Carpet Grass / Artificial Grass Carpet

A_korusawa

Hi, Experts out there!

I'm actually keen to lay Carpet Grass on my new house . . . .
Please advice if you have any good contacts or lobangs for Carpet Grass . . . .

Alternative, is Artifiicial Grass Carper a better choice for its low maintenances?

Please advice, thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Make sure the turf area has sufficient sunlight and when laying ensure good drainage like having drainage pipes below the sand layer....

If not enough light you would end up with a miniature national stadium, and if waterlogged there would be ugly algae.

Can try Cheng Tai.

Edited by Volvobrick

Turbocharged

Why don't you try pearl grass. Almost zero maintenance as it does not need trimming. Just ensure your contractor lay a layer of sand bedding about 2 inches below.

• Praise 2

Hi, Experts out there!

I'm actually keen to lay Carpet Grass on my new house . . . .

Please advice if you have any good contacts or lobangs for Carpet Grass . . . .

Alternative, is Artifiicial Grass Carper a better choice for its low maintenances?

Please advice, thanks.

Even our sports hub have to switch to artificial turf....

. . . Can try Cheng Tai.

Ok, I will try calling Cheng Tai to check out the price . . . .

Its turf size is about 1200sqft, last quoted was $2500+ which I think its too much!

Cheers . . .

Why don't you try pearl grass. Almost zero maintenance as it does not need trimming. Just ensure your contractor lay a layer of sand bedding about 2 inches below.

Yes!, I have been told Pearl grass may be better maintenance than Carpet grass, but the price is the same or even more expensive!!! The fear invasion of unwanted weeds or other greens are similarly high with carpet grass . . .

Nevertheless, Pearl grass is definitely an option to Carpet grass.

Even our sports hub have to switch to artificial turf....

I'm lost now!

I have never thought of that since my last artificial patch on my roof (previous house) was a flopped.

Y' see . . . its on the roof, thus . . .

- its so hot that you dun wanna walk on it

- patches of water after heavy rains

- foul smell from static rain water

- etc . . .

But that was the past.

Nowadays, I discovered that there are spoit for choices - so many types !!!

Moreover, if I'm laying it on the groundfloor next to my pool.

if good water drainage, and right selection - I guess that's one good option.............maintenance free and evergreen grass!

Is there any good recommendation on the vendors/suppliers?

I wonder if pricing is good too???

Advise please, cheers.

Pearl Grass cost more than carpet grass. Had it for less than a year & returfed with carpet grass again.

It doesn't thrive well in overly sunny and hot areas.

Mine started dying in the middle part of the unshaded lawn (abt 1,500 sq ft) & botak patch spread bigger & bigger, despite watering 2-3x daily. If the area u have in mind gets only 1/2 day sunshine, it's ideal for Pearl Grass.

Edited by TameDriver

TameDriver,

Yes, Pearl grass costs more than Carpet grass as my contractor quotes me.

in fact, he says that Carpet grass can be obtained from JB but NOT reliable for Pearl grass (thus, gonna be local).

And since Pearl grass grows very slow, its difficult to determine if its properly/successfully laid; said the contractor . . . .

Thus, I'm also wary of your experience . . .

Now, my issue is also 'wild weeds' from air-travel, birds etc. as I also have a 3 storey Christmas tree within the compund and other 4 storey high trees outside the corridor where the branches are spreading.

With all these concerns, will it be better off to setlle down with Artificial carpet grass?

Advice please . . .

Pearl Grass cost more than carpet grass. Had it for less than a year & returfed with carpet grass again.
It doesn't thrive well in overly sunny and hot areas.

Mine started dying in the middle part of the unshaded lawn (abt 1,500 sq ft) & botak patch spread bigger & bigger, despite watering 2-3x daily. If the area u have in mind gets only 1/2 day sunshine, it's ideal for Pearl Grass.

It will be around $3k to returf abt 1500sqft with Carpet grass, right?

I was quoted almost $2.5k for 1200sqft (with labor) . . . .

Really dunno if its worth despite the risk, maintenance & care needed . . .

Any lobang from your contractor, if any?

Edited by A_korusawa

TameDriver,

Yes, Pearl grass costs more than Carpet grass as my contractor quotes me.

in fact, he says that Carpet grass can be obtained from JB but NOT reliable for Pearl grass (thus, gonna be local).

And since Pearl grass grows very slow, its difficult to determine if its properly/successfully laid; said the contractor . . . .

Thus, I'm also wary of your experience . . .

Now, my issue is also 'wild weeds' from air-travel, birds etc. as I also have a 3 storey Christmas tree within the compund and other 4 storey high trees outside the corridor where the branches are spreading.

With all these concerns, will it be better off to setlle down with Artificial carpet grass?

Advice please . . .

It will be around $3k to returf abt 1500sqft with Carpet grass, right?

I was quoted almost $2.5k for 1200sqft (with labor) . . . .

