News: Taxi driver earns more

SimonTan

I am very happy to read this news....HUAT AH.

Cab drivers earning more after fare hike

Cab drivers took home up to 30 per cent more in earnings since the recent fare hike last December, reported The Straits Times.

ComfortDelGro, one of the largest taxi operators in Singapore with about 15,600 taxis, said that the average net income per cab per day rose by up to 12 per cent to $210.93.

This is up from $188.69 in November - before the fare increase - and excludes expenses such as rental and diesel which the drivers have to bear.

The increase amounts to a monthly income of $5,906, based on 28 days, or about $2,953 per driver per shift, reported the newspaper.

ComfortDelGro spokesman Tammy Tan said that the company saw a steady rise in net income from November 2011 to March 2012.

Trans-Cab, which is the second largest operator with about 4,400 taxis, told The Straits Times that its drivers also saw a 20 to 30 per cent increase in earnings.

Cabbies who are on a single shift - meaning those without relief drivers - earn about $3,200 a month now, while those who are a cab with a relief driver earn an average of $2,500 to $2,800 a month, said Trans-Cab general manager Jasmine Tan.

Third biggest operator with about 3,200 cabs, SMRT Corp, declined to comment, citing privacy of drivers.

Changes in taxi fares were introduced last December. This includes an increase by 20 cents in flagdown fare, advance booking charges were raised from $5.20 to $8, and peak periods were extended.

Due to the changes, a typical cab ride during the peak period rose by about 30 per cent, causing an initial decrease in passenger numbers.

Cabbies had lamented that business had dropped by as much as 30 per cent within the first couple of week.

However, Trans-Cab cabby Joseph Ho, 52, said that 'people have accepted the fare increase' and demand has stabilised since.

Although he did not reveal how much he is making now, he said that it is easier to get customers now, even during peak hours.

"Not everybody will see the same increase in earnings.

"It depends on the individual driver. In this job, you must love driving, and you must be hard-working," said Mr Ho.

Comfort cab driver Tony Pang, 62, told The Straits Times that the fare adjustment had helped him a lot.

"Life is better now. Our takings have generally gone up...but just by 5 to 10 per cent."

However, industry observers noted that if operating costs continue to rise, the gains from the improved earnings might eventually be eroded.

Diesel pump price has climbed by close to 10 per cent from a year ago to $1.74 a litre before discount today.

Taxi companies are also replacing ageing cabs with bigger and more luxurious models which command higher rentals.

Such costs will have an impact on a cabby's earnings, noted industry observers.

[email protected]

↡ Advertisement

If dont have second driver shift....meaning one man show.....work from 6am till around 8pm........easily can earn $3500++ per month?

WOW that is honest living in my dictionary!

Thanks.

taxi driving is hard work....so I think it is the right amount that they should earn...in Singapore..earning $3K is just about right to live a decent life here...with a family to support.

Relief driver can earn an average of $2,500 to $2,800 a month??? So high salary! Even earn more than me. [:(]

taxi driving is hard work....so I think it is the right amount that they should earn...in Singapore..earning $3K is just about right to live a decent life here...with a family to support.

ya. don forget they no CPF and leaves and MC all..

If dont have second driver shift....meaning one man show.....work from 6am till around 8pm........easily can earn $3500++ per month?

Thanks.

that driver will be mad if he does that.

if i were taxi driver, i will drive from 6am till around 12+ until 1+. then eat and go home rest.

start again at 4plus to around midnight.

can earn quite alot also

Thanks.

imagine driving that number of hours each day is no joke...just like you are driving from Singapore to Penang every single day....if people think it is easy money....they better think twice...

some more...taxi drivers got all the time they need to go banking....bring parents to see lok-kun....to run errands....or simply to play with XMM.

The income level is set by the number of hours one decide to work.

This news will be welcomed by many taxi drivers.....at least it help to make this job a honest living job!

if i were taxi driver, i will drive from 6am till around 12+ until 1+. then eat and go home rest.

can earn quite alot also

driving this kinda time slot...basically one will have no family life at all....if got young kid at home....basically you don;t see them at all...especially the evening time...even money is good....do anyone like this kinda lifestyle?

some more...taxi drivers got all the time they need to go banking....bring parents to see lok-kun....to run errands....or simply to play with XMM.

The income level is set by the number of hours one decide to work.

