ABS Explained.

Torquemonster

Turbocharged

From what i understand, ABS WILL help you stop faster as well, all other things being equal.

ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces for many drivers; however, on loose surfaces like gravel or snow-covered pavement, ABS can significantly increase braking distance, although still improving vehicle control.

Above statement from wikipedia.

Your statement doesn't hold true for all conditions.

↡ Advertisement

ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces for many drivers; however, on loose surfaces like gravel or snow-covered pavement, ABS can significantly increase braking distance, although still improving vehicle control.

Above statement from wikipedia.

Your statement doesn't hold true for all conditions.

Yea, i neglected to provide a caveat. Read post #17 which now included that.

Likewise, your earlier reply is also not consistent in stance with your current reply if you review your wording.

Turbocharged

Yea, i neglected to provide a caveat. Read post #17 which now included that.

Likewise, your earlier reply is also not consistent in stance with your current reply if you review your wording.

Ric why you always like to argue on words?

If you made a wrong statement then just accept it. No need caveat this or caveat that.

I also don't understand what stance you're referring to. But doesn't matter at all. Fact is ABS doesn't decrease stopping distance all the time.

I never kee tao hong hor btw. Love you deep deep :D

ABS can works better with Traction control. There is a reason why you cannot get max ncap points if yxour car do not come with traction control.

This video is old, but explain everything (well almost).

Edited by Kiadaw

Ric why you always like to argue on words?

If you made a wrong statement then just accept it. No need caveat this or caveat that.

I also don't understand what stance you're referring to. But doesn't matter at all. Fact is ABS doesn't decrease stopping distance all the time.

I never kee tao hong hor btw. Love you deep deep :D

is it? when you kum me just now, your mouth extra hot leh.

:D

ABS doesn't stop faster. It prevents skidding.

Upgrade brakes to stop faster

ABS does help u to stop faster.

Jam brakes on a slippery road n wh ABS yr wheels dun lock n go into a slide.

Once u slide...its all men fr themselves as e tires hv lost all grip n e car wil slide n slide n slide till u hit e barrier or tree.

On normal roads...ABS wil not activate n car wil stop same as without ABS.

When road slippery e ABS car wil always hv a shorter braking distance cos it keeps yr tires gripping e road as much as possible while alowing u to steer away from e obstruction while stopping.

Confirm ABS increase breaking distance because personally experienced it.

ABS is most irritating when the roads are dry, and your car most likely will not need the abs, but braking distance increased.. And u will see your car, tok, tok, tok, tok but just wouldn't stop completely, and tok tok some more until kiss the front car backside.

Of course ABS will be appreciated during wet weather.

Twincharged

Yup it's not to stop earlier. It's so that the car won't skid as you zham brake.

If you don't lock the tires you will still have control while doing e-brake and have shorter braking distance than cars with ABS. Just practice more. My car has no ABS and I haven't locked my tires since I started practicing how to e-brake. Experienced many times already. Once was on a wet road and the guy infront just ebrake till he stop cuz got ERP gantry. Just need more practice.

But I agree that ABS is useful if its snowing though. Quite impossible not to lose control in the snow without ABS and traction control.

Even for cars with ABS if you brake just till the point before ABS is activated, the stopping distance is shorter from what I tested. Once the ABS is activated your braking distance is increased already.

Edited by Nzy

Confirm ABS increase breaking distance because personally experienced it.

ABS is most irritating when the roads are dry, and your car most likely will not need the abs, but braking distance increased.. And u will see your car, tok, tok, tok, tok but just wouldn't stop completely, and tok tok some more until kiss the front car backside.

Of course ABS will be appreciated during wet weather.

ABS wl only activate when yr wheels lock. Once ty lock...either yr tires no good or road slippery or u slam on e brakes too hard.

Whichever way. ..ABS prevents u fm skidding n losing control so it is always good to hv.

Unless u brake as well as an F1 driver...then u can do without it. But i seriously doubt u can brake so well. [:p]

ABS wl only activate when yr wheels lock. Once ty lock...either yr tires no good or road slippery or u slam on e brakes too hard.

Whichever way. ..ABS prevents u fm skidding n losing control so it is always good to hv.

Unless u brake as well as an F1 driver...then u can do without it. But i seriously doubt u can brake so well. [:p]

Aiyo mai suan lah.. sometimes in event of emergency.. just step brake as hard as I can. Where got think so much..

Twincharged

Aiyo mai suan lah.. sometimes in event of emergency.. just step brake as hard as I can. Where got think so much..

Must practice first before going out to drive. I practiced quite alot so now I know for my own car exactly when the wheels will lock up. So far for the past few times I had to ebrake never managed to lock the wheels. Before practicing every time I try to ebrake sure have smoke. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Tried and tested ABS does increase braking distance....... but it does ensure that you get better control and stop car straight swee swee while non ABS cars you stop shorter distance but the car might be pointing 45 degrees as there's no steering control over bother front tires.

Exactly. When faced wh an emergency...most pple reaction is slam e brakes as hard as possible n keep pressing wh all their strength wh steering locked straight ahead.

Thats why ABS is so important n saved so many pple fm an accident.

Hahaha. [:p]

This picture is damn cool

Hahaha

Guess my dog is abs offfff

Haha

Always bring him to sentosa like wan his life

Hahaha

Yaya

Some dog really like to bark

Haha

Twincharged

Tried and tested ABS does increase braking distance....... but it does ensure that you get better control and stop car straight swee swee while non ABS cars you stop shorter distance but the car might be pointing 45 degrees as there's no steering control over bother front tires.

You wont lost control without ABS if you don't lock the wheels. Had to ebrake a few times already and never locked the wheels. Still had steering control and the car never skid.