Jump to content

Recommended Posts

OK, I am trying out a new series of automotive related discussion thread. Let me know if you prefer something like these or otherwise.

There are hundreds of new model been rolled out worldwide by varies auto manufacturers each year, but the naming convention can be very different among manufacturer. Some would goes with fanciful or eye catching name, such as i, Wake, Up!, Naked, Today, Morning, while others choose to stick with names that have past through several generations such as Corolla, Civic, Golf, and different sizes of paper (A1 to A8).

And here's the interesting part, not all model are the same as their predecessor (or ancestor). I don't mean the look of course, but it term of characteristic or even class. I will first use the following 2 examples for illustrating my point.

Škoda Rapid

The 2nd Generation (1984 - 1990) Škoda Rapid was famous being described as "the poor man’s Porsche" after Autocar and Motor defined the Škoda Rapid "a beginners' course to the 911", as it had a rear-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive, just like the Porsche 911. This generation of Rapid is gaining in popularity as a classic car with Garde and convertible models being most sought after.

skoda_rapid_21.jpg

skoda_rapid_3.jpg

The current 4th Generation (2012 onward) Škoda Rapid are: a 5-door liftback and a hatchback originating from Europe, a 4-door sedan from China based on the same platform, and India's version of a smaller sedan Rapid originating from India, based on the PQ25 platform, all FWD and loaded with smallish and eco friendly 1.0 - 1.6L engine.

skoda_rapid_22.jpg

skoda_rapid_spaceback_17.jpg

In your opinion, should a nameplate be used only on the same type of car, so as to link it with its heritage, or it doesn't really matter, as it is just a name afterall? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of one car like this is the Ford Puma. 

 

Used to be a coupe during the 00s. 

But now they revive the name and use it on a CUV. 😕 

Still prefer the coupe over the CUV. 

 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep what works. If the model is not distinguished enough to keep it's name or it's name is taken away by it's own manufacturer. Then just change lor.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyundai bestest. Change name maciam change underwear liddat

Hyundai Excel become Accent

Hyundai Sonata become i45 then back to Sonata

Hyundai Elantra become Avante then back to Elantra then back to Avante......

Maciam korean plastic surgery sia can change this n that anytime 😊

 

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say the Suzuki Vitara is quite different to the first generation model which was a body on frame architecture and had a transfer case for off-road usage, in contrast to the current compact crossover that sits on a monocoque chassis.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I can think of one car like this is the Ford Puma. 

 

Used to be a coupe during the 00s. 

But now they revive the name and use it on a CUV. 😕 

Still prefer the coupe over the CUV. 

 

I hope Kia collaborates with Ford. 

Then we can get the Pu(ki)ma. 😂

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

OK, I am trying out a new series of automotive related discussion thread. Let me know if you prefer something like these or otherwise (through praise or comment).

There are hundreds of new model been rolled out worldwide by varies auto manufacturers each year, but the naming convention can be very different among manufacturer. Some would goes with fanciful or eye catching name, such as i, Wake, Up!, Naked, Today, Morning, while others choose to stick with names that have past through several generations such as Corolla, Civic, Golf, and different sizes of paper (A1 to A8).

And here's the interesting part, not all model are the same as their predecessor (or ancestor). I don't mean the look of course, but it term of characteristic or even class. I will first use the following 2 examples for illustrating my point.

Škoda Rapid

The 2nd Generation (1984 - 1990) Škoda Rapid was famous being described as "the poor man’s Porsche" after Autocar and Motor defined the Škoda Rapid "a beginners' course to the 911", as it had a rear-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive, just like the Porsche 911. This generation of Rapid is gaining in popularity as a classic car with Garde and convertible models being most sought after.

skoda_rapid_21.jpg

skoda_rapid_3.jpg

The current 4th Generation (2012 onward) Škoda Rapid are: a 5-door liftback and a hatchback originating from Europe, a 4-door sedan from China based on the same platform, and India's version of a smaller sedan Rapid originating from India, based on the PQ25 platform, all FWD and loaded with smallish and eco friendly 1.0 - 1.6L engine.

skoda_rapid_22.jpg

skoda_rapid_spaceback_17.jpg

In your opinion, should a nameplate be used only on the same type of car, so as to link it with its heritage, or it doesn't really matter, as it is just a name afterall? 

