2014 / 2015 BMW 2 Series Active / Gran Tourer

slickshifters

aiyoh, calculate until so difficult, just use my spreadsheet to see depreciation, gross profit margin lor...

never calculate so much liao :D

checking to see got interest or not mah :D

↡ Advertisement

Understand that this 2 series GT comes in Luxury trim which includes Navigation, real leather and some other items whereas the Active Tourer comes in Business trim and at $16k diff, this GT sounds good value for money bearing in mind that the previous AT Petrol version had a $10k diff between Business and Luxury. Am I right? Any comments?

• Praise 3

Understand that this 2 series GT comes in Luxury trim which includes Navigation, real leather and some other items whereas the Active Tourer comes in Business trim and at $16k diff, this GT sounds good value for money bearing in mind that the previous AT Petrol version had a $10k diff between Business and Luxury. Am I right? Any comments?

yes - the current 216D-GT comes in the Luxury package.

as far as i know, this includes ...

i cut and paste one ... so please reconfirm package with sales

- parking distance control

- parking assistant

- connectedrive - concierge service

- connectedrive - intelligent emergency call

- connectedrive - real time traffic information

- connectedrive - remote services

- connectedrive - teleservices

- chrome line exterior

- comfort access for opening/closing of bootlid

- fine-wood trim

- fog-lights

- guidance package

- leather seats

- electronic driver seat

yes - the current 216D-GT comes in the Luxury package.

as far as i know, this includes ...

i cut and paste one ... so please reconfirm package with sales

- parking distance control

- parking assistant

- connectedrive - concierge service

- connectedrive - intelligent emergency call

- connectedrive - real time traffic information

- connectedrive - remote services

- connectedrive - teleservices

- chrome line exterior

- comfort access for opening/closing of bootlid

- fine-wood trim

- fog-lights

- guidance package

- leather seats

- electronic driver seat

Thanks bro! What's your take? 1.5l diesel can pull a 1.5tonne car with additional weight from 7 possible adults? I think for City driving shld be ok but not the spirited driving of conventional BMWs?

Seems to me, they really want to push this car in view of their pricing which is very unlike PML or is my sums wrong? One bro mentioned $36k OMV which means a small (by PML standards) margin of around $25k. The 216AT margin is much more surprisingly.

• Praise 3

Thanks bro! What's your take? 1.5l diesel can pull a 1.5tonne car with additional weight from 7 possible adults? I think for City driving shld be ok but not the spirited driving of conventional BMWs?

Seems to me, they really want to push this car in view of their pricing which is very unlike PML or is my sums wrong? One bro mentioned $36k OMV which means a small (by PML standards) margin of around $25k. The 216AT margin is much more surprisingly.

i have my reservations about the 1.5 diesel as well but since its a "mini-mpv" i guess one cannot expect the same ride as the other beemers. FWD some more, so have to discount that as well. my other concern is about maintenance as i have never owned a diesel. 

as for the OMV - i saw the $36K OMV quote as well. i'm not entirely convinced that (a) the omv will be that high (b) pml would be making such a small profit. so for my own calculations, i'm using a more conservative number of $25K so after the CEVS rebate of $10K, PARF at the end of the 10th year will be $8.7K only ... (not that i will use the full 10 years)

overall, the 216D-GT has all the bells and whistles. really not much more that can be added to the car. $165K, probably is about right, which is why people have to think hard .... a higher price, no one needs to think as its out of reach, a lower price, everyone will jump on-board. so this current $165K price tag is just right. make people have to think hard :D

• Praise 2

Diesel is the most ideal for carrying large loads, especially in Singapore traffic. Can't go fast, but can pull. Torque is your friend. Similarly, if you want the VW Touran, go for the TDI.

• Praise 1

Diesel is the most ideal for carrying large loads, especially in Singapore traffic. Can't go fast, but can pull. Torque is your friend. Similarly, if you want the VW Touran, go for the TDI.

Ok thks bro for the advice! Not many owners driving diesel so can't get much feedback.

Any idea if the maintenance of diesel is similar to petrol engines?

Hearing 2 sides of the coin, Citroen SE ever showed the servicing price lists to friend and compared to their previous petrol versions and it showed more or less same. However, heard from some owners that diesel engines require more maintenance? Thks!

• Praise 4

Ok thks bro for the advice! Not many owners driving diesel so can't get much feedback.

