Operating Exhaust [updated 2019]

_Sam_

Turbocharged

Hi guys,

I have been searching for threads regarding modding exhausts but couldnt find the info i needed. As such, started this new thread here.

My bro-in-law bought a Perodua Myvi (previous gen) through a parallel importer some time back and is looking to zhng the exhaust to sound more bassy (something along the lines of the Imprezas in the early 2000s) but couldnt find any LTA approved exhausts after asking around.

So we went to Skyrex Exhausts recently. They mentioned they can customize the exhausts to fit the car. The actual words they used were "use stock exhausts operate". They didnt elaborate much as we visited them close to their closing timing.

Can anyone here provide some wisdom on what exactly do they mean and if its street legal?

{PS: Sorry for asking such a noob question, am new to this whole car mod-ing game and thank you in advance!}

I don't remember Imprezas having bassy sounding exhaust in the early 2000s, unless you are talking about the flapping droning exhaust sound of the WRX...which no matter how you operate your exhaust, will never get that effect.

To get that you need to have an uneven header which is only possible with a boxer engine or a V type engine. The Perodua is an inline 4 (or 3?) engine.

Anyway based on past modding experience, if you like to mod, you should have never gotten a NA engine car. NA there's nothing to play in the legal field. All the NA mods like the 4-2-1 headers, decat, straightthru, operate exhaust are all out of legal boundaries as they are consider "exhaust mods". To make matters worst the gains are so little it's not worth the fine and summons.

Want to mod? Get a car with Turbo. Turbo modding is much more versatile and mainly within legal boundary cos the intercooler, pipes and even the turbo itself are considered "intake mods" which LTA mostly bochup. Even without changing the turbo you can get visible gains with only chip tuning. Hack even a small 1.0 turbo car like the Suzuki Swift can go far without going illegal.

So my suggestion to your Bro-in-Law. What to mod? Change car first..

Edited by Pocus
↡ Advertisement

Hahahahahahahaha you so bad one.  :a-fun:  :a-m1524:  :a-m1212:  :a-whiteflag:

Not that. He has failed to accord respect to what others wishes and even have to comment, it really need not be so crude.

Don't waste time. Change to a proper exhaust.

That again it's a Myvi, all the more don't waste time and money.

Take the money and treat the family to a good meal.

Cause noise pollution some more.

Not that. He has failed to accord respect to what others wishes and even have to comment, it really need not be so crude.

His comments represent his view and I find it frank and candid. There is no point wasting money to create more noise and cause more suffer to the pubic just because of one's desire. Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 2

(edited)

I understand where u are coming from. Well, its just his way of phrasing his experience/opinion. As the OP, I dont feel offended.

Anyway, we are all here to learn so thank you everyone for sharing!

Edited by _Sam_
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Operating the exhaust means to remove the internal baffles and piping in the (mistaken) hope that it would somehow turn your cut-rate economy hatch into an exotic-car beater.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1