Car air-con

Discoburg

51 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Don't worry so much. If anything, just go back find Ah Kim. He will resolve it for you. I am sure he did a decent job. 

Good to know. Now my old car at least has something  new.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

Not that I want to scare you ........But hor....

Usually, when you have to discharge the gas to do repair,  the drier is always replaced as it is usually the only place where there is a filter, hence, all the debris is stopped there lor.

And it is a low cost item compared to the compressor or condenser lor.  Check where is the drier for your car ?  Integrated at the Condenser or Suction pipe....

The following should be changed :

a) Suction Pipe where there is a drier. 

b) Discharge Pipe - Where spoil or not, it is because it is a rubber pipe and the high pressure exist lor.

c) Expansion Valve ....... this is probably the most prone to breakage one.  It is usually jammed open or closed.  This regulate the pressure to the evaporator (coiling), if the expansion valve failure cause icing, it will break the evaporator lor .......

How long the mechanic do the vacuum, also matter lor ........ Vacuuming is to purge the air in the system, the most important thing is to remove water (vapour) lor ......... Water boil away because without pressure, water readily become a gaseous state lor.  Good one need..... as long as 45mins.  Most aircon man in SG say 30 seconds wor .....

Then hor, the adding of oil into the system,

d) Change pipe add back 10~30ml PER Pipe.

e) New compressor is always prefilled with 100~150ml, so no need to do anything. Just need to check during unpacking if there is leak mark at the joint point.  This is due to transportation.

f) Evaporator and Condenser add 30~50ml PER device.

Of course got add, the mechanic say ...... there lor, that little bottle .....

Anw, just look see ba ........ since it is already done ..... it is not going to die immediately ...... usually in years one .....

Mercedes drier usually integrated into the condenser. 

• Praise 2

When I start the car, there is a stale smell coming out of the air-con that disappears after running the air-con for a minute.

Anyone know the cause and how to fix this?  

On 6/1/2022 at 2:24 PM, VictorLim said:

When I start the car, there is a stale smell coming out of the air-con that disappears after running the air-con for a minute.

Anyone know the cause and how to fix this?  

Mould inside the ducts.

Before cutting the engine when parked, open the windows and switch to fan mode only for at least 5 min to dry out the mould.  Repeat until the smell disappears.

In future, when you are in the car, always switch on the air-con at lower temperature 20-23 degC to reduce humidity.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:18 PM, Lovemyride said:

Hello Discoburg, fellow Mz2 owner here.  

Had the same problem as you recently. Went to Mark Cool at Woodlands after reading reviews of various workshops. Ah Huat suspected it's the condenser after I described the problem and he hooked up the meter. Gave me a quote which I agreed. Then he started to remove the stuff to confirm if it's really the condenser. He showed me the oil leaks. Went ahead with the job, OEM condenser. Total damage $400 + gst, 3 hours. 

I might've been able to get it done a bit cheaper elsewhere but I was happy with the level of detail and friendliness.

He said parts don't last long nowadays. Only 3 years be it original or OEM. Many other makes are also like this but maybe it's true that Mazda parts are more expensive than other Jap brands.

Mz2 owner here, changed my condenser at Mark Cool almost 4 years ago, the shop charged me $550, what he said is true about parts don't last long, now the center and passenger side's vents are blowing warm air again during super hot day...

On 6/1/2018 at 5:35 PM, Discoburg said:
On 6/1/2018 at 5:05 PM, Fcw75 said:

Sorry once again.

I won't recommend to anyone liao.

When the aircon was down, I went to Tomika and without checking anything just tell me to do aircon flushing with the machine.

After that I went to Kim and the boss himself took the trouble to check and pinpoint the problem. He said machine aircon flushing is not necessary.

So anyone if ever want a aircon shop, can give New Luck recommended by bro kb27 next time.

Come on bro. It’s not your fault. Kim’s service is good. Just that I was taken aback when people say $530 too expensive. Maybe the new Mazda part expensive?

I think so, mine was $550, but it was OEM not mazda original. Yours original? I think u won't be able to know how long it lasted as u already changed to Mz3...

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Cumzilla said:

I think so, mine was $550, but it was OEM not mazda original. Yours original? I think u won't be able to know how long it lasted as u already changed to Mz3...

Yes original. Yeah.

@Cumzilla I still have my 2015 Mz2. Can you monitor and provide more description on your issue? 

On super hot day blow warm air - is your car moving or not? In traffic jam? 

One year after I changed condenser at Mark Cool, I realised when I stopped at traffic lights, the AC compressor doesn't kick in and out very fast, most of the time blowing fan only, can get quite hot even at 18 degrees setting. Went to Yigo at Ubi, diagnosed is the interior sensor problem. He said common with Mazda cars. 

Sensor problem means the climate control thinks that the interior is already cold enough (but actually it is hotter than that), so the compressor doesn't kick in. 

Was telling myself should have bought the base spec which doesn't come with climate control then less headache. 

(edited)
17 hours ago, Cumzilla said:

Mz2 owner here, changed my condenser at Mark Cool almost 4 years ago, the shop charged me $550, what he said is true about parts don't last long, now the center and passenger side's vents are blowing warm air again during super hot day...

It may not be a condenser problem again, could  be a compressor problem or there might be pipe leaking somewhere .

Edited by Ct3833

(edited)
17 hours ago, Cumzilla said:

I am not sure if Mazada makes condensers, most of the condersers are OEM  hardly or if any so call original. Denso is one of the better OEM compressors and condenser manufacturer, not sure who else.

