Help needed with a lock

therock

MCF is not only a place for cars but people who are knowledgeable and resourceful.

I've got an issue. I did some reno and I can't find the key to the lock of the cabinet housing the PUB meter, is there someone who can open it and make a key without destroying the lock / door? 

Thanks bros!

fullsizeoutput_10672.jpeg

↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator
22 minutes ago, therock said:

MCF is not only a place for cars but people who are knowledgeable and resourceful.

I've got an issue. I did some reno and I can't find the key to the lock of the cabinet housing the PUB meter, is there someone who can open it and make a key without destroying the lock / door? 

Thanks bros!

fullsizeoutput_10672.jpeg

I assume this is a Abloy key lock right? I think best is to get a locksmith to come and open it. This is quite hard to DIY one.

You can consider getting a number lock to lock your key beside. Last time I go Japan and stay Airbnb and they have this!

60fe818c0d25c1e47e01b27214ba91aa.jpg

https://www.lazada.sg/products/bellamall-metal-security-password-lock-key-box-outdoor-self-reset-secret-number-safety-i267249705-s415340359.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.51.3b663ccdXlMkgn&search=1

There are a few choices.

If me I would just use a portable drill and drill thru the lock, let it come apart (anyway no key what so why bother to protect the lock?) and replace it with a door catch rather dan a lock cos no need a key. Probably cost a lot less than calling a locksmith that will cost at least $70 to drive down to your place.

That's provided you are a diy person.

Another option is to ask your neighbour and see whether he/she has a key to his/her utility door. If you are lucky you will open it with ease with his/her key.

Other option will be trying your luck with your town council.

Anyway for my block they replace the lock with no lock. Just twist and pull open door. More convenient cos ppl always loses the key. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Just insert a suitable screw driver and you can force twist it open.  It is usually secured with nut at the back. After that just buy a replacement for hardware shop with keys for a few dollars. Locksmith is going to cost at least 10 times more! 

And just leave your new keys in the letter box so it won't go missing again! 

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2