This news will be welcomed by many taxi drivers.....at least it help to make this job a honest living job!

can you define the word in bold? [:p]

Many people think drivign taxi is 12hours backside on the seat.

There are many opportunity for one to get out of the taxi after each fare to stand up and cool the backside. Since more trip will end in some carparks of housing estate, there are plenty of chance to stand up, drink water, or go toilet.

Driving Taxi is not like no time to pangsai or rest or even get out of the taxi.....this mindset people have to change!

If really business so good untill no time to pang-sai....then confirmed plus chopped....chao chao salary is easily $4000 per 12 hours shift per month!

can earn quite alot also

Like lunch time quickie....or visit GF home for home cooked lunch/dinner/high tea.

can you define the word in bold? [:p]

Turbocharged

Please lah, Straits Times is story book. Talk to cabbies and I'm very very very VERY sure there will be quite a few who will disagree with the article.

I am very happy to read this news....HUAT AH.

Cab drivers earning more after fare hike

Cab drivers took home up to 30 per cent more in earnings since the recent fare hike last December, reported The Straits Times.

ComfortDelGro, one of the largest taxi operators in Singapore with about 15,600 taxis, said that the average net income per cab per day rose by up to 12 per cent to $210.93.

This is up from $188.69 in November - before the fare increase - and excludes expenses such as rental and diesel which the drivers have to bear.

The increase amounts to a monthly income of $5,906, based on 28 days, or about $2,953 per driver per shift, reported the newspaper.

ComfortDelGro spokesman Tammy Tan said that the company saw a steady rise in net income from November 2011 to March 2012.

Trans-Cab, which is the second largest operator with about 4,400 taxis, told The Straits Times that its drivers also saw a 20 to 30 per cent increase in earnings.

Cabbies who are on a single shift - meaning those without relief drivers - earn about $3,200 a month now, while those who are a cab with a relief driver earn an average of $2,500 to $2,800 a month, said Trans-Cab general manager Jasmine Tan.

Third biggest operator with about 3,200 cabs, SMRT Corp, declined to comment, citing privacy of drivers.

Changes in taxi fares were introduced last December. This includes an increase by 20 cents in flagdown fare, advance booking charges were raised from $5.20 to $8, and peak periods were extended.

Due to the changes, a typical cab ride during the peak period rose by about 30 per cent, causing an initial decrease in passenger numbers.

Cabbies had lamented that business had dropped by as much as 30 per cent within the first couple of week.

However, Trans-Cab cabby Joseph Ho, 52, said that 'people have accepted the fare increase' and demand has stabilised since.

Although he did not reveal how much he is making now, he said that it is easier to get customers now, even during peak hours.

"Not everybody will see the same increase in earnings.

"It depends on the individual driver. In this job, you must love driving, and you must be hard-working," said Mr Ho.

Comfort cab driver Tony Pang, 62, told The Straits Times that the fare adjustment had helped him a lot.

"Life is better now. Our takings have generally gone up...but just by 5 to 10 per cent."

However, industry observers noted that if operating costs continue to rise, the gains from the improved earnings might eventually be eroded.

Diesel pump price has climbed by close to 10 per cent from a year ago to $1.74 a litre before discount today.

Taxi companies are also replacing ageing cabs with bigger and more luxurious models which command higher rentals.

Such costs will have an impact on a cabby's earnings, noted industry observers.

[email protected]

The next thing we know....

"taxi companies have no choice but to increase the rental of the taxis due to the up rising petrol costs and higher insurance premiums."

$2800 less 20% CPF as they are self employed.

= Gross of $2240.

Or net income of S$2800 X 12 months = $33,600.

Less 14 days MC & less 14 days leave = 33600 / 365 X (365-28) 337 = 31022.

Less rental cost of these 28 days which they still need to pay whether rain/shine/sick/strike 4D = S$60 X 28 = $1680.

When they don

Please lah, Straits Times is story book. Talk to cabbies and I'm very very very VERY sure there will be quite a few who will disagree with the article.

Think Straits Times should be talked to those elite cabbies who earn BIG money per month! :D

$2800 less 20% CPF as they are self employed.

= Gross of $2240.

Or net income of S$2800 X 12 months = $33,600.

Less 14 days MC & less 14 days leave = 33600 / 365 X (365-28) 337 = 31022.

Less rental cost of these 28 days which they still need to pay whether rain/shine/sick/strike 4D = S$60 X 28 = $1680.

When they don

↡ Advertisement