I would think a name plate should be put on a car to not misled buyers. Calling it rapid when it’s really slow is such a understatement 

😂 

  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I would think a name plate should be put on a car to not misled buyers. Calling it rapid when it’s really slow is such a understatement 

😂

If a manufacturer dare name it's car Superb, anything goes liao

Maybe for consistency, the Octavia shld be renamed Skoda Not Bad

 

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

skoda_rapid_spaceback_17.jpg

Isnt this called the Scala on carwow?

LoL...vw group has too many of the same car with different names. It's indeed confusing.

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

skoda_rapid_spaceback_17.jpg

Isnt this called the Scala on carwow?

LoL...vw group has too many of the same car with different names. It's indeed confusing.

That is the Rapid Spaceback underpinned by the PQ25 platform. The MQB Scala replaces the Spaceback hatch.

I guess you can say the design of the Rapid Spaceback and Scala is also same same but different.

 

scala_06.jpg

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is worse: Ford Mustang vs Ford Mustang Mach-e. Totally different kind of car.

 

2017-ford-mustang-v6-coupe-angular-front.png

mustang-mach-e.jpg

  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mach-e looks like a Vezel leh....

For the US PHV market perhaps?

 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, iamahbee said:

I would say the Suzuki Vitara is quite different to the first generation model which was a body on frame architecture and had a transfer case for off-road usage, in contrast to the current compact crossover that sits on a monocoque chassis.

You beat me to it. The Vitara today is so much different from the past generations, basically from a true off-roader to a crossover.

1st Generation (1988 - 1998)

autowp.ru_suzuki_vitara_5-door_uk-spec_3

2nd Generation (1998 - 2005)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_51.jpg

3rd Generation (2005 - 2015)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_61.jpg

4th Generation (2015 - Present)

suzuki_vitara_52_0137005e0df40a4d.jpg

  • Praise 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I can think of one car like this is the Ford Puma.

Used to be a coupe during the 00s. 

But now they revive the name and use it on a CUV. 😕 

Still prefer the coupe over the CUV. 

 

Agree with your view. The Puma nameplate look kind of weird on a CUV, not that I am bias... ...

4 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

This is worse: Ford Mustang vs Ford Mustang Mach-e. Totally different kind of car.

2017-ford-mustang-v6-coupe-angular-front.png

mustang-mach-e.jpg

Beside Mustang, there is another one from Japan: Mitsubishi Eclipse.

From these sport cars

autowp.ru_mitsubishi_eclipse_gsr-4_1.jpg

autowp.ru_mitsubishi_eclipse_jp-spec_2.j

mitsubishi_eclipse_15.jpg

mitsubishi_eclipse_gt_premium_sport_pack

 

and finally transform into a CUV...

mitsubishi_eclipse_cross_99.jpg

mitsubishi_eclipse_cross_2.jpg

mitsubishi_eclipse_cross_46.jpg

  • Praise 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

You beat me to it. The Vitara today is so much different from the past generations, basically from a true off-roader to a crossover.

1st Generation (1988 - 1998)

autowp.ru_suzuki_vitara_5-door_uk-spec_3

2nd Generation (1998 - 2005)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_51.jpg

3rd Generation (2005 - 2015)

suzuki_grand_vitara_5-door_61.jpg

4th Generation (2015 - Present)

suzuki_vitara_52_0137005e0df40a4d.jpg

But then Suzuki stay true with the JImny! hahha. Still a off-roader with lotsa fun! without lotsa space. hahahah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I hope Kia collaborates with Ford. 

Then we can get the Pu(ki)ma. 😂

Might also be a cool collaboration between Ford and VW, with the latter reviving the Bora nameplate to create the...

Pu-Bor

  • Haha! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, iamahbee said:

Might also be a cool collaboration between Ford and VW, with the latter reviving the Bora nameplate to create the...

Pu-Bor

Better 3 way with Kia. 

Pu bor kia. 😂

  • Haha! 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iamahbee said:

Might also be a cool collaboration between Ford and VW, with the latter reviving the Bora nameplate to create the...

Pu-Bor

 

2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Better 3 way with Kia. 

Pu bor kia. 😂

 

I can see if Singapore have a car brand, the car model name sure very colorful one. hahhaha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×