Income and the type of Car

tcb123123

Thank you.

ES250 is my limit, happy enough liao.

Congrats on your choice, luxury n yet Toyota reliability. Have you decided on the Colour?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

My own personal observation: After 35 yrs of driving, and having driven almost everything from a Hyundai to a Mercedes, one thing I've always experienced; the intrinsic value and joy of owning a car lasts about 18-24 months or so before it starts to diminish, regardless what brand or how good it is. After that, it pretty much just becomes 'a car' and a mode of transport. By the third year or sooner, you'll probably be itching to change it, especially when you see every other new model on the road. And, you'll begin to give yourself every illogical reason to do so. And, if you succumb, you'll take a heavy financial hit on the depreciation, (and almost always, the more expensive the car, the higher the hit) and the cycle goes on. If you don't succumb, it just becomes 'a car'. So unless you're extremely wealthy, (and, one honestly should discount the hope of future potential income, especially in deciding on the purchase of a high and rapidly depreciating asset) it really only makes sense, if at all, to purchase a moderately priced, reliable car. But then again, logic is very often a casualty of impulse. Just saying.

sounds like me haha... my 4 or 5 cars in 10yrs....
  • Praise 1

Yeo Cheow Tong also if anyone still remember him.

Bro, thanks for your advice.

I am happy that you have decided on the ES as I think it is a good buy.

Of course it is a lot of money but your money is for you to spend within your means. A big regret in life would be to die without utilising one's hard-earned money.

By the way, Tan Cheng Bok drove a Lexus too.

My humble advice

You have been driving B&B cars for 15 years, you know very well the quality of made, the ride, the practicality, the enjoyment as well as the respect you have experienced so far.

You have done your math, your number looks healthy and no apparent risk as in might have to give up something to pay for the car for now and also future. Also seemed to have already taken care of other area of needs. You are more of seeking a justification to pamper yourself and your family.

The real cost difference is actually the $220k minus the B&B car that you are driving and of course the associated upkeeping costs, unless you do also consider not to drive at all.

It is true that ES is about $30k off the list price with the conditions of over trade, taking loan and insurance from them and others. Such tactic is often used to protect the premium price bracket, perceived value i.e. positioning. Many brands including Merc are also known to employ this tactic but not known to be as drastic as Lexus, usually around $5k - $15k. Hence it does suggest that Lexus price is rather "rubberband" and it is advisable to bargain real hard to save more money. 

Lexus is indeed a well made Japanese premium car made by Toyota's most experience master engineers team. Survey shows that Lexus also top the band in terms of reliability. It is also at times perceived as just another high priced Japanese product similar to Inifiniti where not to be compared with the major Germany marques, especially in Singapore. Hence explains a small part on why some lean towards other brands than Lexus, even more expensive and lower in specs.  

It is not easy to influence a person to buy a certain brand or model as each has their needs and wants. Car is also an extension of the owner's personality and attitude. Nevertheless, it is good to do more research to understand more perceived value and make more comparison. This is especially so when you ponder so hard to splurge the $220k.

Lastly, in my personal opinion, go for it but do more homework on which car to buy, $220k has a few good options, if you were to spend big bucks might as well enjoy the nitpick process. Buying is always the easiest and sales people will treat you very well.

Your call and happy upgrading.

• Praise 2

My humble advice

You have been driving B&B cars for 15 years, you know very well the quality of made, the ride, the practicality, the enjoyment as well as the respect you have experienced so far.

You have done your math, your number looks healthy and no apparent risk as in might have to give up something to pay for the car for now and also future. Also seemed to have already taken care of other area of needs. You are more of seeking a justification to pamper yourself and your family.

The real cost difference is actually the $220k minus the B&B car that you are driving and of course the associated upkeeping costs, unless you do also consider not to drive at all.

It is true that ES is about $30k off the list price with the conditions of over trade, taking loan and insurance from them and others. Such tactic is often used to protect the premium price bracket, perceived value i.e. positioning. Many brands including Merc are also known to employ this tactic but not known to be as drastic as Lexus, usually around $5k - $15k. Hence it does suggest that Lexus price is rather "rubberband" and it is advisable to bargain real hard to save more money. 

Lexus is indeed a well made Japanese premium car made by Toyota's most experience master engineers team. Survey shows that Lexus also top the band in terms of reliability. It is also at times perceived as just another high priced Japanese product similar to Inifiniti where not to be compared with the major Germany marques, especially in Singapore. Hence explains a small part on why some lean towards other brands than Lexus, even more expensive and lower in specs.  

It is not easy to influence a person to buy a certain brand or model as each has their needs and wants. Car is also an extension of the owner's personality and attitude. Nevertheless, it is good to do more research to understand more perceived value and make more comparison. This is especially so when you ponder so hard to splurge the $220k.

Lastly, in my personal opinion, go for it but do more homework on which car to buy, $220k has a few good options, if you were to spend big bucks might as well enjoy the nitpick process. Buying is always the easiest and sales people will treat you very well.

Your call and happy upgrading.

Thank you.

Had been driving B&B cars for past 15 over years, now just feel like buying a new better car price around $220k.

Financially ok, of course much better than 15 year ago when i started first my job. Now married with 2 kids, no house loan, miscellaneous loan, no expensive holiday, no expensive dinning. Annually combined income 230k(PA), very stable job both wife and myself foresee our income should reach 300k(PA) at 5 years time easily.

Feeling unsure now, will it considers "over stretching" for someone like me to buy a car at such price.

Can't decide, maybe you guys can help and share some of your view. What do you think?

Are you Tan Cheng bock? [sly]
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Haha...sorry, of course no.

He deserves a lot of respect and salutes.

Edited by tcb123123
  • Praise 1

no la he is tentative car buyer.... 123....then again 123....but now decide on lexus liao  [nod]

@tcb123123, please show pic of your car when you sign ok......everybody so support your thread.....  [thumbsup]

• Praise 4

no la he is tentative car buyer.... 123....then again 123....but now decide on lexus liao  [nod]

@tcb123123, please show pic of your car when you sign ok......everybody so support your thread.....  [thumbsup]

He should buy.

Edited by Odyssey2011
  • Praise 2

Can buy a Rolex from me?

I don't even wear any watch my bro. Neither my wife. How to buy rolex from you? If i earn 200k per month i will buy from you even if i dont wear one. Edited by Andyngps

(edited)

Congrats. Just make sure the car is the same colour u ordered.....

For true or untrue matters.

My 2 cents. If information presented make sense, it is a choice, can choose to believe. It information don't make sense, we should not believe.

Edited by tcb123123
↡ Advertisement