Difficult PSLE 2019 Math Question!

Pratakosong

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

No lah. Just comparing to my time. Generally I approve of the way they teach math in school. Like even though my girl is p1.

There is a strong lesson plan in place. They really try hard to teach logic and abstract reasoning which was sorely missing when I was growing up. We were just taught to be calculators rather than use reasoning. 

If I am not wrong about it, when P4 times comes, you will likely be the one tutoring math to your children. Then you will be the math expert here.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I guess the days of knowing how to answer everything in PSLE and only getting wrong for careless mistakes are gone... [:p]

I would say Maths now compare to our days is totally different.

Now there is a lot of English involve in the question. If you cannot digest the english, you cannot even lift the pen to write. ( not the DEAD-BRAIN kind of questions during our time)

And Schools nowadays expect kids to have a lot of background on the subjects (presumably at home). The school just supplement it. (our days is the other way round)

So I jump in the wagon and learn on my own. I actually learn a lot from Bro Ender. 

Replying this thread now (4am). It was like a norm for me to wake up this time(for countless nites) to self-teach maths or to think of a more efficient way to answer Science section B structured questions...…….its really really hard. I really pity my son. (that's also why ive been inactive from MCF for a long long time)

The journey was very tough.

My son was still getting Maths sub 50s for the whole P5 duration, even after guiding him for 1 full year.

Fortunately P6 he manage to grasp it. P6 CA1 : 53%. SA1: 63%. SA2: suddenly he kai qiao and got 92.5 %(Pei Chun).

That period between school SA2 exam and the PSLE exam, he did 10 x 2018 SA2 paper. The usual Rosyth, Henry, Cat high..... Scores range from 77% to 94%.

Days before D-Day, we tone down a lot and he only did 3 more maths papers...... 2019 SA2 paper for Nanyang, RGS, Nan Hua(in my opinion the toughest). He got sub 80s.

Not RI standard, but he has come a long long way.

• Praise 6

3 hours ago, Hiphiphoray said:

Now there is a lot of English involve in the question. If you cannot digest the english, you cannot even lift the pen to write. ( not the DEAD-BRAIN kind of questions during our time)

And Schools nowadays expect kids to have a lot of background on the subjects (presumably at home). The school just supplement it. (our days is the other way round)

So I jump in the wagon and learn on my own. I actually learn a lot from Bro Ender. 

Replying this thread now (4am). It was like a norm for me to wake up this time(for countless nites) to self-teach maths or to think of a more efficient way to answer Science section B structured questions...…….its really really hard. I really pity my son. (that's also why ive been inactive from MCF for a long long time)

My son was still getting Maths sub 50s for the whole P5 duration, even after guiding him for 1 full year.

Fortunately P6 he manage to grasp it. P6 CA1 : 53%. SA1: 63%. SA2: suddenly he kai qiao and got 92.5 %(Pei Chun).

That period between school SA2 exam and the PSLE exam, he did 10 x 2018 SA2 paper. The usual Rosyth, Henry, Cat high..... Scores range from 77% to 94%.

Days before D-Day, we tone down a lot and he only did 3 more maths papers...... 2019 SA2 paper for Nanyang, RGS, Nan Hua(in my opinion the toughest). He got sub 80s.

Your dedication is 👍

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Hiphiphoray said:

模范老爸👍👍👍。if MCF has MCF(Most Committed Father  ) of the month, I will vote you.

• Praise 1

All I know is that for the courses that I am taking now for work, if the answer is not found in the training notes "word by word", we will go bang table to the training school! lol. 

And make sure the company banned the training school from conducting courses in the company again. lol lol.

5 hours ago, Hiphiphoray said:

Wow this is true dedication indeed!

I think once everything comes together in the 2nd half of P6, your son is able to "connect the dots" between the different concepts and finally make sense of all the math questions!

Edited by Pratakosong
  • Praise 1

10 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Because you have no primary school going children, otherwsie you would know how to solve these type of questions. I remember parents have to attend their math solutuoning class when their kids are  at primary 4.  You cannot try to use algebra to solve it because primary students have not taught  algebra. 

my girl is primary 1.

Her recent school holiday math homework included basic learning of 4 factor permutation [dead]

9 hours ago, Ender said:

If I am not wrong about it, when P4 times comes, you will likely be the one tutoring math to your children. Then you will be the math expert here.

my wife is teacher. I'm principal [:p]

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

my girl is primary 1.

Her recent school holiday math homework included basic learning of 4 factor permutation [dead]

Seriously!? The schools are teaching permutations and combinations at P1? Maybe it's a math olympiad type enrichment class? 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Hiphiphoray said:

Tok gong lao peh!

2 hours ago, Ender said:

Your dedication is 👍

haha need to get more tips from you when my kid gets older. but i think my wife is generally on top of things. She also KSP lurker.

10 minutes ago, Pratakosong said:

Seriously!? The schools are teaching permutations and combinations at P1? Maybe it's a math olympiad type enrichment class? 

Nope leh. Just normal school work.

They teach it in quite a fun way. They give RGB colors to 3 boxes. Then ask them to shade the colors in for each box. 
So say Box 1 is Red, then shade the color B/G for the other 2 boxes. Then Box 1 is G, then shade colors for other 2 boxes. Then so on. Then add up all the different combinations to understand 3 factor permutation has 9 choices.
haha i thought that was the end of it and my girl could do it.

But then next day my wife got pissed and complain to me on messenger while i was at work, how come later on in the worksheet got 4 factor but don't use color, use ABCD instead !

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

my girl is primary 1.

Simi is 4 factor permutations? The only time I use this branch of math is when I bought 4D many years ago. 😅

• Haha! 1

Just now, Ender said:

Simi is 4 factor permutations? The only time I use this branch of math is when I bought 4D many years ago. 😅

what you doing so active in a PSLE thread, are you not suppose to be more active in the O level thread? [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

10 minutes ago, Ender said:

ABCD, ACBD, ADBC etc etc. 4 factors.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

ABCD, ACBD, ADBC etc etc. 4 factors.

so young teach them 4D 24 combination liao, mayb Singapore pools got sponsor the class..[:p][laugh][laugh]

I seriously lost touch of what primary school teaches now after my son got over his PSLE, but just the order night, both my younger kids told me P5-P6 now teaches basic algebra already...:huh:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

what you doing so active in a PSLE thread, are you not suppose to be more active in the O level thread? [:p][laugh][laugh]

O level too chim for me. Unable to relearn the A math. My son is on his own there, only can support for math tuition outside. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1