) is a place where we are discussing very serious business and where we have to make very difficult choices for Singaporeans on behalf of our voters," he said.

"And I think as government, it's our responsibility to speak the truth to Singaporeans and I think it's the opposition's responsibility also to acknowledge the truth and to speak it, whether or not it's politically advantageous to them," added Mr Lee.

On Singapore's economy, Mr Lee said that there are dark clouds on the horizon, referring to the latest report from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS).

The MAS report said that Singapore's economic growth will stall over the next few quarters before seeing a modest recovery late next year because the long-term structural problems in Europe will not disappear soon.

Prime Minister Lee added that Singapore is also facing slowing growth because the economy is more mature.

"For a developed economy, 3, 4% (growth) is not bad. Of course, we've been used to 5,6,7 (percent), or even more in the past, but it's a different phase. When you're an adolescent, you grow and shoot up inches every year. When you're mature you hope to grow, not necessarily taller but wiser and better," said Mr Lee.

On the government's move to raise the minimum qualifying salaries for foreign professionals and skilled workers, Mr Lee said that the government knows it has been painful for employers.

He added that accepting a lower growth rate is the price to pay for managing the population size in Singapore.

Even with these challenges, Mr Lee said Singapore should not be too downbeat. He said Singapore hopes to have quality growth - improved productivity for better wages.

Mr Lee also pointed out that he had met various leaders at CHOGM, all of whom expressed admiration for Singapore and said the country has done very well.

Referring to his meeting with Western Australia's Premier Colin Barnett, Mr Lee said it is keen to develop links with Singapore.

Mr Lee concluded that Singapore is "not doing badly", but can do better.

On CHOGM which had focused on reforms, Mr Lee said it would not be easy to transform the Commonwealth.

Calling the Commonwealth an "old boys' club" brought together by a shared history, he said members work together where they can but they also have disagreements.

On the failed proposal to appoint a watchdog for human rights, Mr Lee said Singapore's support will depend very much on whether such a commissioner will be productive.

The proposal for an independent commissioner on human rights, democracy and the rule of law was one of the reforms called for by an "Eminent Persons Group" that CHOGM itself commissioned two years ago to help it maintain relevancy.

- CNA/ir

(edited)

This is part and parcel of political games, pretty common in many countries.

I would say that he should look at his own party and come down hard on those who sleep in parliament!!! Parliament is a place for serious discussion, not for sleeping.

For those caught sleeping, their allowance should be deducted and donated to charity. And for those who are on pension, their pension should be deducted as well.

Frankly ever since JBJ they had not had any real challenges. Both CST & LTK were hammered left right centre everytime they spoke previously but now with more oppo members the 82 lot of them feel the heat & cannot function properly.

Agree on the zzzz MPs being something of a disgrace: imagine you vote in that fella to speak for you & your fellow constituents but when the video cameras pan to him or her your blood boils when that joker is found zzzz away.

Unbecoming of a MP....

Edited by Vulcann

Frankly ever since JBJ they had not had any real challenges. Both CST & LTK were hammered left right centre everytime they spoke previously but now with more oppo members the 82 lot of them feel the heat & cannot function properly.

Agree on the zzzz MPs being something of a disgrace: imagine you vote in that fella to speak for you & your fellow constituents but when the video cameras pan to him or her your blood boils when that joker is found zzzz away.

Unbecoming of a MP....

but now with aljunied GRC inside. its a different story.

1 wrong shot, got 8 members back u up

↡ Advertisement