Really dunno if its worth despite the risk, maintenance & care needed . . .

Any lobang from your contractor, if any?

Carpet grass needs plenty of sunshine. I had my side garden paved becos the grass just couldn't thrive with abt 2 hrs sunshine daily. Too much shade from huge tree & garden wall in the morning and shadow cast by house in the afternoon.

No garden is without weeds. A lot of hardwork goes into maintaining a nice lawn. Minimum 2x mowing (carpet /cow grass ) a month & fertilizing and weeding in between. Make sure ground drainage is good, or else there'll be algae/moss infestation for carpet grass.

So, you'll have to consider amt of sunshine to decide on type of grass. Alternate suggestions:

1) Natural wood (Chengal) or artificial wood decking. These would cost more than grass turfing but barely needs maintenance. Downside-decking can get slimy & slippery after a while, especially in our tropical weather.

2) Stone Slabs with or without grass.

3) Pebblewash

I daren't intro any lobang for contractors as I don't seem to have luck with any I engaged. The last one I paid to do a variety of workscopes absconded with large sum of deposit after completing only 1/2 the job. :(

Edited by TameDriver

I daren't intro any lobang for contractors as I don't seem to have luck with any I engaged. The last one I paid to do a variety of workscopes absconded with large sum of deposit after completing only 1/2 the job. :(

. . . . same here; one of my contractors also run away with my deposits on some works.

Thus, my garden works has been delayed till now . . . sigh!

Wood deckings, Stone slabs, Pebblewash . . . we have considered them but none grabs our desire.

We wanna something green to run around with the pool by the side, thus grass carpets.

Actually, my environment is quite conducive with natural grasses; adequate lights and space, but the thoughts is slowly fading away now with the hassles and concerns in maintenances.

I'm hesitating to drop all these and go for Artificial carpet grass . . . . what's your thoughts?

TS, We both could have Kenna from same contractor.

I engaged mine just to do house painting job & he encouraged me to add on more workscopes, claiming he could do this & that. To save hassle of engaging different groups of contractors, I fell for his scam. Over the weeks, he requested for more deposits for additional works to be done. Before external house painting done, couldn't get him but his workers still turned up for work, minus supervisor and him. Ended up I did the supervising, etc. very tiring & stressful.

Amount he ran off with was quite substantial but not worth the trouble & cost of engaging blood sucking lawyer.

It appears u already settled on artificial grass. Positive aspect is the easy maintenance, different colour tone, texture & height. You could lay it yourself too.

No point stayin on landed when every bit of land is paved up. Agree with u on this view.

The green would look nice in linear pattern around the pool.

Turbocharged

I'm hesitating to drop all these and go for Artificial carpet grass . . . . what's your thoughts?

If I lay artificial carpet grass , I will do a golf putting green . [rolleyes]

TS, We both could have Kenna from same contractor.

I engaged mine just to do house painting job & he encouraged me to add on more workscopes, claiming he could do this & that. To save hassle of engaging different groups of contractors, I fell for his scam. Over the weeks, he requested for more deposits for additional works to be done. Before external house painting done, couldn't get him but his workers still turned up for work, minus supervisor and him. Ended up I did the supervising, etc. very tiring & stressful.

Amount he ran off with was quite substantial but not worth the trouble & cost of engaging blood sucking lawyer.

hopefully its not!

nevertheless, I already lodged a report and his days are numbered . . . managed to track him by other contractors coz its a very very small country here. but you are right, I dun think I can get back my $ by then . . . just a lesson learnt and good karma will arrive next......

true, its tiring & stressful overseeing those workers on your beloved house - but i told myself its a historical event that at least I can see thru' these myself . . . just to keep the sprirt high........ ;-)

yes, I enjoying housekeeping after the stressful works & business travels.....

it actually calm your head and modesty to humbleness . . . cheers!

If I lay artificial carpet grass , I will do a golf putting green . [rolleyes]

from what's available, I can only do up a 8 multiples-cross landscapes . . .

you will get bored after awhile bcos of the limited space . . .

I have kids & dog, as such gonna forsake the idea in order to share with them . . . [:/]

btw, golfing turf will look unnatural in a house garden plot - that's what I was told.............

It appears u already settled on artificial grass. Positive aspect is the easy maintenance, different colour tone, texture & height. You could lay it yourself too.

No point stayin on landed when every bit of land is paved up. Agree with u on this view.

The green would look nice in linear pattern around the pool.

this is what me & wifey have been thinking . . . it could be fustrations after efforts made to maintain the lawn but without receiving its evergreen . . . and that pursue of perfection against nature can be very tiring as well.

expectation on garden greeneries is totally higher than roof top greeneries

you cannot trust domestic maids nowadays, sigh.

I wonder if anyone any experiences in Artificial grass carpets; there are so many typpes & brandnames . . .

like..... is it necessary to have drainage cell sheets prior laying grass carpet even after a well layered of white sands to level the ground etc.???

Recommendations, any?