Edited by Ct3833

7 hours ago, Lovemyride said:

@Cumzilla I still have my 2015 Mz2. Can you monitor and provide more description on your issue? 

On super hot day blow warm air - is your car moving or not? In traffic jam? 

One year after I changed condenser at Mark Cool, I realised when I stopped at traffic lights, the AC compressor doesn't kick in and out very fast, most of the time blowing fan only, can get quite hot even at 18 degrees setting. Went to Yigo at Ubi, diagnosed is the interior sensor problem. He said common with Mazda cars. 

Sensor problem means the climate control thinks that the interior is already cold enough (but actually it is hotter than that), so the compressor doesn't kick in. 

Was telling myself should have bought the base spec which doesn't come with climate control then less headache. 

Car is moving, I also thought it was sensor problem at first when I do not set auto and turn all the way right for the middle knob, driver side vents are cold but the ones in the middle and passenger not as cold. All your vents blowing fan? I agree the auto climate control is a headache, when super hot day set auto it is just basically blowing fan and super noisy...What did the workshop do for u for the interior sensor problem?

7 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

I am not sure if Mazada makes condensers, most of the condersers are OEM  hardly or if any so call original. Denso is one of the better OEM compressors and condenser manufacturer, not sure who else.

Mark cool did show me the original condenser with the mazda logo, if I remember correctly, think cost $100 more...or maybe mazda using Denso condenser but put its logo??

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Cumzilla said:

Mark cool did show me the original condenser with the mazda logo, if I remember correctly, think cost $100 more...or maybe mazda using Denso condenser but put its logo??

Then i am wrong but still, likely a mazada labeled condenser . If for a $100 more i dont mine paying for oroginal original 😄 

45 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Then i am wrong but still, likely a mazada labeled condenser . If for a $100 more i dont mine paying for oroginal original 😄 

thinking back, maybe i kena carrot head there, thread starter paid almost same price for original elsewhere and another mazda owner paid $100 lesser for the OEM a year later, won't be going back there definitely...

On 7/24/2022 at 4:08 PM, Cumzilla said:

Car is moving, I also thought it was sensor problem at first when I do not set auto and turn all the way right for the middle knob, driver side vents are cold but the ones in the middle and passenger not as cold. All your vents blowing fan? I agree the auto climate control is a headache, when super hot day set auto it is just basically blowing fan and super noisy...What did the workshop do for u for the interior sensor problem?

Try going to another aircon WS to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion before proceeding with any repairs. 

For my case, they replaced the sensor. Part was about $80-100 I think, but it is a labour intensive job, whole dashboard had to be removed. Maybe JB will be cheaper but I did mine when borders were shut. I left my car overnight at Yigo, so if you decide to do it in JB, do plan ahead. 

I didn't use auto mode since day 1 for the reasons you mentioned. Usually put Fan 2 or 3. 

14 hours ago, Lovemyride said:

Try going to another aircon WS to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion before proceeding with any repairs. 

For my case, they replaced the sensor. Part was about $80-100 I think, but it is a labour intensive job, whole dashboard had to be removed. Maybe JB will be cheaper but I did mine when borders were shut. I left my car overnight at Yigo, so if you decide to do it in JB, do plan ahead. 

I didn't use auto mode since day 1 for the reasons you mentioned. Usually put Fan 2 or 3. 

fan 2 or 3? u changed the air con panel knobs also as per the image below?

if need to leave overnight, then may not consider going to workshop u mentioned, driving in to msia is a no no for me...

(edited)
10 hours ago, Cumzilla said:

fan 2 or 3? u changed the air con panel knobs also as per the image below?

if need to leave overnight, then may not consider going to workshop u mentioned, driving in to msia is a no no for me...

I didn't change the panel knobs. I believe the top pic is for the standard version (no climate control). 

Higher spec Mazda 2 (in 2015 they called it Deluxe) has climate control which is the bottom pic. You see the left knob can set the temperature from 18 degrees to 32 degrees. And have automatic mode. 

I don't think you can simply change the top panel to the bottom one, because the bottom one has additional sensors in the car, more costly which is why it usually appears on higher spec models. 

I dropped my car off at about 4pm, collected 9am the next morning. They were good, cos I dropped off on a Friday, Friday evening no car already so sian. He worked on my car until 10pm so that I can collect first thing on Saturday. Maybe if you drop off in the morning, evening can collect. In SG still ok for overnight, I wouldn't do that in JB. 

Edited by Lovemyride

7 hours ago, Lovemyride said:

I didn't change the panel knobs. I believe the top pic is for the standard version (no climate control). 

Higher spec Mazda 2 (in 2015 they called it Deluxe) has climate control which is the bottom pic. You see the left knob can set the temperature from 18 degrees to 32 degrees. And have automatic mode. 

I don't think you can simply change the top panel to the bottom one, because the bottom one has additional sensors in the car, more costly which is why it usually appears on higher spec models. 

I dropped my car off at about 4pm, collected 9am the next morning. They were good, cos I dropped off on a Friday, Friday evening no car already so sian. He worked on my car until 10pm so that I can collect first thing on Saturday. Maybe if you drop off in the morning, evening can collect. In SG still ok for overnight, I wouldn't do that in JB. 

oh ok, because u were saying you set the knob to number 2 or 3, so I thought yours is something like the top panel in the pic. Mine is the deluxe version, the bottom panel. Still dunno what is the issue though, I suspect is the sensor also, but if sensor, all should be blowing fan correct? Last few days not so hot, again driver side colder when I set the first knob in between 18 and 25, center and passenger ones not so cold, will drive to ws next month to check...

↡ Advertisement