Any idea if the maintenance of diesel is similar to petrol engines?

Hearing 2 sides of the coin, Citroen SE ever showed the servicing price lists to friend and compared to their previous petrol versions and it showed more or less same. However, heard from some owners that diesel engines require more maintenance? Thks!

I've been driving a BMW 520d for the last 1.5 years. It's not as refined as petrol for sure, but I love the torque that's readily available at low RPMs. You do have to adapt your driving style though... when I first switched from petrol, I was used to revving the engine to get power, but revving a diesel gets you no where... the power drops off pretty quickly at around 4k+ rpm. So you'll need to catch the engine at its peak, around 2k rpm to get the best performance.

I can't tell you for sure about the long-term maintenance cost as I have not owned the car long enough but from overseas owners, diesel is indeed cheaper to run in terms of fuel cost and maintenance.

Engine oil is the same as petrol - same oil, same oil change interval. No spark plugs to change for diesel. FC is better too. Oil filter is a tad more expensive than petrol but I think that's just because my car is rare in SG. Diesel cars are mostly turbocharged though, which may mean it's more prone to reliability issues but most petrol engines are also turbo these days so the comparison is now on a level field. The added bonus of a diesel engine is that the engine block is likely of stronger material than petrol due to the inherent nature of a diesel engine, but that also means weight (diesel engine are usually heavier). Also, some may worry about the diesel particulate filter (DPF) for Euro5 emissions... for me... so far so good, fingers crossed.

Everything else in the car is the same as the petrol variant... suspension, steering, gearbox, etc.

• Praise 5

I've been driving a BMW 520d for the last 1.5 years. It's not as refined as petrol for sure, but I love the torque that's readily available at low RPMs. You do have to adapt your driving style though... when I first switched from petrol, I was used to revving the engine to get power, but revving a diesel gets you no where... the power drops off pretty quickly at around 4k+ rpm. So you'll need to catch the engine at its peak, around 2k rpm to get the best performance.

I can't tell you for sure about the long-term maintenance cost as I have not owned the car long enough but from overseas owners, diesel is indeed cheaper to run in terms of fuel cost and maintenance.

Engine oil is the same as petrol - same oil, same oil change interval. No spark plugs to change for diesel. FC is better too. Oil filter is a tad more expensive than petrol but I think that's just because my car is rare in SG. Diesel cars are mostly turbocharged though, which may mean it's more prone to reliability issues but most petrol engines are also turbo these days so the comparison is now on a level field. The added bonus of a diesel engine is that the engine block is likely of stronger material than petrol due to the inherent nature of a diesel engine, but that also means weight (diesel engine are usually heavier). Also, some may worry about the diesel particulate filter (DPF) for Euro5 emissions... for me... so far so good, fingers crossed.

Everything else in the car is the same as the petrol variant... suspension, steering, gearbox, etc.

Thks bro! Didn't know you owned a diesel and nvr knew PML sold 520d. 

Very good comprehensive info from an owner, much appreciated and owe u 5, cheers!!

• Praise 4

VW Touran TDI

... carries same number of people as the 216D-GT

... specs-wise might be a little less than the 216D-GT

... price-wise is approximately $38K cheaper than the 216D-GT

... think model refresh coming up in 2016

... brand-wise ??? 

Tough call.

Similar to Bro Spring, thanks for this. I'm also a diesel newbie and concerned about the running cost.

• Praise 1

I paid a deposit for this car 2 weeks ago. Here is the standard equipment list:

dfc2f607-9f92-4065-b0f8-d831f12469c3.jpg

The standard equipment list is not bad considering that this is a so called 'budget' BMW.

We like the 7 seats though it is quite tight in the 3rd row, but I think it is still bearable for short trips.

Will make a final decision after the test drive and see if we want to go ahead with the deal.

• Praise 4

is the electric seat for front passenger and cruise control?

Front passenger has electric seats, and driver has electric seats with memory. I'm not sure about cruise control, didn't ask.

• Praise 1

But no test drive, u buy?

Its not listed in their price list. When is expected delivery? Has model been approved by LTA for registration?

It is a $5000 deposit that is fully refundable if you don't like the car after test drive. Car is under homologation now, can only test drive after passed.

Delivery should be before end of December.

What is estimated depreciation per year? :D

I don't know, it's too complicated. Scrap value should be low due to the CEVS rebate. Will get into the details after the test drive.

↡ Advertisement